Thu, Apr 18, 10:48 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 18 10:16 am)

Subject: height chart

lakes123 ( ) posted Sat, 29 May 2021 at 7:52 PM ยท edited Wed, 17 April 2024 at 1:06 AM

I don't know if this is the proper spot for this. I'm looking for a height chart prop that can measure over 10 ft.

Boni ( ) posted Sat, 29 May 2021 at 8:13 PM

Check out Free Stuff, I believe there are a couple of them there.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 30 May 2021 at 5:56 AM

The whole concept of height and size is a huge can of worms in Poser. There are several different standards, so whatever you're measuring may look over or undersized, depending on the models you use it with.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

randym77 ( ) posted Sun, 30 May 2021 at 6:15 AM

Yeah, scale is a mess in Poser. Though you can always rescale to get the effect you want.

If you want a height chart that goes higher than 10', you might have to make your own. Maybe start with that 10' chart available at ShareCG. You could stack two or more of them, and copy and paste numbers to get the effect you want.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 30 May 2021 at 7:11 AM
Forum Moderator Online Now!

I don't know if you want to check proportions on something or just measure something, but Poser 11 and 12 have a measurement tool. It can be used for any length.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Sun, 30 May 2021 at 10:12 AM

https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2939422

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

lakes123 ( ) posted Mon, 31 May 2021 at 10:20 PM

Couldn't find it here. I'm looking for a height chart for Poser. Looking for it to measure over 10 ft.

FVerbaas ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2021 at 3:54 AM
Forum Coordinator

Easiest is to use Poser's measurement tool. The measurements returned are based on 1 Poser Native Unit(PNU) is 8.6 ft., so about 2.62 m. For some reason many models available are made assuming 1 unit is 8ft. This explains the confusion. For older Poser versions that do not have the measurement tool load the simple square from props. It has a size of 1ft. Y-scale and x-scale it to measure. For accuracy you can give it a checkboard texture with 0.1 or 0.0825 tile size. Alternatively Google a scale and add it as texture. You can calibrate by moving the prop up and down.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2021 at 5:38 AM

Since he's asking for a prop, I think he wants an actual chart. Like, maybe he's rendering a mug shot of a giant.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2021 at 6:00 AM

FVerbaas posted at 5:43AM Tue, 01 June 2021 - #4420251

Easiest is to use Poser's measurement tool. The measurements returned are based on 1 Poser Native Unit(PNU) is 8.6 ft., so about 2.62 m. For some reason many models available are made assuming 1 unit is 8ft. This explains the confusion.

It's even more complicated than that. Originally, Poser didn't have a scale. It had Poser Native Units, but no explanation of what that meant in real life. The only clue was a mention in the manual that Dork was about 6' tall. His height was .75 PNUs. That made 1 PNU=8'. A lot of content creators adopted that scale, including DAZ.

Poser didn't come out with an official scale until...Poser 6, I think it was. They decided 1 PNU=8.6 feet. (Why, Curious Labs, why?) By then, the 1 PNU=8' scale was well-entrenched. DAZ did not change their scale, which is why Vicky seems like an Amazon by the official Poser scale. 1 PNU=8' in DAZ-land to this day.

Meanwhile, Dr. Geep (is he still around?), who wrote a lot of tutorials and helped a lot of newbies back in the day, decided 1 PNU= 96" and 1 PNU=103.2" were both too awkward to deal with, and created his own scale, of 1 PNU=100", which a lot of content creators adopted, since it made the math easy and wasn't too far off either the Poser scale or the DAZ scale.

JoePublic ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2021 at 10:05 AM ยท edited Tue, 01 June 2021 at 10:08 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Set your Poser units to centimeters. Then you can use yTran as your measuring scale.

Take any prop sitting on the ground, dial it's yTran to 100, and it now hovers exactly 100 cm or 1 meter above the ground

11 feet = 335.28 centimeters, so just set the yTran dial to 335.28 and you're there. Couldn't be easier than that.

But again, this works ONLY with metric units, and especially centimeters.

