Tue, Apr 23, 8:04 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 22 7:39 pm)

Subject: Starry texture for V4

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 12 November 2021 at 6:00 PM · edited Mon, 22 April 2024 at 9:12 AM

I remember seeing a night sky type texture for V4. Can't remember where, or what it was called. I was reminded of it when Photoshop updated and got that new splash screen.

I thought I had wishlisted it, but I don't see it on my list either here or at DAZ. Does anyone know what product I should be looking for?

Rhia474 ( ) posted Fri, 12 November 2021 at 7:34 PM · edited Fri, 12 November 2021 at 7:34 PM
Online Now!

The only V4 one I remember is Starr from Maddelirium. The one that is more of a night sky is a La Femme one from Afrodite-Ohki, the alternate texture for Debora.

https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/bcs/mdd-starr-for-v4-2/105179/

https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/bcs/debora-for-la-femme/148573/

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 12 November 2021 at 10:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. Those are pretty textures.

Not quite what I'm looking for, though. Maybe I'll try making one myself. I won't have to worry about realism, and I'm not above postworking seams. ;-)

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 8:13 AM
Online Now!

Gotcha, maybe someone else has a better idea. Also, hope you can make it--I don't even know where to start something like that. :)

tparo ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 8:50 AM

Inane Glory and IGD designs did one forGenesis and  V4 at Daz called Asteria the Fallen Star. I don't believe I'm allowed to link to it.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 9:00 AM · edited Wed, 17 November 2021 at 10:22 AM

I could do something like that very easily. I've done something similar when I created the Jessica Cruz Green Lantern, as in the comics, she has a lantern 'tattoo' over her right eye. I can't remember if that render is in my gallery or not, so I will just include it here.

I can also create the maps to give it a glowing effect, make it 3D, whatever you need. Just let me know which of V4's many characters you want to use it on.

olLOwNEznLw4bOUSFPHDAFOrKwVnM1q5yY8BY2i6.png

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 9:09 AM
tparo posted at 8:50 AM Sat, 13 November 2021 - #4430406

Inane Glory and IGD designs did one forGenesis and  V4 at Daz called Asteria the Fallen Star. I don't believe I'm allowed to link to it.

Thanks! I think that's the one I'm remembering.

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 9:12 AM

Thanks for the offer, Rokket, but I wasn't thinking of any particular character. Very kind of you, though!

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 10:10 AM · edited Wed, 17 November 2021 at 10:22 AM

randym77 posted at 9:12 AM Sat, 13 November 2021 - #4430409

Thanks for the offer, Rokket, but I wasn't thinking of any particular character. Very kind of you, though!

It's not a problem. The only reason I asked about the character is that you'd want the face coloring to match the rest of the body. If I knew which character you wanted to apply the star to, it would be easy to create the texture for that texture map.

This is Syltermermaid's Amelia with a quick down and dirty map applied...

QpsynBLFJyBhhKRAIb2mLMRfsqaPgVsFEsiju1jY.jpg

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 10:38 AM
Online Now!

That Asteria char looks neat--curious if it works in P12 and Superfly...if anyone has made renders with it in those, let me know. I'm hesitant to drop almost 20 bucks on something that may not show well at all in my current setup--happened before.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 1:29 PM

I am not sure if it would work in Poser since it's on DAZ's site.

I looked at the texture, and it would take me some time, but I could probably reproduce that.

I will mess around with it later today, and if I get something that works, I'll put it in the freebies here.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 1:56 PM
Online Now!

Oh it works in Poser, it has Poser Firefly renders advertising it, and it says outright it works there. But it's clearly an older products. Not all DAZ site products work in Poser, yes, but the older ones definitely do, and ones created for V4 99%do. My question was specifically for Superfly because shaders are so different for it most of the time.

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 1:58 PM

Asteria is supposed to be compatible with V4 and Firefly. Since it is Poser-compatible, it's probably an older product, without Superfly MATs. All the sample renders are Firefly, and it looks like the Genesis MATS are for DAZ Studio 3.

I don't mind, though. I still use mostly Firefly. And never buy anything full price at DAZ. Hold out for 50% off, or more.

I bet something like that would be stunning in Superfly, though.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 4:28 PM

Rhia474 posted at 1:56 PM Sat, 13 November 2021 - #4430432

Oh it works in Poser, it has Poser Firefly renders advertising it, and it says outright it works there. But it's clearly an older products. Not all DAZ site products work in Poser, yes, but the older ones definitely do, and ones created for V4 99%do. My question was specifically for Superfly because shaders are so different for it most of the time.

Yeah, I went back and took a closer look.

