Thu, Mar 28, 6:06 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Mar 27 7:17 pm)

Subject: Can I extract .obj files from DS files?

arrowhead42 ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2021 at 1:42 PM · edited Thu, 28 March 2024 at 6:01 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm way behind the times I suppose and I don't use Daz Studio, but exclusively use Poser 11. I often see interesting props and such for use in Daz Studio and I'm wondering if it's possible to convert/extract anything like a .obj or.3DS file from them for use in other modeling applications or even in Poser

Here's the link to my freebies:   https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?uid=493127

"I can't stand it when people pointlessly repeat themselves. I can't stand it. I really can't!!"

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2021 at 2:05 PM

I've been using Dimension3D's DSF Toolbox (sold at DAZ). It allows you to convert DSF files to OBJs, without having DAZ Studio installed. It's Windows-only. It keeps the material zones, but you have to apply the materials manually. 

If you do install DAZ Studio, you could try using DSON (if you already have it; DAZ has removed it from their web site) or exporting via FBX.

Sunfire ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2021 at 4:46 PM

Or just export it as an object or a poser file.

Sunfire's Creations

arrowhead42 ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2021 at 4:52 PM

I'm so unfamiliar with Daz Studio.... I guess I should remedy that

Here's the link to my freebies:   https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?uid=493127

"I can't stand it when people pointlessly repeat themselves. I can't stand it. I really can't!!"

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2021 at 6:19 PM

You can try D3D's DSONLoader that can be found here.  It's a simple script that definitely works in P11 and it does not rely on a DAZStudio installation.  I've used it successfully on some DS-specific props imported into P11.  Associated material and morphs will import also.  

FVerbaas ( ) posted Thu, 09 December 2021 at 11:56 AM
Forum Coordinator

As far as I can see from the readme D3D's solution needs the DSON importer, which was based on Python2.  It can therefore not be used with Poser12. 

Best chances now are to let DS4 do the export. It is a bit of a hassle. There are some initiatives to develop a way to load DS4 props just like Poser props. Main hurdle is the conversion of the textures. DS applies them in a very different way. 

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Thu, 09 December 2021 at 3:22 PM

+1 for DSF Toolbox - it does a lot more than just conversions

adp001 ( ) posted Thu, 09 December 2021 at 3:42 PM
hborre posted at 6:19 PM Wed, 8 December 2021 - #4431472

You can try D3D's DSONLoader that can be found here.  It's a simple script that definitely works in P11 and it does not rely on a DAZStudio installation.  I've used it successfully on some DS-specific props imported into P11.  Associated material and morphs will import also.  

-----------
Description
-----------
This simple Python script allows you to load DSON files for DAZ Studio 4 and up in
Poser without requiring Poser companion files. Of course, you still need the DSON
importer for Poser from DAZ 3D.

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2021 at 5:30 AM

The original poster said he uses Poser 11 only. So DSONLoader could work, if he already has DSON. It's no longer available, but if you got it while it was available, it should still downloadable in your purchase history at DAZ.

DSF Toolbox is a standalone program, so Python versions shouldn't matter. However, it's Windows-only. The Mac version no longer works.

FVerbaas ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2021 at 6:24 AM
Forum Coordinator
As far as I can see the DSF Toolbox just loads the geometry into a ,obj and it does not support transfer of textures other than maybe a mat file pointing to diffuse, ambient and specular maps. It predates PBR, so not sure how maps intended for IRAY materials will come thru.

NikKelly ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2021 at 8:44 PM

When I've used it, ($$) DSF Toolbox just extracts the geometry. Usually, the model is sufficiently 'grouped' that you can apply textures in Material room, but you'll lose most of the subtleties.

Also, DSF Toolbox becomes very, very slow as model's poly-count grows. I found that, beyond the first Megabyte of OBJ, which is nigh instant, DSF Tools settles down to generate ~ 2MB/min. Which, given the complexity of many DS props, gives ample time to have a cuppa, check e-mail and/or play with the kitten...