Likewise if you want a "universal yardstick", just scale up a cube primitive until it's exactly 100 cm large, re-name it and place it on the ground and then save that "meter-prop" back to the library.

Load that meter prop, and its scale dial will now show 100%.

You want to measure 156 cm? Just dial its yScale to 156%. You want to measure 11 feet? Just dial its yScale to 335.28%

You can of course DIRECTLY measure in any direction by using the y-, x-, and zScale dials of your "meter-prop" accordingly.

Here's how the most common Poser girls load directly from the library once you "Go-Metric". (Aneta is a custom character I re-sculpted using real-live proporitions of an actual women)

Poser Girls Sizes-2.jpg

As I said, once you "Go-Metric", there is no coming back, because this allows you to DIAL DIRECTLY any scale using the Scale and Trans dials without any need of conversion in your head.

;-)

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2021 at 11:04 AM

Bondware should nuke the 1 PNU=8.6 feet thing. (It makes no sense in metric or imperial.) Would there be any issues if they changed it to 1 PNU=8 feet? DAZ uses that. Hivewire uses that. Even Renderosity uses that, judging from the size of LF and LH.

According to that chart, V6 is 6'-4". That is crazy tall for a woman. Even the average supermodel isn't that tall.

According to English Bob's chart:

https://web.archive.org/web/20191124195837/http://www.morphography.uk.vu/scaleobj.html

By PNUs, Dawn is 6'-4", PE is 6'-3", La Femme is 6'-4", Dusk is 6'-9". L'Homme is even taller than Dusk. About 7'. Clearly, everyone's still using the DAZ/original Poser scale.

JoePublic ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2021 at 12:36 PM ยท edited Tue, 01 June 2021 at 12:44 PM

The default proportions of almost any Poser/DAZ figures are way off, anyway.

With their tiny heads, they pretty much stick to extremely tall "high fashion / superheroine / goddess" proportions. In a very idealized way, of course.

Even "Stephanie PETITE" is anything but.

The only figure so far with "average" human proportions was MIKI, as her creator used the same real-life girl as a pattern as I used for my "Aneta" morph. (My interpretation is still a bit more realistic, though, as I didn't feel the need to add a boob-job.) ;-p

While humans come in a variety of shapes and sizes, there are still rules that have to be followed: Anastazie vs Josefina-1.jpg

Unless you don't want to stay in the realm of reality, of course.

But even fantasy and idealized have their own set of rules you need to follow, if you want to achieve pleasing results.

Barbie-vs Josefina.jpg

So, as Poser scaling is completely arbitrary, you first have to create a fixed point for yourself.

In my case, that's my "Meter-Prop". With this, I can easily re-scale any figure and prop in my "Poser-Universe" to adhere to a common standard.

So it doesn't matter what standard the creator of a figure or prop originally adhered to. Once it enters "my" universe, it will be modified to matche all the other objects that already reside there.

JoePublic ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2021 at 1:33 PM ยท edited Wed, 02 June 2021 at 2:28 PM

If you want to make a universal-metric-prop for yourselve:

1. Switch units to centimeters! (Edit --> General Preferences --> Interface --> Units --> centimeters)

2. Load the "box" primitive.

3. Scale it up to 381.5 %

4. Export it as a Wavefront OBJ (FILE --> Export --> Wavefront OBJ...)

5. Save it to your desktop as obj file.

6. Re-Import that obj file again (FILE --> Import --> Wavefront OBJ...)

7. Now it gets a bit tricky: Open the Joint Editor. (Window --> Joint Editor) Set the CENTER values to ZERO. (See pic)

Meter Prop-2.jpg

1. Save it as a new prop to your library.

Now you can directly measure anything.

Here I loaded the original DAZ GIRL at her default scale. Scaled up the meter cube until it matched her height, and the yScale tells me immediately that she's 177cm tall.

Meter Prop-3.jpg

In my opinion, that's too tall given her proportions, so I scaled her down to 85% and saved her back to the library. She now loads with a height of 150cm.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2021 at 2:07 PM

By the DAZ scale, Vicky and her ilk are about 5'-11". (I think DAZ has said that's how tall she's supposed to be.) So, tall, with a tall person's proportions, but not a crazy 6'-4" tall.