It would be Superfly that would have some issues, since Firefly uses a lot of "cheats" to achieve certain looks. But I am thinking that the materials would probably be fixable to work in Superfly, with only a few tweaks.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 4:30 PM
randym77 posted at 1:58 PM Sat, 13 November 2021 - #4430433

Asteria is supposed to be compatible with V4 and Firefly. Since it is Poser-compatible, it's probably an older product, without Superfly MATs. All the sample renders are Firefly, and it looks like the Genesis MATS are for DAZ Studio 3.

I don't mind, though. I still use mostly Firefly. And never buy anything full price at DAZ. Hold out for 50% off, or more.

I bet something like that would be stunning in Superfly, though.

I bet you're right. I would buy it just to see how the shader is put together. Then I'd Frankenstein it to make it work in Superfly.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 4:33 PM

I just need to figure out how to mask off the stars so I can add an emission shader to them. And it looks like the shader covers the whole body. Seams might be an issue...

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 4:38 PM
Online Now!

Yup, it's the emission and as you guys said, the way Firefly mimicked the PBR things (sorry I can't technical speak today, my brain is mush because weekend). If anyone can Frankenstein a shader solution, it'd be fantastic and greatly appreciated.

(Also, yeah, no full time buying over there. Coupon or sale)

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 5:09 PM
You usually don't have to wait more than a few days to get 50% off at DAZ. And you know there will be a Black Friday sale this month.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 7:30 PM · edited Wed, 17 November 2021 at 10:22 AM

Just a couple hours of mucking around. Cycles shader, but it's showing promise. Only the face and head (including the ears) is the cycles shader. The rest is Firefly...

0Ds8hsMgvbJnWFJZmcObIFl5AlxW19d5lsEfdipm.jpg

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 7:31 PM
Rhia474 posted at 4:38 PM Sat, 13 November 2021 - #4430457

Yup, it's the emission and as you guys said, the way Firefly mimicked the PBR things (sorry I can't technical speak today, my brain is mush because weekend). If anyone can Frankenstein a shader solution, it'd be fantastic and greatly appreciated.

(Also, yeah, no full time buying over there. Coupon or sale)

I am working on it

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 9:04 PM

Looks promising!

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 15 November 2021 at 10:31 AM

I made some real progress. I am doing a couple of renders and I'll post the results when they are done.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 15 November 2021 at 11:39 AM · edited Wed, 17 November 2021 at 10:22 AM

I think I made her skin too light. I am going to darken the texture map and redo it.

3e0qV2SrODRR94yWg8dU1GnntHE8wo599JLWYzjf.jpg

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 15 November 2021 at 12:01 PM · edited Wed, 17 November 2021 at 10:22 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Maybe too dark?

ciUK0LqMsTXnSE8Ypx6TDXbLcksFFeynkCfuREJy.jpg

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 15 November 2021 at 12:48 PM · edited Mon, 15 November 2021 at 12:48 PM

In Cycles, you can control the brightness through either HSV or Brightness/Contrast nodes without redoing the texture unless otherwise, the texture washes out or obscures detail.  Looking good so far.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 15 November 2021 at 12:52 PM

I switched over to the Physical Surface node because I am not that familiar with how Cycles works.

I also deleted most of those texture maps, but I am going to redo them later.

My head hurts and I have to get ready to fly to Nevada tomorrow. New job.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 15 November 2021 at 2:27 PM

Definitely at your pace.  Good luck with the new job.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 15 November 2021 at 3:39 PM

hborre posted at 2:27 PM Mon, 15 November 2021 - #4430582

Definitely at your pace.  Good luck with the new job.

Thank you! I am excited because it will be my first land based job ever. I was US Navy from 1985 to 2005, and then worked for the Navy from 2005 to present.

It was time. I can't deal with life at sea anymore.

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 15 November 2021 at 4:19 PM

They both look very nice!

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 15 November 2021 at 4:46 PM

I am working out the maps right now. I am trying to make sure it has fairly equal coverage, and avoid nasty seams. Then I will work on the glowing effect.

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 19 November 2021 at 2:19 PM

I am settled (sort of) at my cousin's house for the time being.

I am about to get to work on the texture maps one more time, to find a happy medium between the dark and light textures. The hardest part is going to pull off the look of the stars in the sky. I am not sure how they did the textures in the renders, but they look like a mirror of a night sky on her skin.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 20 November 2021 at 2:18 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Getting closer to a texture map that I like. I will see if I can get the effect I am looking for after my laptop charges.
L2hm5bxpdyrzJ5KqIF8lDhAqmEvdRAmIqOyJIt4y.jpg

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2021 at 8:58 AM

What texture are you using as the base to edit?

