Tue, Apr 16, 4:21 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, donnena Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 15 6:50 am)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Will Poser run offline?

JAFO ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2021 at 7:04 PM · edited Mon, 15 April 2024 at 12:20 AM

Can Poser 12 be run offline once registered? Ive delayed upgrading for quite a while, I DO NOT allow  internet connection on my workstation for several reasons, one being the tendency of antivirus software to devour needed resources. I wouldn't mind connecting temporarily to register ,but if it requires a constant internet connection to run its a deal-breaker, I'll just stick to Poser 11.

Y'all have a great day.

Digitell ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2021 at 7:24 PM · edited Fri, 15 October 2021 at 7:25 PM

Moving this to the Poser 12 forum since it is a question for Poser 12

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2021 at 8:04 PM

Both Poser 11 and Poser 12 require Internet access. Not 24/7, but the software "phones home" every once in awhile, and if it can't make contact, it will eventually stop working.

This was originally added by SmithMicro, and Bondware is keeping that "feature."

I believe if you contact support, they can extend the period between check-ins, but unlike in the SmithMicro days, there's no way to disable the phone home thing permanently.

Cyogreem ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2021 at 12:43 PM

Renderosity extended the Feature from SM you now need to be at least once in a week logged to keep poser running ! Offline activation has been removed, Permanent Licence has also been removed, Note: Allot of Poser Python addons sold in the store also need to be connected to the Internet constantly to work. 

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2021 at 5:49 PM

Only "a lot of Poser Python addons" because most plugins at the store are by Ken... as far as I know, he's the only one requiring a connection for plugins to work - at least Wolfnom's I know for a fact don't require it.

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2021 at 7:09 PM

Ugh, I had no idea Ken's scripts had that requirement. I haven't bought any yet, because I'm still mostly using Poser 11. Checking in once in awhile is bad enough, continuous really sucks.

FWIW, English Bob timed it, and found that for Poser 11, it's nine days. That's how long Poser can go without phoning home before it stops working. I assume it's the same for Poser 12.

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2021 at 3:44 AM

I don't see the point of the 'phone home' feature. Why do Rendo consider it so necessary?

Bastep ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2021 at 4:54 AM

There is hardly any software that doesn't do that. They all want our data. In the meantime, I don't care. At the latest when you log in to any service, store, etc. your data is gone anyway.

Greetings

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2021 at 8:32 AM

Supposedly, it's an anti-piracy measure. I seriously doubt it works, but I think that's why SmithMicro started it.

I suspect Bondware likes it because they want to integrate the RMP into Poser. I buy plenty at the RMP, but I sure don't want to do through Poser. I really hate the un-deletable Purchases runtime. And gawd, remember the disaster that was Cornucopia3D and Vue?

The issue for me isn't so much privacy, it's that if for some reason you are not connected to the Internet, Poser stops working. 

Miss B ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2021 at 10:57 AM

randym77 posted at 8:32 AM Tue, 19 October 2021 - #4429106

I suspect Bondware likes it because they want to integrate the RMP into Poser. I buy plenty at the RMP, but I sure don't want to do through Poser. I really hate the un-deletable Purchases runtime.The issue for me isn't so much privacy, it's that if for some reason you are not connected to the Internet, Poser stops working. 

You and me both Randy!  I have tried so many times to get it to not show up, but it's impossible.  This to me is a reminder of the old Poser 5 Content tab.  I finally found a way to get that to not show, thanks to someone posting on one of the forums how to do it.  I wish there was as easy a way to get rid of the Purchases (AND DOCUMENTS) folders, because I don't use them, and never will!!

OOOHHH!!  I just opened Poser 12, and there have been changes to my Library, even though I haven't yet updated to the latest version of P12, AND I happen to use the External Library, but Purchases is now an additional Tab named Purchases (like the Content tab we had in Poser 5) and the Library folders are Poser 12, Poser 12 Content, and Downloads.  I don't need, and will never use, the Poser 12 Content and Downloads folders.  I install everything manually, always have, and always will.

~Sheesh~

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2021 at 12:03 PM

Interesting. I wonder if the Purchases tab can be removed, like the Content tab could be.

The reason I removed the Content tab is I would accidentally click on it, and then there was a really slow browser that loaded Content Paradise. I think I had dial-up back then, so it was reeeeally slow.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2021 at 1:02 PM
Online Now!

Miss B posted at 10:57 AM Tue, 19 October 2021 - #4429108

randym77 posted at 8:32 AM Tue, 19 October 2021 - #4429106

I suspect Bondware likes it because they want to integrate the RMP into Poser. I buy plenty at the RMP, but I sure don't want to do through Poser. I really hate the un-deletable Purchases runtime.The issue for me isn't so much privacy, it's that if for some reason you are not connected to the Internet, Poser stops working. 

You and me both Randy!  I have tried so many times to get it to not show up, but it's impossible.  This to me is a reminder of the old Poser 5 Content tab.  I finally found a way to get that to not show, thanks to someone posting on one of the forums how to do it.  I wish there was as easy a way to get rid of the Purchases (AND DOCUMENTS) folders, because I don't use them, and never will!!

OOOHHH!!  I just opened Poser 12, and there have been changes to my Library, even though I haven't yet updated to the latest version of P12, AND I happen to use the External Library, but Purchases is now an additional Tab named Purchases (like the Content tab we had in Poser 5) and the Library folders are Poser 12, Poser 12 Content, and Downloads.  I don't need, and will never use, the Poser 12 Content and Downloads folders.  I install everything manually, always have, and always will.

~Sheesh~

It's the same for me: I'll NEVER use those automatic downloader/installer routines...
Except for the provided content.

I'm doing the installs my way.