And LH is just ridiculously large. Both he and Dusk would have to duck to pass through standard doors, by the current Poser scale.

Eronik ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2021 at 8:44 PM ยท edited Tue, 01 June 2021 at 8:44 PM

Wait what? Vicky is 5'-11" o.O ?

Poser's measuring tool says otherwise: 6'-4" to be exact. At least V4

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2021 at 9:14 PM ยท edited Tue, 01 June 2021 at 9:21 PM

We measured LaFemme here before ๐Ÿ˜„

https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2954549

This thread looks like a pretty good excuse to post some nudes lol

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2021 at 10:04 PM

Eronik posted at 10:01PM Tue, 01 June 2021 - #4420307

Wait what? Vicky is 5'-11" o.O ?

Poser's measuring tool says otherwise: 6'-4" to be exact. At least V4

That's my point. DAZ, Hivewire, and even Renderosity use a different scale than the "official" Poser scale. Because DAZ started making stuff before there was an official Poser scale.

Seems like hardly anyone uses the official Poser scale. I'd like to see Poser go back to the pre-Poser 6 scale. Which was unofficial, but is the one Vicky, La Femme, Dawn, PE, etc. are all based on.

FVerbaas ( ) posted Wed, 02 June 2021 at 10:43 AM
Forum Coordinator

That would be the best indeed. 1 PNU = 8 ft. Choosing a semi-metric middle standard (1 PNU = 2.5 m) would only add to the confusion I am afraid. I use 1PNU=8 ft for the interaction with Marvelous Designer, where patterns provided are defined in (real) cm.

Eronik ( ) posted Wed, 02 June 2021 at 11:20 AM ยท edited Wed, 02 June 2021 at 2:28 PM

TwiztidKidd posted at 11:06AM Wed, 02 June 2021 - #4420309

... This thread looks like a pretty good excuse to post some nudes lol

Ain't that the truth! Because as you know, it's easier to judge their heights when they are topless ;)

height.png

The Amazonian is stock V4/La Femme height of 6' 4". The redhead is average 18 year old height of 5' 4"
They'll have a jolly good time interacting with each other ;)

Their height was dialed in to precision with Poser's measuring tool.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 02 June 2021 at 2:30 PM
Forum Moderator Online Now!

Just remember to check the nudity tag if an image has nudity. It doesn't affect the height of the figure at all.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Eronik ( ) posted Wed, 02 June 2021 at 5:33 PM

My bad RP. Will keep that in mind next time.

lakes123 ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 3:53 AM

randym77 posted at 3:52AM Tue, 08 June 2021 - #4420256

Since he's asking for a prop, I think he wants an actual chart. Like, maybe he's rendering a mug shot of a giant. yes Im looking for that.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 5:38 AM ยท edited Tue, 08 June 2021 at 5:42 AM

10 feet!? I think you'll have to make your own image for that.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

emjay247 ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 11:23 AM
Online Now!

https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/72218/the-universal-sizing-apparatus-hxwxd-inches

I use this to try to keep my scaling consistent. There is a metric version as well. Wall charts can be deceptive depending on the perspective and lens type of your poser camera.

BTW, I learned the hard way that if you use multiple (main, aux, posing, face) cameras in your scene for creating content, make sure they all match in focal length (35mm, 50mm, etc) otherwise you will have optical distortions between the different views.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 11:33 AM

He's not trying to measure something in Poser. He's doing a render where he needs an oversize height chart. Mugshot of Godzilla? Growth chart for the young Jolly Green Giant?

I fear Bagginsbill is correct. Over 10', you have to make your own. Start with the 10' chart at ShareCG, then use Photoshop or something to edit the numbers to read what you want. Stack them, if you need to show the whole body instead of just a mug shot.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 12:00 PM

So I'm making one that measures up to 36 feet tall ( which can cover up to a hypothetical 5E Storm Giant) can anyone agree on v4s height? I'm seeing different numbers everywhere. I need to establish what is a foot for OP or just in general lol. Note I'm sick with a cold, if there's no response it ain't happening...