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2021 at 8:55 PM · edited Sun, 21 November 2021 at 8:55 PM

The subject interested me so I took a brief detour from other things and took a stab at a starry texture for La Femme using Mudbox's Projection painting feature. La Femme is a UDIM style UVs arrangement so it's pretty quick to fill a model with detail across seams via 3d painting. Unfortunately Projection can be very fast but introduces other problems specific to that technique, especially overlap and stretching around the turning edge of shapes. Next time I attempt a texture experiment like this I'll know to stick with Mudbox's standard brushes rather than the blanket approach of projection.

Anyway... learned a few new tricks today doing this, the textures came out looking more like a molecular meltdown rather than a starry sky, should have went less dense as Rokket seems to be doing with his V4 texture, but maybe someone might find these textures useful. So really not a waste of the few hours it took. The files are unrestricted use with credit for the original base files, that is CC attribution license. The textures are 100% original creation.

There's very minor seams, or rather texture overlap, between the toes, which I didn't bother fixing, and small instances of stretching. They hold up pretty well to scrutiny otherwise. The files are diffuse maps and alpha B/W masks for the ambient value channels. 4096 resolution maps for the body, limbs, head, and eye cover materials, because of the texture resolutions the zip weighs in at 190 mb. The masks should also work well as masks into the CyclesSurface Emission value. I only tested via ambient in Firefly IDL, a simple Firefly IDL material map loader mc6 is included in the materials library folder. The included mat and following example images are just the maps plugged into diffuse and ambient value...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DzmkvYFS-otcUfJp2J18BoWMlY3ijhfG/view?usp=drivesdk

gVz8ADwP8Mvy3GZjdMb1KM5UJaP89HL6J6sPvkQt.png

L4F48991YHxY1cx7Aj4Mh2F7V9nj41nFOEkgQMdG.png

JYLWpNxOqHtssyu86DRfzAYSyvgTbKduGbvdNx8v.png

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2021 at 9:03 PM · edited Sun, 21 November 2021 at 9:03 PM

Low res previews of the maps included in the zip, didn't bother doing a preview of the Eyecover texture...

NM63TDSRnI95MU8R7vX03Wf7zN16hAcurvllJwMr.png

nIElS7msGEZQdcrdLYRxZWYTJAwekORJPplPL1q3.png

2iDpeyYe8Lwo6FY5orWaTQDeC0plE9AdnIpdkkDb.png

PM1nJjUA6xcuzaMQy0XvDNtS83dC6kYAIIEEMvTD.png

nG2DmOh9rhfQzbdG2sTxls5jIpByeLmw5V2B1jpz.png

EiK6ZxNmJgf8Z79KS2OnbGTJqOa9JjnCu95RGkj4.png

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2021 at 9:54 PM · edited Sun, 21 November 2021 at 9:54 PM

Thank you very much for your effort and I'm pretty sure the textures will come in useful.  But unfortunately, the shaders do not work in Superfly at all.  This is what I get when I switch to the Superfly render engine.

DVJZckitMLnKg7WrzJMM7ygmKurUrFNZiqoN5P1z.png

It looks fine with the Firefly render engine but once I switch it, the textures turn red in the Material Room preview windows.  And they render that way also.  Something is wrong with the way the files are saved.

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2021 at 10:21 PM

They're flat pngs out of photoshop. No trans channel. I'll take a look at them in 11 pro Superfly. Give me a minute.

primorge ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2021 at 12:17 AM · edited Mon, 22 November 2021 at 12:17 AM

Ok.

I downloaded the zip and replaced the pngs in the initial runtime with the ones from the download.

Tested in Poser surface Superfly... looked a bit washed out. No red preview. Behaved normally although the render settings were low. Curious why it looked washed out though. Might have something to do with the mask and how it's working with the Poser Surface Superfly... I don't know.

Did not test in physical surface

Tested in Superfly Cycles root... very rudimentary set up and low quality render settings. No red preview... rendered as expected.

I guess either something is wrong with your Poser, or your holding it wrong, or its just one of those principled thingies. Or it's just another Poser 12 weirdness that seems so common... I don't have time to test it in blender, I work in the morning.

Thank you very much for your effort and I'm pretty sure the textures will come in useful.  But unfortunately, the shaders do not work in Superfly at all.

Oh, no problem. Unfortunately your wrong... as I said it works in 11 Superfly.

If you can figure out what it is I'd be interested in knowing. As it is the textures work in Firefly, in Firefly IDL, and in CyclesSurface root including the mask (cycles is Superfly), that is of course, again, in Poser 11. And no red preview.

