Fri, Apr 19, 1:10 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 19 12:35 pm)

Subject: Throwback Thursday

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2020 at 8:49 AM · edited Wed, 17 April 2024 at 8:30 AM

From the depths of my least-used runtime...

friday1.png

If you know who this is, you're old as dirt. Like me. ?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2020 at 2:26 PM

Looks like Giselle for Dina.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2020 at 6:46 PM

Congratulations, I hereby declare you old as dirt! ?

Here's Dina in in her default state:

dina.png

She was supposed to be an accurate replica of an actual person. The file size was huge. Six times the file size of Vicky, or something like that. I remember she totally bogged down my computer, even though I had a pretty good machine for the time.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2020 at 12:49 AM

I remember seeing pics of the person Dina is based on and it's a pretty good likeness. IMO, the figure was badly implemented, with too few morphs, and like the old Stephanie, bends like glass.

Yes, I am old as dirt. 61 trips around the sun, me. 😂

My Store

My Gallery

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2020 at 5:26 AM

I don't know if it was the intent, but looking at the figure now, it seems like she may have been intended for pr0n. Almost the only morphs she had were boob morphs, and morphs that opened her...nether openings.

I like her face, which is different from the usual Poser doll, but for a base figure, she's probably too top-heavy.

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2020 at 3:11 PM
Online Now!

Yeah, I had to jump through hoops to reduce her breasts. From her original site, yes she had ... strong sexual content and intent. But like you I liked her unique face and used her periodically. Used dynamic dresses on her because I never did get many clothes for her.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2020 at 3:22 PM

Hmpf, I thought you tried to do Barbie. 😄

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2020 at 8:21 PM

I bought a couple of characters and the Vina D add on. Never had much of a use for it, though. Sits in me runtime, gathering dust. I bought some other figures back then, in my early days. Anyone remember Natalia? How about Amy by (I think) Imagination Works?

My Store

My Gallery

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2020 at 8:48 PM

I have Natalia. I can't remember if I bought her, or if she was included with Dina.

I do remember that people used the Natalia Mermaid a lot more than plain ol' Natalia.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2020 at 12:05 PM

I bought them both separately. Never bothered with mermaids, other than the robot versions Ilona and I released for V3.

My Store

My Gallery

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 02 July 2020 at 11:19 AM · edited Thu, 02 July 2020 at 11:19 AM

Here's Undine!Natalia. (Do people still remember bang paths?)

undine3.jpg

With dynamic hair, because I never got anything for her but the figure.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 02 July 2020 at 12:31 PM

Doesn't look photorealistic to me. Needs more pores and blown out highlights from grease and chapped cracked lips and grain and... Lots and lots of grain. I think you might be on the wrong forum buddy lol.

All joking aside, nice job on the hair.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 02 July 2020 at 12:38 PM

I guess I wasn't around for these figures, I went from the Poser 2 or 3 woman to Jessi to V4.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 02 July 2020 at 1:04 PM

Oh lord... I recall Dina. It was frickin' HORRID to work with... I think this was the last time I ever dragged it out...

168_1071361189.jpg

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 02 July 2020 at 2:38 PM

She certainly had a different look. Didn't bend very well, though.

Though I still like her face.

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2021 at 2:57 PM

Another blast from the past. From the depths of another little-used runtime...

fromthepast.png

For some reason, the shaders that came with her did not work at all in Poser 11. Everything was this weird, shiny dark maroon color. Had to apply all new shaders.

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 27 June 2021 at 3:18 PM

Yamato and BillyT's ChibiBel. Not one of his stronger offerings, XinXin is much better. ChibiBel is long extinct at Daz but I think her older sister BelBel is still there, might be mistaken. XinXin is alive and well however. XinXin and BelBel require A3 obj... not sure about ChibiBel.

randym77 ( ) posted Sun, 27 June 2021 at 5:10 PM

Chibibel is a standalone figure, which probably didn't help its acceptance.

There's still clothes and stuff for Chibibel at DAZ, weirdly, but not the figure itself.

I have XinXin as well. I got her as part of the Made In Japan bundle...for $1.99. Must have been a Platinum Club special or something. There's a lot of stuff in that bundle. I wasn't really into toon/anime back then, but I guess I couldn't resist that price.

