Wed, Apr 24, 6:20 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 24 9:07 am)

Subject: connecting files

arrowhead42 ( ) posted Tue, 28 September 2021 at 6:31 PM · edited Sun, 21 April 2024 at 3:21 AM

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone can shed some light for me....

When making a character (.cr2) for sale as a vendor, I created a separate .OBJ file from the one I used in the creation process. The new .OBJ dropped right into the folder in my character library where the .cr2 is located. Can I leave it there, or does it need to be re-located to my geometries folder?

And it if does, I'm unsure of the process that instructs Poser, when loading the .cr2 into a scene, how and where to look in my geometries folder for the appropriate .OBJ

Thanks in advance -

Here's the link to my freebies:   https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?uid=493127

"I can't stand it when people pointlessly repeat themselves. I can't stand it. I really can't!!"

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 28 September 2021 at 7:03 PM
Online Now!

You will need to edit the .cr2 to point to the new location if you decide to move the .obj file to the Geometry Folder.  If you have it installed on your system, use NotePad++ to edit the lines.  It is a free app and very reliable for those types of edits.  IIRC, there are 2 entries that need to be edited.

arrowhead42 ( ) posted Tue, 28 September 2021 at 7:30 PM

I have Notepad++ and I used it to set up rotation limits and such on my model. I'm slogging through the .cr2 file with it now, to find the notations I need to edit

Here's the link to my freebies:   https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?uid=493127

"I can't stand it when people pointlessly repeat themselves. I can't stand it. I really can't!!"

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 28 September 2021 at 8:07 PM
Online Now!

If your .obj has a name associated with it, use the search feature to find it.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 28 September 2021 at 10:42 PM

Use Cr2Editor, which is free and a heck of a lot easier to use than Notepad.  Can't remember where to find it at the moment but Google is yer man there.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

primorge ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2021 at 12:58 AM · edited Wed, 29 September 2021 at 12:59 AM

Changing geometry file path references in a cr2 takes about a minute to do in either a regular text editor or in a dedicated poser file editor. Just do a search for (your obj name).obj, theres 2 instances, figureResFile, in a cr2 file. At the start and after the Geometry Section. It's so easy that a dedicated file editor isn't really required but...

The Cr2 Editor SamTherapy mentions can only be found on the Wayback machine/Internet archive now. It still runs in Win 10...

John Stalling's Cr2 Editor

https://web.archive.org/web/20191124193835/http://www.morphography.uk.vu/dl.php?file=Cr2Editor151.zip

gi1qnWIKRhLybGU4pSFoEcKUW9fwnEC1aXmlv3eG.png

9LvCaBjAG79zvHLXWlNRpvhG6GpTwb79wDGKO3T6.png

primorge ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2021 at 1:21 AM · edited Wed, 29 September 2021 at 1:22 AM
arrowhead42 posted at 7:30 PM Tue, 28 September 2021 - #4428254

I have Notepad++ and I used it to set up rotation limits and such on my model. I'm slogging through the .cr2 file with it now, to find the notations I need to edit

You can force limits on dials and toggle dial visibility from within Poser, "slogging" isn't necessary.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2021 at 6:22 PM · edited Wed, 29 September 2021 at 6:23 PM

Alternatively, if you're on Poser12 and would rather drop a penny to have something do that for you along with other creation tools, you can try Wolfnom's Fix-A-File script :)

And to set up rotation limits, hide and show morphs etc, he has another script coming soon :D

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2021 at 6:48 PM

Just correcting myself: incoming plugin doesn't set up rotation limits, only morph limits. Sorry, got confused!

- - - - - - 

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

primorge ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2021 at 7:16 PM
Nice to see some scripts rolling out for 12, I think OP is using 11. You know you can set up limits for ANY dial simply by double clicking it. Limits copy over to inject and library files too, although sometimes you need to apply the inject and resave it. Just sayin' :)

primorge ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2021 at 7:30 PM

I will level a particular critique of the state of the script market for 12 however...

I'd hardly call 20 dollars "a penny" to run a script that has far less than half the functionality of Netherwork's Creators Toybox which went for less than that when it was available to boot. Not to dis or ring a sour note but it's a fact. Seems a bit much considering, but hey... supply and demand does strange things.

primorge ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2021 at 8:27 PM

Any dial... morph, translate, rotate, scale. Double clicking it will bring up a dial settings dialogue. 

Limits

Visibility

Sensitivity

Internal name

External name

jLV3vS8Vc5eBJYVEeSfREQS4Bc9aE3XnSVDGCsv4.png

arrowhead42 ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2021 at 6:26 PM

Well, I dug around in the contents of an old external hard drive and found a copy of.cr2 Editor. I placed of copy of my .OBJ file in the geometries folder, edited the figureResFile to point to it and now all is right with the world :)

I'd forgotten that I can do rotation limits, etc right in Poser, and I've already done them in Notepad++. But this is good info for next time.Thanks everyone!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2021 at 12:57 PM

@ Primorge:  I get there are other, newer ways to do these things; some may even be better, but I'm used to Cr2Editor and I much prefer it to clicking on dials in Poser.

Whatever works best for you is always the best way, IMO.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2021 at 3:45 PM
SamTherapy posted at 12:57 PM Fri, 1 October 2021 - #4428364

@ Primorge:  I get there are other, newer ways to do these things; some may even be better, but I'm used to Cr2Editor and I much prefer it to clicking on dials in Poser.

Whatever works best for you is always the best way, IMO.

Was more aimed at OP, and I agree. Being that I'm constantly creating morphs and such I have to manipulate dials settings quite a bit. It's not just a once in a blue moon type thing with my Poser use. Just seems like I've encountered numerous instances where people seem unaware of it. Shrug.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2021 at 7:00 AM

primorge posted at 7:30 PM Wed, 29 September 2021 - #4428285

I'd hardly call 20 dollars "a penny" to run a script that has far less than half the functionality of Netherwork's Creators Toybox which went for less than that when it was available to boot. Not to dis or ring a sour note but it's a fact. Seems a bit much considering, but hey... supply and demand does strange things.

I get your point, however Netherwork's stuff came out years ago. Money has changed value since then. If you check the other scripts in the market, you'll see that the price for them is also something around that.

In any case, was just offering options. :)

- - - - - - 

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2021 at 8:33 AM
Afrodite-Ohki posted at 7:00 AM Sat, 2 October 2021 - #4428402

primorge posted at 7:30 PM Wed, 29 September 2021 - #4428285

I get your point, however Netherwork's stuff came out years ago. Money has changed value since then. If you check the other scripts in the market, you'll see that the price for them is also something around that.

In any case, was just offering options. :)

Glad you weren't offended by my personal feelings on the subject.

NikKelly ( ) posted Mon, 04 October 2021 at 6:16 AM

Thank you all. Happens I'd forgotten about that dial rotation limit facility...

Wrangling OBJs & PP2s, I've used Notepad, Wordpad and/or PhilC's classic utilities. IIRC, though semi-retired, he up-dated his ($$) PZ3 etc editor to let it work in Win'10.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.