Tue, Apr 16, 8:26 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 16 5:17 am)

Subject: Miki and other older characters

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 06 October 2021 at 9:06 AM · edited Sun, 14 April 2024 at 4:13 AM

It might have been during Smith Micro time, but there were some FREE character releases, I remember Miki, going through several generations, and I believe there were others. 

Are they included in the new Poser 12 releases? 

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 06 October 2021 at 10:02 AM

Miki 4 is the only addition to P12 and, IIRC, she was included last year.  I am not aware of any plans for releasing Generation 2 figures for P12.

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 06 October 2021 at 4:20 PM

I don't recall them ever being free, though maybe I missed it.  I bought the original Miki. I think she was $19.95, which was 50% off. I bought the G2 figures as well.

Bondware should consider making the G2 figures free with Poser. I think the ethnic diversity would be be useful. And I can't imagine they sell a lot of copies in RMP these days. If they're willing to give away Miki 4, why not the G2 figures?

Rhia474 ( ) posted Wed, 06 October 2021 at 4:49 PM
Online Now!

Poser 12 includes all legacy content that shipped with previous versions. Not all, but some of the G2 characters came with Poser 7 (like JamesG2, SydneyG2) so those should be in the aposer 7 legacy folder. Not sure about Miki.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 07 October 2021 at 12:41 AM · edited Thu, 07 October 2021 at 12:41 AM

ISTR Miki 3 or 4 was available free - or reduced price - with an earlier version of Poser, as an introductory offer.  You bought Poser, gave Smith Micro the product code and got Miki.  It was at the time Steve Cooper was running the show.

He very kindly gifted me what was at the time the latest version of Poser, so I could get me hands on Miki.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 07 October 2021 at 11:51 AM

The other Generation 2's included Kevin, Koji, and Olivia, all for purchase when Content Paradise was around.  As I mentioned above, Miki 4 is the only one of the lot that is now offered for free as part of the Poser legacy figures.  It is a shame that not much content was generated for her, I really like the model, had much potential.

Richard60 ( ) posted Thu, 07 October 2021 at 9:14 PM

Miki 4 is Miki 3 just weight mapped.  So anything for Miki 3 should fit.

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 08 October 2021 at 7:10 AM · edited Fri, 08 October 2021 at 7:13 AM
Forum Moderator Online Now!

It's not exact. Even copying the joint zones, it doesn't quite fit. I don't have Miki 3 but I downloaded some of her stuff to try on Miki4. Miki 4 doesn't have buttock bones while the clothing does. It probably wouldn't take much effort in the fitting room to convert it.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 08 October 2021 at 9:37 AM

I agree with RedPhantom on that issue.  I recently discovered this problem when dressing Miki 4 with Miki 3 converted clothing.  That took me by surprise.

mickmca ( ) posted Sun, 10 October 2021 at 3:06 PM

Poser 12 made a bunch of odd changes in the "Legacy" material. One of the most startling is a bit of prudery about the males. When you load James (P6), he comes in castrated. I know, I know, educational market and so force. But a naked person should look like a human. What's really bizarre is that the genital is there, it's just flagged Invisible. I discovered this while trying to find something, anything, to click on. I haven't confirmed yet, but I suspect that Jessi has had her morphs twiddled. I'm going to reload my original P6 Jessi and do a comparison.

The other potentially huge change is the disappearance of the Face Room. I do almost all my native Poser images with either Jessi or the G2 (with a preference for Miki and the old RDNA textures for her). But I never use their default faces which are often (I'm looking at you, Sydney) borderline bizarre. Well, unless you are a morph maven or a Blacksmither, or there is some tool or tweak in the product I haven't found, you are now stuck with the face "out of the box."

To end on a note of positivity, the Manual is now a local HTML file. That's good for getting at info quickly. Since my 3D system is offline for security reasons, it sure beats the 3D equivalent of Steamworks, where you have to be online to use products you have spent bundles on. Unfortunately the new manual format makes printing nearly impossible. I'm hoping for a PDF alternative, preferably formatted for letter-size paper not the postcard pages a previous version slapped on the disk.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 10 October 2021 at 5:23 PM

The old legacy content used geometry switching to swap a hip with genitals with one without it. It is obsolete and breaks the newer geometry. You can read more about it here https://www.renderosity.com/forums/comments/4427931/permalink as well as a workaround.

I don't remember the reason given for the face room being removed, but it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't a similar reason. IIRC it seemed there were less options on newer models than the old ones and there were models it didn't work with.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

primorge ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2021 at 6:53 AM · edited Tue, 12 October 2021 at 7:02 AM
RedPhantom posted at 5:23 PM Sun, 10 October 2021 - #4428751

The old legacy content used geometry switching to swap a hip with genitals with one without it. It is obsolete and breaks the newer geometry. You can read more about it here https://www.renderosity.com/forums/comments/4427931/permalink as well as a workaround.

It's not obsolete in the slightest.

It's very very useful in figures that are mechanical, segmented, robot, etc. It allows you to swap out any number of body parts via a dial; the parts are unique geometry (unlike morph) that can contain their own unique UVs, material definitions, and morphs. If you are only looking through the lens of a Poser figure that has welded body part groups and requires unbroken or mesh continuous bends I can see where this might seem to be the case, in fact, by and large, there are more Poser figures in existence that DON'T fit that criteria. Most likely many aren't even aware of the hidden functionality, it's simply a few instances of code and a geometry file reference in a cr2. 