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

primorge ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2021 at 3:59 PM · edited Tue, 19 October 2021 at 4:01 PM

randym77 posted at 7:09 PM Sat, 16 October 2021 - #4428997

Ugh, I had no idea Ken's scripts had that requirement. I haven't bought any yet, because I'm still mostly using Poser 11. Checking in once in awhile is bad enough, continuous really sucks.

FWIW, English Bob timed it, and found that for Poser 11, it's nine days. That's how long Poser can go without phoning home before it stops working. I assume it's the same for Poser 12.

That's interesting. I had a problem with my laptop's fan, it had Poser 11 on it. It was off, battery drained, and disconnected from the internet for at least 2 weeks. Might have been closer to a month. Anyway, the machine was under warranty. Sent it in and had it repaired, did not wipe the drive. Got it back and turned it on and started Poser, did not require reactivation, started right up.

?

Cyogreem ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2021 at 5:14 PM
primorge posted at 3:59 PM Tue, 19 October 2021 - #4429116

That's interesting. I had a problem with my laptop's fan, it had Poser 11 on it. It was off, battery drained, and disconnected from the internet for at least 2 weeks. Might have been closer to a month. Anyway, the machine was under warranty. Sent it in and had it repaired, did not wipe the drive. Got it back and turned it on and started Poser, did not require reactivation, started right up.

?

You should call em up and ask what Patch they used LOL.  Might be an app like "Lucky Patcher" that is used for Android to remove these annoying Adds and popups on the installed Play Store apps that can cause your Android to overheat. Such patcher sure can find and fix allot of stuff that is eating up your resources. 

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2021 at 5:23 PM

?

As I understand it...it doesn't require reactivation. As soon as it can call home again, it's fine. (If you didn't connect it to the Internet, perhaps the person who repaired it did.)

The problem is if someone wants to use Poser without an Internet connection. Some examples given by people here at Rosity: you don't want your main computer connected to the web, for security reasons. You're in the military and are regularly stationed somewhere without regular Internet access. You're living full time in an RV, and spend long periods "off the grid."

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2021 at 5:24 AM

I just wish they'd get rid of the 'phone in'.

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 21 October 2021 at 9:26 AM · edited Thu, 21 October 2021 at 9:27 AM

Cyogreem posted at 5:14 PM Tue, 19 October 2021 - #4429118

?

You should call em up and ask what Patch they used LOL.  Might be an app like "Lucky Patcher" that is used for Android to remove these annoying Adds and popups on the installed Play Store apps that can cause your Android to overheat. Such patcher sure can find and fix allot of stuff that is eating up your resources. 
It wasn't a software problem, it was mechanical, accompanied by a horrible grinding noise. The machine was basically brand new, an HP Envy. Faulty fan. They replaced the fan, it's run great ever since. I think I may have exacerbated the problem by running heavily modded Skyrim though.

For diagnostics I use HWINFO64 and SpeedFan, both free diagnostic softwares...

MarianneR ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2021 at 3:58 AM

The fact that Poser phones home is what made me desert Poser for Daz Studio. If I can´t connect to Renderosity's server Poser will stop working. It could be technical reasons, business reasons or politics. That would mean that I lose not only the money I invested in Poser itself but also all the money I spent on content that only works in the newer versions.

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2021 at 7:58 AM · edited Mon, 01 November 2021 at 7:59 AM

It bugged me that Poser had begun to "phone home" every so often, until I realized it was because Poser offers a 3-week trial period. It has to know to turn off after the trial period, if you haven't purchased it. And it knows if you've purchased it once you "phone home" every 3 weeks (I imagine that's the length of time used; I never pay attention to it). Now, it doesn't bug me as much.

W10,Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 32.0 GB RAM, 64-bit, video GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 4GB.
Old lady hobbyist.
All visual art or fiction is "playing with dolls."

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2021 at 11:24 AM · edited Mon, 01 November 2021 at 11:25 AM

Not sure how often it phones home, but nine days is the most you have between call-ins, according to EnglishBob, who tested it.If Poser can't make contact in that time, it stops working. Even subscription software like Photoshop gives you more time than that.

Not buying the trial period as an excuse. There's a ton of software that has trial periods but doesn't need to phone home. Seems like it would be simple enough to turn off the call-in feature once you've purchased the software.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2021 at 2:32 PM

Renderosity never had the kill switch for the original SM P11 version.  After the software exchanged hands, the SM servers were taken offline preventing any reactivation.  You needed to upgrade to the Bondware P11 versions to continue guaranteed usage.

primorge ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2021 at 11:51 AM

Or maybe life is boring for you without the conspiracy theories? Hmmm.

It couldn't possibly be that, it's a smorgasbord of conspiracy fodder everywhere far as I can see :D

And most of it much more interesting than niche 3d software diabolical plots.

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 03 November 2021 at 12:05 AM

I am no lover of the phone home set up or what I call the deactivation feature and was particularly upset at the sneaky way Smith Micro introduced it in the Game Dev upgrade but that is ancient history now.  For me it is not an issue as my computer is connected to the Internet and I have a reliable connection.  On the plus side it does provide a method by which you can add python scripts, and manage updates of the same, anything else I manually install.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Wed, 03 November 2021 at 11:06 AM

I think phone homes are useless against piracy. It is what it is, though. Company has chosen to keep it, and it's not use to keep complaining and creating convoluted stories about why they use it.

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 03 November 2021 at 4:26 PM
Afrodite-Ohki posted at 11:06 AM Wed, 3 November 2021 - #4429861

I think phone homes are useless against piracy. It is what it is, though. Company has chosen to keep it, and it's not use to keep complaining and creating convoluted stories about why they use it.

I agree on both counts, it does not stop the pirates but does make life a little more difficult to genuine users but nothing new there, Rendo are certainly not alone.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.