Thu, Mar 28, 8:42 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Mar 28 8:52 am)

Subject: Windows 11 anyone?

phil_lawson ( ) posted Sun, 31 October 2021 at 6:32 PM · edited Sun, 24 March 2024 at 5:50 AM

I've just had the Windows 11 upgrade notification for my laptop and before I go ahead does anyone know if Poser10 will work with it? I've already been stung with Big Sur not running 32 bit software, that's why I went to a Windows  machine. I don't want it to happen again.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 31 October 2021 at 6:37 PM

It should work.  Most of the changes are cosmetic with supposed more security.  However, attempts to acquire personal data are prevalent as ever.  

MikeMoss ( ) posted Sun, 31 October 2021 at 9:27 PM · edited Sun, 31 October 2021 at 9:28 PM

Hi

I upgraded my laptop a week ago, and my PC yesterday.

I like it, it's faster, and easier to get around in, I like the new look it's more user-friendly and everything is easier to read. 

I've had no problems other than some trouble finding a few things that have moved.

If you are going to upgrade, I still recommend making a Disk Image of your C:\ drive first, but I've had no problems at all.

It's kind of a breath of fresh air, after all this time with Windows 10.   This is the first version of Windows that I did not beta test since I started with Windows 7.

And the first one I really am happy with since Windows 7.  The upgrade process was painless after making some changes in the bios to make my gaming computer, compatible.

Normally I would do a clean install, but it went so well on my laptop I decided to save all the time reinstalling everything, and I'm glad I did.

Mike

If you shoot a mime, do you need a silencer?

phil_lawson ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2021 at 5:07 AM

Thanks for the info. I went for it this morning and everything runs fine. It does seem to be punchier too and if Microsoft want to look at my personal data and what I've been up to well, that's up to them. They'll be totally bored! 

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2021 at 7:44 AM

I was concerned up the upgrade, too. Good to hear it doesn't obliterate everything.

W10,Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 32.0 GB RAM, 64-bit, video GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 4GB.
Old lady hobbyist.
All visual art or fiction is "playing with dolls."

Cyogreem ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2021 at 11:48 AM

there are many positive aspects updating to win 11 but if it concerns your working machine or business machine you might want to wait a little further. Allot of printer drivers do not work, a known win 11 issue ! so you better check ahead if all features of your printer are supported. Especially if there connected via USB. the next thing is if you run the Standard Home version you will not be able to have a local account this only works in pro. Upgrading to pro costs about 20$ . In pro you might have to expect some unwanted notifications for your local accounts. It is planed to enable the local accounts in home later on. New releases always have little there little bugs and it takes a while until there all corrected, see in the sample of Poser 12 after a year it is still in prerelease. So to stay on the safe side with your main computer it might be to wait a little and use a second one you have to test and get used to.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2021 at 2:45 PM

I will need to get new computers to take advantage of Windows 11 due to my setups do not have the necessary TPM 2.0 to upgrade.  I don't want to do a clean install on the old rigs and I don't want to take the hit on processing performance some users are complaining about.  Plus, no security module means no further Win  11 updates aside from the initial install.

Giana ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2021 at 5:12 PM · edited Mon, 01 November 2021 at 5:13 PM

so glad to hear you've had no issues yet running P10 in Win11.  i, too, have been feeling a touch anxious about whether my P10 will still function as i know it today, but in Win11, esp. using the external libraries native to P10.  i received notice that Win11 is ready for install about a week ago and i've just been sitting here feeling dubious about it all - having read this has helped w. my comfort level, however, so thanks for that...

:)

i'll prolly get Win11 up and going in a couple of weeks, once i finish a project i'm knee-deep in alligators with, at the mo'

Miss B ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2021 at 6:10 PM

hborre posted at 2:45 PM Mon, 1 November 2021 - #4429711

I will need to get new computers to take advantage of Windows 11 due to my setups do not have the necessary TPM 2.0 to upgrade.

Where would you look on your system (mine's Win10 Pro) to see if my setup has the necessary TPM 2.0 to upgrade?

I'm not necessarily in a rush to upgrade to Win 11, as I usually only upgrade when I get a new computer, and this puppy's only 1 year and 11 months old, so definitely not ready for a new computer.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2021 at 7:14 PM

First, check if your computer is eligible for the Win11 update.   Simply do a manual check for updating.  From what I've heard, the module might be on the motherboard but not active; activation requires entering the BIOS.  If you do not have the physical module installed, then you would need to find out if your motherboard manufacturer offers it and has one available for purchase.  In the worst-case scenario, your computer is too old for updating.  However, some users have worked around the module issue by running a clean install of the OS, the downside is that without the module, you will not be eligible for any future Win 11 security updates.  It's unknown if this will change in the future.  Windows 10 will expire in 2025.  I have enough time to save for a new rig and hopefully at a cheaper price.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2021 at 7:16 PM

@ Miss B, if your computer is only that old, you should easily have that module in place.

Miss B ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2021 at 10:36 PM

I would think so, but I just don't know where to look for it.

I'm in no rush in any case.  If Win10 expires in 2025, then this puppy will be 6 years old, so then I might consider a new one.

Butterfly Dezignz

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2021 at 8:14 AM

Heh.  I don't even have Win 10.  I stuck with 7 Pro.  :D

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Miss B ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2021 at 10:40 AM

I would've too Sam, but that laptop died, so I had no choice but buy a new one, and Win10 Pro was available, and Win7 Pro wasn't.

Butterfly Dezignz

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 03 November 2021 at 12:18 AM

My setup will not support Windows 11 as according to Microsoft my CPU is not supported but then my motherboard does not have the TPM2.0 either.  It was an expensive system a few years ago I am not about to give up using it just to use Windows 11.  When the system dies I will look at Windows 11 on the replacement but until then I will keep my luddite hat on. 

