Thu, Mar 28, 11:53 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Mar 28 8:52 am)

Subject: Poser 10 Problems with installers

Mistress_Natalie_Stern ( ) posted Tue, 09 November 2021 at 8:43 AM · edited Thu, 28 March 2024 at 8:51 AM

Hi Can anyone Help.

I bought a copy of Poser 10 and my trusty old laptop went kaput. I was promised by SmithMicro that I could upload poser10 to a new laptop when I bought. Well guess what I cant!! Apparently it is not supported an neither SmithMicro or the new company can help me. 

Feel really sad that I paid good money for a product that through no fault of my own, I can no longer use. Does anyone have any ideas that might help. I have my old Poser Installer Key as proof of my purchase, but apparently it counts for nothing, that I legally downloaded it and paid. 

Anyway, I appreciate that this is a total shot in the dark, if anyone can help, I will be very appreciative. 

Natalie XXX

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 09 November 2021 at 8:57 AM

What, exactly, is the problem? No longer have the installer? Not recognizing your serial? Bondware is supposed to have a record of every buyer. What did Support tell you? 

Though you will have trouble getting Poser 10 to run properly, and it's not Bondware's fault. Poser 10 used Flash to run the Library, and Adobe has since killed Flash. I believe both Apple and Microsoft have reached out over the net to disable it, on machines that still had it installed. There are some workarounds, but it's probably easier to just buy Poser 11. 

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 09 November 2021 at 11:13 AM

https://www.renderosity.com/forums/threads/2956792

This post provides a solution to the embedded library issue in Poser 10.  Make sure that you also have the latest SR.  IRCC, it might also contain the solution.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 09 November 2021 at 11:48 AM

I'm wondering if Bondware is no longer supporting Poser 10 and below. The installers and service releases structure kept on Google Drive have been removed. 

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 09 November 2021 at 2:34 PM

I don't think it was their intention to continue earlier version support.  That's why there was an incentive for PP2014 Game Dev users to upgrade to P11 for free.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 09 November 2021 at 3:00 PM

Even if they don't want to support it, seems like they could leave the installers and service releases available, under an "at your own risk" policy. You still need a serial to install them. 

Mistress_Natalie_Stern ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2021 at 7:46 AM
hborre posted at 11:13 AM Tue, 9 November 2021 - #4430159

This post provides a solution to the embedded library issue in Poser 10.  Make sure that you also have the latest SR.  IRCC, it might also contain the solution.

Thank you, I appreciate the response, basically I don't have any of the drivers, however from what you said, it does sound as though it might be easier to just buy a new copy :) xxx

Mistress_Natalie_Stern ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2021 at 7:46 AM
randym77 posted at 3:00 PM Tue, 9 November 2021 - #4430218

Even if they don't want to support it, seems like they could leave the installers and service releases available, under an "at your own risk" policy. You still need a serial to install them. 

That would have been really helpful 

GhengisFarb ( ) posted Mon, 15 November 2021 at 2:19 PM
hborre posted at 11:13 AM Tue, 9 November 2021 - #4430159

That's a big issue, you can't have the latest SR because it was only available from SmithMicro and that download doesn't work anymore. I had to rebuild my laptop and reinstall Poser 2014 (Poser 11 is insanely slower than Poser 2014). But since I can't get the latest update for it its constantly telling me by 2014 scenes I'm opening are from a "newer version of 2014 than what I'm running" which is annoying.  NOW the work around for the flash library doesn't work either. I'm VERY LEARY of buying the new version considering how much of a downgrade in speed Poser 11 was over 2014.

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 15 November 2021 at 4:13 PM

That might be why they removed the old installers. If even the Flash workarounds don't work any more, why even bother.

If you own Poser 11, you should be able to reinstall that. Perhaps it's no longer as slow as you remember. It doesn't have the Flash issue.

If you want to try Poser 12, there's a 21 day free trial period. It's the same version you get if you buy it, though it doesn't include all the free content like La Femme, etc.

GhengisFarb ( ) posted Mon, 15 November 2021 at 4:28 PM · edited Mon, 15 November 2021 at 4:28 PM

It IS slow, INSANELY slow. I reinstalled it also because newer figures with gravity only work in 11 and crash Poser 2014 (they didn't with the latest SR update but AS STATED that was only available through SmithMicro). I've got a content manager installed as a work around for Poser's native content manager now being nonexistent, and I'll likely try Poser 12 after I graduate to see if its solved the speed issue. I hope its great.

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 15 November 2021 at 9:11 PM

The service releases weren't only available through Smith Micro. Until recently, Structure had the installers and service releases for previous versions of Poser available on Dropbox. Windows and Mac. But they've been removed.

If someone has the service release (I believe the last for Poser 2014 was 5.2), I think it would be okay to share it, since you can't use it without a serial.

However, I suspect the reason it's been removed is that it no longer works, due to the Flash issue.

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 15 November 2021 at 9:16 PM

Also...Poser 11 is not insanely slow on my computer. Even my old laptop runs it fine. Something's wrong. You might want to open a thread about that. There have been issues with certain Windows updates.

hornet3d ( ) posted Mon, 15 November 2021 at 10:02 PM

If my memories are correct it was made fairly clear early on that the future focus was to be in a single version of Poser.  It was not all bad news though, that also meant they dropped the standard and pro versions so all Poser 12 users have access to all the features.  

I have great sympathy for those that are stuck on older versions of Poser and are unable to buy the latest version for whatever reason, but , I personally think it is unfair to blame the new team who are trying to save Poser and concentrate their effort on one version.  Someone else introduced the phone home feature and then took away the support for the earlier versions, that said, with the demise of Flash and the introduction of Python 3 the earlier versions are sadly dying.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 15 November 2021 at 11:16 PM

Bondware is still selling Poser 11, and is presumably still supporting it. It shouldn't be that much slower than Poser 2014. The system requirements are the same.

Superfly rendering is faster in Poser 12, but I haven't noticed anything else is. If he's having trouble with Poser 11 being slow, I don't think upgrading to Poser 12 would be any better. Something's wrong with his set up. Settings? Drivers? Something.

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2021 at 4:10 AM
randym77 posted at 11:16 PM Mon, 15 November 2021 - #4430609

Bondware is still selling Poser 11, and is presumably still supporting it. It shouldn't be that much slower than Poser 2014. The system requirements are the same.

Superfly rendering is faster in Poser 12, but I haven't noticed anything else is. If he's having trouble with Poser 11 being slow, I don't think upgrading to Poser 12 would be any better. Something's wrong with his set up. Settings? Drivers? Something.

I agree entirely, as you say, there should be little speed difference between Poser 11 and Poser 2014 so there must be another reason.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.