Forum: Poser 12

Subject: Render Dpi vs Pixle?

igohigh opened this issue on Sep 10, 2021 ยท 78 posts

ChromeStar posted Mon, 13 September 2021 at 8:47 PM

JoEtzold posted at 8:38PM Mon, 13 September 2021 - #4427304

@ChromeStar: I'm with you generally. But I have a bit problem like you use the word "resolution" (may be it's a german-english problem of me). With a look to the Photoshop example in the post above yours it's like I understand.

On one hand there is the PIXEL DIMENSIONS in height-pixel and width-pixel giving the resulting file size of the image in megabyte, kilobyte or such. And on the other hand there is the DOCUMENT SIZE given in height-inches and width-inches (or if choosen cm or such) AND the resolution what is the DPI. And DPI is the bridge between both blocks e.g. changing that DPI while pixel dimensions keeps the same will change the document size in inches.

When I said "resolution" I meant the actual total number of pixels in the image. That's because the term is somewhat ambiguous about whether it is resolution of a sensor, a total image size, or print density; for clarity I should have said total pixel dimensions instead.

Let me just restate my point with that corrected, and you can tell me whether it makes sense.

But for your other point, although for many purposes DPI is basically meaningless and only total pixel dimension really matters, and DPI can be changed without changing a single pixel if the total pixel dimension remains the same, DPI is still denoted in many types of image files, and that DPI may affect for example the size of the image when you embed it, or if you print it in an application that does not give you the opportunity to do any scaling, etc. It's apparent from your comparisons that Poser is failing to write that information and the images remain at the default DPI of the format. Given your comparison between P11 and P12, that bug must have appeared new in P12.

If total pixel dimensions remain constant and DPI changes, then necessarily the image size must change, because any of those values is a function of the other two (regardless of the application).