Looking through DAZ's back catalog...I really like Nana, the chibi toon figure. She actually has a child-like figure. Other chibi Poser figures I've found have boobs, which I personally don't care for in such a child-like figure.

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 27 June 2021 at 6:29 PM

Mm. Child-like is kind of built in to the Anime/Manga facial style by default in many instances. Kawaii in it's most innocent aspects and Lolicon in it's more problematic. Not a weeaboo sort of fan really but I like a lot of examples of the Japanese style; Shunya Yamashita, Junji Ito, and Satoshi Kon are up there in my pantheon of favorite cartoonists in their respective genres. I collect most of the Japanese toon Poser figures just as a matter of course.

Satoshi Kon, Perfect Blue... perfect-blue-promo.jpg

randym77 ( ) posted Sun, 27 June 2021 at 7:22 PM

I've gotten more interested in toon/manga type figures lately. The realistic figures are well into the uncanny valley now.

I'll have to pick up Nana the next time they put it on sale. I think she could pass as male or female, with that child-like body shape. (Ever the problem with Poser figures: a lot of sexy young chicks, not so many males or other ages.)

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2021 at 11:19 PM

Another blast from the past: Mia, the Millennium Catwoman.

One of my favorite figures, really, despite her age.

I could swear the version Little_Dragon had in Free Stuff had digitigrade legs, at least at one point. Because I remember someone wanted the first version, with plantigrade feet, so he could put her in high heels. I had a copy of the older version, and got permission from Little_Dragon to give it to that person. (LD didn't have enough bandwidth to host both versions at his site that month.)

But it seems the version in Free Stuff now has the plantigrade feet. Did he change it?

Also, the tail has a "lion tuft" morph, but it doesn't seem to work correctly. I can see the tuft in wireframe mode, but it doesn't render. Is this the geometry switching problem mentioned in other threads here, or some other problem? I could swear it used to work.

VZwRO6hB75asYyOpKM8Lo3N76unkgQP2jm9EsMzr.png

primorge ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2021 at 11:49 PM · edited Tue, 12 October 2021 at 11:56 PM

Also, the tail has a "lion tuft" morph, but it doesn't seem to work correctly. I can see the tuft in wireframe mode, but it doesn't render. Is this the geometry switching problem mentioned in other threads here, or some other problem? I could swear it used to work

Might be. Although it seems it was the dial itself that was hidden with the genital switch changes.

If you are seeing the switch mesh in wireframe it sounds more like another issue. Wouldn't be able to tell without more information, or actually looking at it.

primorge ( ) posted Wed, 13 October 2021 at 12:02 AM · edited Wed, 13 October 2021 at 12:10 AM

With switching the alternate geometry is either there or isn't, if it isn't it wouldn't show in wireframe. Sounds more like an actor display style or material issue, or even a normals issue. With little to go on, and not knowing how the tail is modeled,

I would select that tail part and try changing display styles via object:display style

Or look at what the materials are for that part

Or, if its created using one sided planes, similar to hair, try checking normals forward in the material.

All guesses...

primorge ( ) posted Wed, 13 October 2021 at 12:18 AM

...Or try toggling visibilty in hierarchy. Even if showing as visible try toggling it on and off anyway.

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 13 October 2021 at 5:02 AM

If you want to look at the tail, it's a freebie, available on LD's web site:

http://littledragon.francemi.net/misc_01.htm

(It's "Bushy Tail 2.")

primorge ( ) posted Wed, 13 October 2021 at 1:38 PM

Just got home, I'll take a look and see what's what.

primorge ( ) posted Wed, 13 October 2021 at 5:19 PM · edited Wed, 13 October 2021 at 5:19 PM

Loaded the tail in Poser 11, dialed lion tail to 1 and applied lion tail mat. Everything seems to be working...

DQPTnVLTPOfj1cM9dRjVUT6M4ZNGG86xilqZND4U.png

IkKOcLtbIL07KcccWrLggC6H9YIYCM8263Oohzwd.png

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 13 October 2021 at 7:19 PM

Thanks! I didn't realize there was a separate lion tail MAT.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.