Just wanted to point this out, it's a topic that been of interest to me and also a concern about changes or deprecation of Poser features going forward.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2021 at 11:32 AM
primorge posted at 6:53 AM Tue, 12 October 2021 - #4428812
RedPhantom posted at 5:23 PM Sun, 10 October 2021 - #4428751

It's not obsolete in the slightest.

It's very very useful in figures that are mechanical, segmented, robot, etc. It allows you to swap out any number of body parts via a dial; the parts are unique geometry (unlike morph) that can contain their own unique UVs, material definitions, and morphs. If you are only looking through the lens of a Poser figure that has welded body part groups and requires unbroken or mesh continuous bends I can see where this might seem to be the case, in fact, by and large, there are more Poser figures in existence that DON'T fit that criteria. Most likely many aren't even aware of the hidden functionality, it's simply a few instances of code and a geometry file reference in a cr2. 

Just wanted to point this out, it's a topic that been of interest to me and also a concern about changes or deprecation of Poser features going forward.

I'm repeating what one of the developers said. If you follow the link, you can read a more thorough explanation. And while I agree that geometry switching would be nice, and can see plenty of uses for it,  the question wasn't about generic switching of any part, the replace body part with prop is still there. The question was about the genital switch. Just switching out a hip is less useful. Very rarely do you see a robot with just a mechanical pelvis area or someone with a prosthetic pelvis. Hip replacements look aren't visible from the outside save for a scar.

primorge ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2021 at 4:59 PM · edited Tue, 12 October 2021 at 5:01 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

I read Nerd's comment about Geometry Switching not being compatible with weight mapped cr2's, before I even made my original post. I think maybe you don't understand...

Geometry switching can work with any body part actor and as you must know there are many types of Poser "Figures", not just humanoid that are expected to bend. And surely you don't think it's only for hip body parts? ANY body part.

Architectural figures for instance. At the spin of a dial you can swap out multiple door types (or any "body part", e.g. rigged element)  that can have it's own unique mesh not dependent on matching vert order/count (as do morphs), including new UVs, materials, and morphs.

Or SamTherapy's Geometry Switching Daleks for instance (not a pelvis in sight there)

Or Kirwyn's original Kez figure that had multiple dialable outfits built into the figure

Or the Geometry Switching hands I built for the Missus figure I created

And many more examples, including things created by Anton Kisiel

The uses for the tech encompass much more than genitalia. And much more flexible and sophisticated than replace body part with prop.

Very old images of my Missus figure's Geometry Switching hands...

fzHiQIdjA8GJhutPMdbhmMtMUW3JcgZWJQvF67Eg.jpg

aJyB96tc419t0ddoGC485MzbLSFkHLp5oyHTHu7m.jpg

FHgFdJSbhMfi0EebUJB6qHzMdneCR2Ncl0tojZa3.jpg

My point being that I think it would be a mistake to dump the tech, if it comes to that. Not all "figures" require weight mapping or unimesh. In fact the large percentage of cr2s you'll find dont...

primorge ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2021 at 5:10 PM · edited Tue, 12 October 2021 at 5:15 PM

kpcq5Thma9n9Gv2FTM0vGEPUDG4N41y8fHs1wy2f.jpg

Tcw1N4Hl8rcyN52U9CaQArFtvefrEfgKGdgviBsb.jpg

SLGFUOzzNQtRqXlqYRgdAQlRmI5iOIp3biOmKcbA.jpg

1GsortPKTGX4APQQeuRvQfpThKx4FSfgxOU094iI.jpg

EDBHabWrgdgcFPKr0mhd7MXRJWICv5pILksD6lc3.jpg

Except for the rsr commentary these things are still relevant in Poser. Or at least last I checked. Geometry switching still works in 11 pro.

DarthJ ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2021 at 6:56 PM · edited Wed, 17 November 2021 at 10:13 AM

I thought this thread was about Miki.

Miki 2 up to 2021 standards, sub-divided and sub-surface shading.

olH83bXp3o99ExA5kbDca1e3uHrsz5MGTblZlZ3n.jpg

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2021 at 7:18 PM

She would probably need glute implants to go with the breast ones to be up to 2021 standards.

DarthJ ( ) posted Fri, 29 October 2021 at 4:02 AM · edited Fri, 29 October 2021 at 4:09 AM

It's all natural. Though you need the NGM morphs, still visible yet not available at  the Marketplace.

NGM for Miki2 Posermatic (renderosity.com)

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 29 October 2021 at 4:32 AM

DarthJ posted at 4:02 AM Fri, 29 October 2021 - #4429539

It's all natural. Though you need the NGM morphs, still visible yet not available at  the Marketplace.

NGM for Miki2 Posermatic (renderosity.com)

Good sets there, morph sets that is. Odd that Posermatic only has a few left in the store, in particular the pack for TY2 is still up. Wonder why the V4 and Miki packs are no longer available. I made a similar morph set for La Femme, EBM; 33 Breast Morphs for La Femme. Not quite as specific, or perhaps refined, as his packs though. It's in the process of being reworked and included with a larger morph pack I've been working on. I pulled the original, along with my other things, from ShareCG but you can get a copy here if curious...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VzO1E1K6VoTPr3DtYd59OWRyMNCYOxdT/view?usp=drivesdk

Sorry for the OT

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 29 October 2021 at 9:16 AM

Renderosity used to automatically remove things that didn't sell well enough.

They've changed their policy. Some vendors put items that had been removed back on sale. Some didn't. There are several products I wish the vendors would put back, but they appear to have wandered off and aren't into Poser any more.

There are a few items where you don't get notified if you've already bought something, I think because the vendor re-uploaded it as a new product.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.