Plan_B is to install DS, but only to use it for the OBJ+MTL export facility. Though its UI gives me a prompt migraine, link folder location as a library, load the model, export, un-link location. I've a free 'tutorial' in CAD section of 'the-nik-files' over at DA

https://www.deviantart.com/nik-2213/art/Porting-DAZ-Studio-props-to-Poser-friendly-OBJ-MTL-899045469

FWIW, DS' OBJ+MTL export facility is very, very fast, even for hi-poly models. For those, faffin' about with DS' ghastly UI is still much quicker than waiting for DSF Toolbox...

randym77 ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 12:00 AM

Odd that you've had such trouble with DSF Toolbox being slow. I haven't noticed that at all. When you mentioned it an earlier thread, I tried to time it with a 15 Mb hair model, and it converted so fast I couldn't. It was basically instant.

NikKelly ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 7:00 AM

It may depend on the topology, poly vs tri population etc etc, but I gave up on one DS model after ~25 mins, when it had generated a ~55 MB partial OBJ file.

By comparison, IIRC, entire DS export took less than thirty seconds: Enough time to notice the slim progress bar !!

Downside, even with my 'crib sheet', still took me 10~~15 mins to navigate DS' ghastly UI: I'm improving with practice, can do 2~~3 conversions before migraine strikes...

IIRC, final OBJ was ~65 MB so, if I'd lingered over second cuppa while waiting for DSF Tools...

Another factor is that I use ($$) 3DOC to add MTLs to DSF Tools' bare OBJs. As that does not yet handle OBJs over ~50 MB well, or texture maps other than 'diffuse', having DS supply OBJ + full MTL is very welcome. FWIW, I often use 3DOC to add MTLs to eg Noesis exports from SFM models, eg 'Garry's Mod' rips. 

Sadly, DSF Tools' prolific author has passed, so package is unsupported, stuck at x32, an x64 re-write unlikely.

randym77 ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 9:21 AM

Yes, DSF Toolbox is unlikely to be updated. Especially since it's at DAZ. Supposedly, Ralf's heirs have given Bondware permission to update the scripts in his store here.

I don't use DAZ Studio stuff enough to make it worth my while to install it. Plus it just doesn't seem to work well for me. It's been a few years since I last tried it, so maybe it's better now, but I found it very unstable. I don't mind applying materials manually. I kinda do that anyway. Firefly MAT files made for Poser 8 and below look terrible in newer versions of Firefly, Superfly materials made for Poser 11 don't always work in Poser 12, DAZ Studio materials look weird in Poser. And even if the material files work as designed, you can often greatly improve the look with better shaders.

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 7:54 PM · edited Sun, 12 December 2021 at 8:02 PM
randym77 posted at 9:21 AM Sun, 12 December 2021 - #4431691

unlikely to be updated. Especially since it's at DAZ.

LOL! That was good!! The South Park episode about comcast customer support, that's DAZ! haha

NYdB7g6Y5qqDFWuNtdVmn4ZxWEIXwjmR6J3b98d5.jpg

mjmdvm ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2021 at 7:36 AM

FYI.. If the OP is still having issues. Some of the newer prop sets at DAZ already have OBJ files in the package. If you download the zip manually from your DAZ product library, you might get lucky. 🙂

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2021 at 10:35 AM · edited Sun, 26 December 2021 at 10:38 AM
mjmdvm posted at 7:36 AM Sun, 26 December 2021 - #4432436

Some prop sets at DAZ already have OBJ files in the package

I was just looking at Urban Future 5 by stonemason and it DOES say: "OBJs with MTLs and Textures Included" in what's included, which is great because DSFTools cannot process DUF files (DAZ scene/prop files)

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2021 at 10:56 AM

Just a little info on my win10: I've P11 and P12 perfectly functional, except the dson importer part (I knew for P12, but it's broken, too for P+1).