Fast CyclesSurface Root render... Admittedly it looks better in Firefly IDL, but then again I use Firefly; so I guess either don't use the files or use them in Firefly, or just figure out how to use them... or not :)

7mCv7lAnHANLUD4t2O8zgcv54jkwqCMK1ataACa5.png

CABxREOKhsY8ClvvpdZNmp9wGZNyPqbaNWek55zy.png

4jXzfcJtQZLaPt1PRnPikBN6TrgtwPzQmhZRN08V.png

primorge ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2021 at 12:34 AM · edited Mon, 22 November 2021 at 12:44 AM

And a final note hborre, I never said the "Shaders work in superfly (at all)" I said...

I only tested via ambient in Firefly IDL, a simple Firefly IDL material map loader mc6 is included in the materials library folder. The included mat and following example images are just the maps plugged into diffuse and ambient value...

And somehow you've managed to flip the textures upside down in your mat room screencaps lol. Now that's a feat :D

primorge ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2021 at 1:17 AM

Looking at your mat room screen caps I'd say try unplugging the B/W maps from the alpha in the principled Bsdf. I mistakenly referred to them as "alpha" when in fact that's just holdover thinking from Firefly. There's no alpha channel in those pngs, its strictly rgb channels. I keep forgetting 12 added that functionality with the Principled Bsdf. It might help to solve the weirdness you're having with the textures.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2021 at 7:47 AM

Yeah, I noted the map flips after I posted the images last night.  I also noted the lack of the Alpha channel when I examined the maps in Photoshop.  They look perfectly fine in Firefly engine mode but the moment I switch to Superfly everything gets wonky.  I have never seen this behavior before.

primorge ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2021 at 7:56 AM

It has to be something with the principled. Bottom line is the maps work in Poser versions existing for years, including variations of Superfly. The fact that standard png file textures offered free with no restrictions might not work in an obscure render material feature in a version of Poser that's existed for months and is apparently full of bugs, brings virtually no new features to the table, handicapped on the script front, and is still in beta is of negligible concern to me. I'm using a version that works, with simple texture files that work. Apologies they aren't fitting your apparently very very narrow criteria of "working" files. Not to come off as a harsh but those are the facts.

Take care

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2021 at 9:33 AM · edited Mon, 22 November 2021 at 9:34 AM

I managed to correct my problem by resaving the .PNG's through IrfanView.  I seem to recall another user having a similar problem long ago and the only solution was to resave the files through the same application.  It looks usable now.  I'll play with it.

primorge ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2021 at 9:51 AM

hborre posted at 9:33 AM Mon, 22 November 2021 - #4430765

I managed to correct my problem by resaving the .PNG's through IrfanView.  I seem to recall another user having a similar problem long ago and the only solution was to resave the files through the same application.  It looks usable now.  I'll play with it.

Good to hear. You're probably referring to NikKelly... anyway their your textures now so do whatever you like with them. I just like doing these kind of exercises to get away from the tedium of other projects, not render related per se, that drag on and on. I don't think they're very good as Starry textures, I would do it completely different after the fact honestly, but maybe usable for some other scifi type stuff. Didn't mean for this to turn into a hijack or version/renderer bashing session. To each their own.

As an unrelated topic I just got the latest version of Marmoset Toolbag (4) and am really digging it... so eventually some PBR map experiments. Great piece of software, and very reasonable to both rent or own outright. You should check it out.

Happy rendering.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2021 at 9:52 AM

I didn't realize that you were using the P11 version.  I am using P12 and that's where I'm seeing a discrepancy with your maps.  I see no problems with other .PNG files from other creators or some that I've created myself.  I did create alpha channels for the modified files, which may have fixed the problem for P12.  Anyway, I have a working set now.

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2021 at 12:02 PM

Curious that there's so much difference between Poser 11 and Poser 12.

primorge ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2021 at 3:19 PM · edited Mon, 22 November 2021 at 3:28 PM

I save all of my imagery for sharing as png because it's a non lossy format that's widely accepted across various softwares. In this sense I'm utilizing png as you would jpg but skipping the compression. I think theres a misconception that png must or does have an alpha channel. In this case no, as the imagery is flattened against a background and the alpha is dumped. Being that I didn't expect or need these images to be utilized for transparency I deliberately dump the alpha by flattening to background color. Versions of Poser up to 12 didn't recognize the alpha in png so it seemed like a safe alternative to jpeg, as no confusion could arise as no option to be confused was present. Not so with 12... just more hoops suddenly appearing with the latest Poser (mild sarcasm). Guess I'll have to consider a different lossless format that works with Poser from now on to avoid this newest complication. It's the stick and carrot of digital art making, which really, comparatively, is in it's toddler stages.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.