Wed, Apr 24, 11:22 AM CDT

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 22 3:23 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Here's a fun update on me cancer

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 6:32 PM · edited Tue, 23 April 2024 at 6:30 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Great news is, the cancer hasn't decided to leap out from the initial site and take up residence in other bits of me, which is always a plus. Apparently, the next favoured place for it to set up camp is the skeleton, which is definitely much less fun than it sounds.

The next good news is, because of this, and the fact it's not an otherwise aggressive form, treatment is definitely viable, with a very good chance - they never say perfect - of a full recovery.

Now for the bad news...

There are three different sorts of treatment available. The first and simplest is surgery, where they dig right in and chop that sucker out. Works just about perfectly, just about every time. Unfortunately, there's a very good chance it can leave the patient with lifelong incontinence and feeling like they have a stone in their shoe. That is to say, it makes you limp. Ha bloody ha. Basically, there's a very good chance the surgeon chops through all those lovely nerves that make a gentleman's anatomy do what it was made to do, leaving it like the sad, flaccid neck of a deflated balloon. Thanks a lot but no thanks.

The second option is something called External Beam Therapy. Simple version is the victim, erm, patient is face down on a table and has hig intensity X Rays fired at their nether regions. This usually zaps those naughty cancer cells. There are, however, some seriously horrifying caveats to this one. First of all, there's a 6-8 week course of hormone suppressants to shrink the prostate. This can leave the patient weak, tired and generally not feeling up for a game of Football, or mountain climbing. Additionally, the treatment itself can cause impotence, incontinence and what we'll call "Distress in the lower tract". Another downside, if you need more, is the treatment is not always a rip roaring success but it also means other treatments are, as they say "extremely difficult", which is the nearest you'll hear a doctor come to say, "Not a fucking chance, mate". Oh, and did I mention, should any of the side effects appear, they're pretty much irreversible? Again, that's a no thanks.

This leaves the third option, Permanent Seed Brachytherapy. Gee, I'm excited already, just from the name. Anyhow, this particular bundle of joy involves having lots of tiny radioactive particles injected into the site. It's a very effective treatment, with - at least compared to the others - minimal downsides, or at least, there are fewer people affected long term and of those who really have it bad, there are remedies, but... it hurts like buggery. Literally like buggery. One guy compared it to feeling like he had a hedgehog shoved up his arse. That's probably not as enjoyable as it sounds, either. The other, huge downside to this one is, introducing radioactive materials into your tender self is generally not a great idea, and can lead to all sorts of strange and most likely unpleasant outcomes in the future.

Anyhow, they are the options. All things considered, though, I'll probably go for the hedgehog up the arse. We shall see. :D

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 7:14 PM
Online Now!

Now, did the doctors say that they have these medical hedgehogs, or do you have to catch one yourself? Inquiring minds want to know.

Boni ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 9:53 PM

You are in my thoughts and my heart, my friend, dearest fortune be in your favor.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2021 at 2:41 AM

hborre posted at 2:40AM Thu, 19 August 2021 - #4425608

Now, did the doctors say that they have these medical hedgehogs, or do you have to catch one yourself? Inquiring minds want to know.

I believe they are specially bred for the job. :D

@ Boni, many thanks and I'm sure everything will be fine.

My Store

My Gallery

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2021 at 7:48 AM

I've got a hedgehog in the garden, but I can't see it volunteering to visit to your nether regions.

I thought there was some sort of laser therapy nowadays - or is that the invasive x-ray you mention? None of these options sound much fun. Hope they can come up with some other (more pleasant) therapy!

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2021 at 8:40 AM
Online Now!

Radiation therapy seems to be the most effective although it is basically a shotgun approach for treatment. But consider this, we are constantly bombarded by different sources of radiation of one kind or another. Solar radiation, Americium 241 (AM-241) or Radium 226 (RA-226) found in smoke detectors, microwaves, etc are all part of our lives. It's just a matter of how long you are exposed to it. Lasers are very effective on pinpoint targets like tumor masses but not very practical for treating wide-range areas.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2021 at 4:24 PM

Well, folks, these are the three treatments available for me. Granted the first one is robotic, teleoperated by a very experienced surgeon but even so, they admit there's a significant risk of snipping something that shouldn't be snipped. It's very effective at getting rid of the cancer, though. The X Ray one is somewhat more complex, and as I noted, a damn sight less pleasant both in the short, and potentially long term. The hedgehog up the bum is at least as effective as the others, and seems to carry fewer risks to the old wedding tackle.

Nobody mentioned anything about laser surgery. Maybe it's not considered an option in this case.

I've been advised by two senior consultants that they believe the hedgehog approach is the best option, and one they'd go for, and two who said they wouldn't go near it. So, even though there's a risk of things going bad due to radiation effects later in life, I'm seriously considering it. After all, I'm 62, so how long could I expect to be around anyhow?

