Thu, Apr 18, 4:34 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 18 3:11 am)

Subject: Chain Control Python Script for Poser 12 by Ken1171_Designs

Letterworks ( ) posted Thu, 09 December 2021 at 4:10 PM · edited Sat, 13 April 2024 at 5:05 PM

I'm surprised that this script hasn't been more discussed here! It seems to be a update to Ajax's Pose Underground but with some excellent updates and new features. for one it doesn't require being run thru another program to setup for the script to work. Just launch the script in Poser 12 and it will open a small panel with several sliders and parameters. Then choose and starting group, any group with a following chain of other groups, work the sliders and the chain with curl in the x,y or z direction. Teh documentation shows it used for things like ropes whips and tails but I imagine with some experimentation there may be many other uses that will develop especially in the clothing area. 

You can not save the actual movement dials in a figure (at least not as far as I've been able to find so far) but you can create a morph target that takes advantage of the final shape. I'm just starting to play with this, but I was wondering if anyone else has used it and what their thoughts are on it?

In no way affiliated this Ken1171_Designs just an interested user.

hornet3d ( ) posted Thu, 09 December 2021 at 8:15 PM · edited Thu, 09 December 2021 at 8:15 PM

undefined posted at 4:10 PM Thu, 9 December 2021 - #2967515

I'm surprised that this script hasn't been more discussed here! It seems to be a update to Ajax's Pose Underground but with some excellent updates and new features. for one it doesn't require being run thru another program to setup for the script to work. Just launch the script in Poser 12 and it will open a small panel with several sliders and parameters. Then choose and starting group, any group with a following chain of other groups, work the sliders and the chain with curl in the x,y or z direction. Teh documentation shows it used for things like ropes whips and tails but I imagine with some experimentation there may be many other uses that will develop especially in the clothing area. 

You can not save the actual movement dials in a figure (at least not as far as I've been able to find so far) but you can create a morph target that takes advantage of the final shape. I'm just starting to play with this, but I was wondering if anyone else has used it and what their thoughts are on it?

In no way affiliated this Ken1171_Designs just an interested user.

Actually I am surprised that a lot of Ken1171 Designs scripts are not discussed more here as they really are powerful and have a major impact on the day to day working with Poser.  I have been playing with the Chain Control script for a week or so and it is clearly a powerful script but that also means it means it is difficult to use or should I say it is difficult to use to get a specified shape.   I used it to bend a couple of fuel pipes used to refuel a aircraft which seems easy but it has a quite a few requirements, firstly there is a fixed point at both ends, unlike some whip poses, and the pipes should lay flat on the ground for most of the run.  I was able to come up with a decent result but at first it was hard to know which of the sliders to use and to what degree.  After a little playing I quickly began to understand the use and I am sure my skill will improve with time.  The point was I had a result which was something I had not achieved without this script.

This is not a criticism in any shape or form but this is true of many of  Ken1171 Designs in that while, on the face of it they are easy to use, they are so powerful it is not  immediately clear just where and when they can be used.  To his credit Ken1171 includes some detailed videos on each script's use but you quickly realise that the script has a major impact on your work methods once you start to use them, something you cannot expect and tutorial to explain.   I have found myself using them more and more each day to the degree I tend to forget they are separate scripts.  The change is quite profound and Poser seems almost a like a different program to use as is supplies a lot of capability you would expect to be a feature of the main program.  I am also a great fan of the way these particular scrips are installed and maintained.

I have no connection with Ken1171 other than that I love his work in general and have purchased all his scripts, with odd exception, as one or two are more vendor specific and I am not a vendor.

fbwJgpErJeer0VfoZGnMSJ35DRtN9iGTY7bYlmw7.jpg

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Letterworks ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2021 at 6:54 PM

Hi Hornet3d,

I agree with all you have said, especially the fact that the total usefulness of these scripts will take some time to begin to emerge. I never even thought of using them for hoses how did you make the fixed ends? I was thinking of how this could be used for something like a power line between say a backpack and a weapon, or even an ammo run. This is the sort of thing I would like to see, discussion that would spark people the try the scripts and push their limits.

hornet3d ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2021 at 7:44 PM

The fuel line was an easy pose figure that I already had in my runtime which I could never get to do what I wanted it to so it was a prime target for the new script.   As the pipe was a easy pose it was already segmented so I was able to lock one end of the fuel line to the fuel tank and then use the script to guide the other end of the pipe towards the aircraft by working on the intermediate sections.  It was not immediately intuitive and the movement was wild at first but I began to get use to the sliders in the script and get close to what a wanted and then tweak other sections to refine it.

I have some ropes in my runtime that are section in the same manner and also some chains that are easy pose.  The problem I found was it was so time consuming to get a convincing curve in the rope or a sag in the chains but that is so much easier to set up with this script.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Continuum256 ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2021 at 5:47 AM

Sounds good, but just for Poser 12, 

Does this Script need a activation and Permanent Internet connection ? Would be interesting to know before buying it ! as far as I know most ken1171 scripts need a connection in order to work.

Letterworks ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2021 at 10:46 AM

no activation or internet thatI can see, just install it like any other script on Poser. Yes, it is for Poser 12, as I don't work with Python I have no idea if the creator could write it for older version. 

JimTS ( ) posted Fri, 31 December 2021 at 3:20 PM
Continuum256 posted at 5:47 AM Sat, 11 December 2021 - #4431578

Does this Script need a activation and Permanent Internet connection ? Would be interesting to know before buying it ! as far as I know most ken1171 scripts need a connection in order to work.

Yes it "calls home" to the renderosity store

A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket
Charles Péguy

Heat and animosity, contest and conflict, may sharpen the wits, although they rarely do;they never strengthen the understanding, clear the perspicacity, guide the judgment, or improve the heart
Walter Savage Landor

So is that TTFN or TANSTAAFL?

JimTS ( ) posted Fri, 31 December 2021 at 3:59 PM
Continuum256 posted at 5:47 AM Sat, 11 December 2021 - #4431578

Yes it "calls home" to the renderosity store My Win 7 machine won't play that ****

A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket
Charles Péguy

Heat and animosity, contest and conflict, may sharpen the wits, although they rarely do;they never strengthen the understanding, clear the perspicacity, guide the judgment, or improve the heart
Walter Savage Landor

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 31 December 2021 at 4:06 PM

I'm telling mom lol.

JimTS ( ) posted Sat, 01 January 2022 at 9:57 AM

I fear an up sell to W10 is in my immediate future mamma Microsoft will know

Charles Péguy

Walter Savage Landor

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.