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

phil_lawson ( ) posted Wed, 03 November 2021 at 5:10 AM

Maybe something non Windows 11 related but since upgrading I can't seem to cancel a render without using task manager to close poser down. This wasn't an issue under Windows 10. Odd. Other than that everything else runs fine.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 03 November 2021 at 8:23 AM

You might need to reinstall Poser and reboot the entire system, maybe more than once.

phil_lawson ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2021 at 4:38 AM

Sounds a bit drastic. A reboot is fine, I do that every night but a reinstall?

Digitell ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2021 at 9:19 AM

I just bought my new system this August and it shows my computer is not compatible to upgrade to Windows 11. I do not have the TPM 2.0 on my computer.

I am like you Miss B, I will just wait until this system dies. It took me a lot of doin to get this one set up! After my old one died, it was next to impossible to find a system to fit my needs, not to mention the cost of new equipment now days. When I finally found a system at Best Buy, got it home..set it up...it wouldnt work so I had to take it back. They just shrugged their shoulders and said it happens during shipping sometimes..and they had nothing to replace it with in store. So I then went and got one off Ebay and it runs like a dream.

Anyways..I will have to wait too before upgrading..

Miss B ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2021 at 9:52 AM
Digitell posted at 9:19 AM Fri, 5 November 2021 - #4429943

I just bought my new system this August and it shows my computer is not compatible to upgrade to Windows 11. I do not have the TPM 2.0 on my computer.

How do you know if your system has the TPM 2.0?  Is there somewhere you can check?

Butterfly Dezignz

Digitell ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2021 at 10:36 AM · edited Wed, 17 November 2021 at 10:22 AM

@ Miss B:

I downloaded the system check thingy and it told me I didn't have it.

Here are the steps I took to find out:

USM1rQOkxt9Nj0lvjX1tOLE74dh0n2wtxciQ3HJi.jpg
First I went to my system update page..then I clicked on where it says Get PC Health Check and that took me to this page...

DeOesnxVhy5rSpo9c6HH93eAPeutP1djoCrPBmQT.jpg

Then I clicked on the Download PC Health Check App...and downloaded it then opened it and got this:

FDcdKnZFlNciuvS2Av4o0q8pvcDPq0U3W8g1V37G.jpg

Then click on Check Now and I got this:

ZQpqbx5h28VyAUMgY148PdbwSyXceVKMysNYECiw.jpg

That is where it will show you if your have the TPM 2.0 or not

I hope this helps!

Miss B ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2021 at 12:27 PM

Thanks for all that @Digitell, and I searched through all my recent updates, and it states that the PC Health Check app was installed on 11/1/21, but I can't find it to manually check to see if I have the TPM 2.0.  Whether that means Win10 Pro already checked, I'm not sure but I'm not seeing anything that says I have TPM 2.0, or not.

Oh well, I'm still not going to upgrade to Win11 on this computer.  I'm in no rush to get a new Windows version.

Butterfly Dezignz

Digitell ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2021 at 1:18 PM

@Miss B, you can always reinstall and run the HealthCheck app..I am in no rush either..things are running as they should ATM

Miss B ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2021 at 4:54 PM
Digitell posted at 1:18 PM Fri, 5 November 2021 - #4429960

I am in no rush either..things are running as they should ATM

That they are, so we'll just take advantage of that for now.  😉

Butterfly Dezignz

phil_lawson ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2021 at 6:19 PM

Remember Windows 10 support won't end until 2025 so there's plenty of life left in it yet an, as I once told one of our students when they moaned about not being able to change the background that they should be looking at the program they should be using and not the background. In other words, if Windows 10 runs your software then who really cares what the interface is like.

NikKelly ( ) posted Fri, 12 November 2021 at 4:58 PM

At this week's update, Win'10 confirmed my suspicion that neither my 2017 'CAD_Tower' nor 2021 network render 'Box' are '11' compatible...

hornet3d ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 3:56 AM

Although I am in no hurry to move to Windows 11 I am a little annoyed at what appears to be a sudden change in requirements for Windows 11.  Unless I missed it there was very little pre warning of this, yes there were early reports that Windows 10 was not going to be the last version of Windows, as suggested at some point, but little mention of the TPM 2.0 requirement.  It must be really annoying to buy a new system and find out within months that it will not run the latest version on Windows.  At least some warning, so that we could factor in the requirement when buying a new system, would have been nice.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 10:26 AM

The rollout on Windows 11 was completely botched.  Initial reports had incomplete information that was pulled after immediate release confusing many users as to the exact requirements needed for the upgrade.  I've read that computers released within the last 5 years should have the TPM 2.0 chip or equivalent.  The question is whether the chip is actually active, only a Bios check would confirm that and a simple activation.

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Sun, 14 November 2021 at 8:43 AM · edited Sun, 14 November 2021 at 8:44 AM

It's a simple BIOS check but it may not be listed as TPM. On some Intel chipsets it will be PTT Platform Trust Technology. It's a simple enable save and exit.

I would caution from my own experience, that if your computer is simply a work machine; and not your main source of entertainment and/or social engagement; then you probably don't want W11 at this time. If you like loyalty rewards for messing around online, chatting with friends, or using MS apps and don't mind being tracked while you do so; then run, don't walk; to hit that big grey upgrade button. Loyalty reward points in your OS. Really. I must be getting too old.

On the other, more relevant hand; I have run limited tests with P11 and P12. So far both seem to be functioning fine. I have not been exhaustive though.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.