My Store

My Gallery

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2021 at 4:56 PM
Online Now!

You know, at 62, by the time something crops up from that treatment, you'd have other health problems that will overshadow those end results. Good luck to you. I know you will make the best decision on the options offered to you.

hornet3d ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2021 at 7:06 AM

I am 67 and already a type 2 diabetic, and hborre is on the something as the health problems continue to mount, what my pharmacist describes as a side effect of staying alive.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2021 at 2:08 PM

hornet3d posted at 2:07PM Fri, 20 August 2021 - #4425709

I am 67 and already a type 2 diabetic, and hborre is on the something as the health problems continue to mount, what my pharmacist describes as a side effect of staying alive.

I was pre-diabetic a while ago but having changed my diet considerably, I'm no longer at risk. So far. Other things continue to mount up, though. It's great fun getting old. If I ever bump into Rabbi ben Ezra, I'm going to kick his arse. :D

My Store

My Gallery

Torquinox ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2021 at 8:59 PM
Online Now!

That's quite a choice, Sam. They all sound horrible, but I'd probably take the hedgehog, too. I hope all goes well for you, whatever you decide.

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Sat, 21 August 2021 at 3:38 AM

Here you are ... https://youtu.be/rkXkZ-NQ-58

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 21 August 2021 at 5:43 PM

Lovely, thank you for posting. We get plenty of 'em round here. Our outdoor cameras pick them up from time to time.

My Store

My Gallery

Miss B ( ) posted Sat, 21 August 2021 at 7:37 PM

SamTherapy posted at 7:34PM Sat, 21 August 2021 - #4425727

It's great fun getting old. If I ever bump into Rabbi ben Ezra, I'm going to kick his arse. :D

Grow old along with me!
The best is yet to be [...]
— Stanza I, lines 1-2

Take it one day at a time Sam, and you'll do fine. 😉

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 25 September 2021 at 2:10 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

A little update:

Since I last posted here, I've had a further consultation with the Urology department, because the Brachytherapy team (the 'Hedgehog up the bum' guys) have said it's going to be difficult at the moment.  Anyhow, the Urology gang want to do more tests to see if they can improve or mitigate my flow, as it were.

Personally, I think they're taking the piss.  ;)

My Store

My Gallery

Torquinox ( ) posted Sun, 26 September 2021 at 3:19 PM
Online Now!

That's not great :(

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2021 at 12:26 AM
Torquinox posted at 3:19 PM Sun, 26 September 2021 - #4428140

OTOH, it's not terrible, either.  I saw a Urology doc last week who told me, that as things stand, I could - if I wanted - hold off on treatment for a lot longer, since the cancer is relatively low level and behaving itself.  I'm not going to do that, though, since it's been about 2 years since my diagnosis and I want the damn thing out.  Although it's not putting me in any immediate danger - which is very good news - the sooner it's dealt with, the better.

My Store

My Gallery

hornet3d ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2021 at 2:24 AM
SamTherapy posted at 12:26 AM Mon, 27 September 2021 - #4428156

OTOH, it's not terrible, either.  I saw a Urology doc last week who told me, that as things stand, I could - if I wanted - hold off on treatment for a lot longer, since the cancer is relatively low level and behaving itself.  I'm not going to do that, though, since it's been about 2 years since my diagnosis and I want the damn thing out.  Although it's not putting me in any immediate danger - which is very good news - the sooner it's dealt with, the better.

That certainly is good news but I can well understand your decision to continue to press on with the treatment.....Good Luck.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Torquinox ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2021 at 8:49 AM
Online Now!

Yes. Best wishes for most successful treatment, Sam!

Miss B ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2021 at 10:16 AM · edited Mon, 27 September 2021 at 10:17 AM

Although it's not putting me in any immediate danger - which is very good news - the sooner it's dealt with, the better.

I agree.  Good luck with whatever decision you make, and I'm hoping you have a speedy recovery.

Butterfly Dezignz

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 04 October 2021 at 7:09 PM

After more tests with the Urology people - I told you they were taking the piss - they reckon I'm just fine and dandy for the hedgehog up the jacksie option, and they've written to 'em to say as much.

I await the outcome of that with antici... pation (Frank N Furter reference).

In the meantime, I've been advised to contact the XRay gang for a one to one with the head honcho, even though it's a treatment I'd rather avoid.  

It's all fun.  For a given value of "fun", that is.

My Store

My Gallery

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 05 October 2021 at 8:34 AM

((((HUGS))))

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Miss B ( ) posted Tue, 05 October 2021 at 10:02 AM

Sending my good wishes to you Sam.

((((HUGS)))) from me as well.

Butterfly Dezignz

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 07 October 2021 at 3:36 PM

Hey, now... hugs from two very lovely ladies.  How could I ever resist?  Thank you so much.  

As for what's happening, I have every confidence it will all work out well.

My Store

My Gallery

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.