That's why when I'd like to import in my P12 some stuff from daz, the genesis characters excepted, I'm going either the FBX way (it worked with stonemason's Pool House) or the Collada way (worked with LivingRoom+Patio)

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2021 at 1:31 PM
TwiztidKidd posted at 10:35 AM Sun, 26 December 2021 - #4432440
mjmdvm posted at 7:36 AM Sun, 26 December 2021 - #4432436

Some prop sets at DAZ already have OBJ files in the package

I was just looking at Urban Future 5 by stonemason and it DOES say: "OBJs with MTLs and Textures Included" in what's included, which is great because DSFTools cannot process DUF files (DAZ scene/prop files)

The geoemtry would be in the .dsf files in the daat folder anyway, not the user-facing .duf files (both use DSON notation).

NikKelly ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2021 at 7:51 PM

"...because DSFTools cannot process DUF files (DAZ scene/prop files)"

Sometimes, when there's only DUF files, you can use un-zipper of your choice to de-archive the DUF's DSF content. It will appear as an un-typed file, just re-name to .DSF and okay the 'are you sure' warning.

Also, if the OBJ+MTL files make 'absolute' path calls into author's folder tree, they're easily amended with Wordpad for even vast OBJs, and Notepad for MTLs.

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2021 at 9:48 PM · edited Sun, 26 December 2021 at 9:49 PM

@ NikKelly - Thank you so much for that info. I have looked everywhere, in all folders and not a single file with the DSF extension. Now everything is starting to make sense lol

Tell me something please: if you have several OBJs in a scene... building 1, building 2, tree 1, tree 2... and you start to import them into Poser, without any import options checked... Are they going to be laid out just like in the blueprint of the scene or do I have to position them manually and guess where they used to go? (because that would suck lol)

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 27 December 2021 at 7:00 AM
Forum Moderator Online Now!

They import to the location they were at during export.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

NikKelly ( ) posted Mon, 27 December 2021 at 8:12 AM

"They import to the location they were at during export."

Usually. I've met some scenes where the busy DUF file calls, scales, positions and textures its multiple DSF objects. Think big, big Poser CR2 or PZ3...

Upside, an un-compressed DUF, like DSF, is usually plain-text, resembling an over-grown MTL, PP2, CR2 or Poser MAT file.

Down-side, may need equivalent of PhilC's Classic Poser file editing utilities to study, never mind edit, lest structure be munged by detail, per 'Wood for the Trees' effect...

( I'm still searching for an affordable in-situ FBX editor: Recent versions cannot be studied by classic FBX Toolkit, while I've yet to edit an FBX ASCII file and have it 'work'... )

byheart ( ) posted Sat, 01 January 2022 at 2:28 PM

I just bought the DCF from DAZ for 20$ that I can't afford (LOL), if they removed it, I guess they put it cack up.

NikKelly ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2022 at 2:16 PM

Noticed this in Marketplace...

https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/bcs/?ViewProduct=153019

DUF Prop Converter for Poser 12 by Ken1171_Designs ()

Poser Python Scripts

I cannot review, as do not yet have it or  P12.

IIRC, it only does static output, not rigged, so no 'Genesis' figures need apply except as mannequins...

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2022 at 3:00 PM

Be aware, some of Ken1171_Designs require an internet connection, which could be a problem if you value your connectivity to the web.  Some users are very hesitant about purchasing his products although they seem to be very well constructed and thought out.

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2022 at 5:06 PM · edited Sat, 22 January 2022 at 5:06 PM

I was looking at that. It looks like it requires DAZ Studio to be installed. So a Poser 12 substitute for DSON?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2022 at 5:44 PM
Forum Moderator Online Now!

It states "**Note2: You do not need to have DAZ Studio 4 installed in your computer. This script does not rely on DSON functionality in any way."  so no, you don't need to have DS installed.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2022 at 5:47 PM
randym77 posted at 5:06 PM Sat, 22 January 2022 - #4433628

I was looking at that. It looks like it requires DAZ Studio to be installed. So a Poser 12 substitute for DSON?

Nope. Only props. Converts figures to props. Doesn't look like it converts morphs. DS has a Genesis base resolution convert to obj script built into it so there's that if you have DS installed. And of course DSF Toolbox. Could still be a handy script it you are on 12 and don't already have the aforementioned.

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2022 at 7:10 PM

Okay. I don't think those notes were there before. That makes it clearer.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.