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 12:04 PM

The idea is each quad will measure a foot in the Y direction so I can properly uv map and create the image texture...

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 12:13 PM

Going by the one created by slosh at ShareCG v4 is just shy of 6', I'm going by his measurement tool to create mine. But I'm seeing conflicting opinions on the height here...

2021-06-08.png

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 12:19 PM

Pick a scale. Users can always scale it if they're using a different one.

I vote for 1 PNU=8', since that seems to be the one most people use, at least with human figures.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 12:29 PM

Ok. I'm going with slosh's scale with V4 just shy of 6'... you think that's reasonable randym77?

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 12:36 PM

EldritchCellar posted at 12:35PM Tue, 08 June 2021 - #4420884

Ok. I'm going with slosh's scale with V4 just shy of 6'... you think that's reasonable randym77?

That's my preferred scale, since DAZ, Hivewire, etc. use it.

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 2:04 PM ยท edited Tue, 08 June 2021 at 2:09 PM

Use her! We know she's fifty ๐Ÿ˜„

Attackofthe50ftwoman.jpg

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 4:08 PM

Meh. I work in Wings, using one of their native units to equal one inch. Importing to Poser, I scale to 1.115%, which works out perfectly for me.

I arrived at that by accident; scaling my Dalek models to the ones made by billy-home and Mechmaster. It seems to work, although there's a discrepancy between my stuff and Mask-Da's guitar models. Of course, you could always buy my amp model for a further explanation but that's probably spam posting so I won't say it. :D

My Store

My Gallery

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 4:24 PM ยท edited Tue, 08 June 2021 at 4:30 PM

Wings runs like crap nowadays, Blender leaves it in the dust. As much as I like Wings, it's very fast for box modeling and I like it's uv editor... just waaaaay too buggy now. It used to be my favorite modeler.

Anyway. I built this in wings lol... It's not perfect but I'm a little out of sorts today.

Wall60 prop

It's a little over 60' high, one sided geometry, it has a morph to stretch one side out on the X axis (although that causes a bit of a UV shading artifact. Nothing horrible.) It might look a bit strange when loaded if you have your preview texture dimensions at some low setting. Renders normally however. The texture map is 4096. There's a template in the textures folder also...

Render 2morph.pngRender 5angle.pngRender 3dem.pngRender 4front.png

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 4:41 PM

...one final note, each quad in the uv is 1 foot Y axis, or close enough for art. You can easily make your own texture this way. The one I put together is rather utilitarian or generic.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 4:43 PM

Oh yeah, that'll be 4 bucks ?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 6:36 PM

Hey, EC, I ain't tried Blender. Maybe I should give it a shot. I'm comfortable with Wings, though, and I haven't found any major headaches.

My Store

My Gallery

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 7:02 PM

You should really, the interface is a lot less confusing than it used to be. I'm still totally lost with many things but the community is so huge and there's so many tutorials and such good documentation that all that is just a matter of having not got around to it. I think the best way is to find one small task to do in blender, and once you get s grip on that the rest starts to open up. I'm actually using keyboard shortcuts now, something I hardly ever do. The thing is that Blender isn't strictly dependent on using shortcuts ALL the time now. Plus there's constantly new add ons that are really amazing...

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 7:05 PM

I wonder if OP is even going to notice I posted that freebie above. Oh well, the most tedious part was laying out all those numbers in photoshop.

Miss B ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 8:34 PM

randym77 posted at 8:33PM Tue, 08 June 2021 - #4420885

EldritchCellar posted at 12:35PM Tue, 08 June 2021 - #4420884

That's my preferred scale, since DAZ, Hivewire, etc. use it.

I just grabbed that today, as I've never had one, but I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 9:25 PM

Chocolate bar for scale... I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point.

Miss B ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 10:14 PM

TwiztidKidd posted at 10:12PM Tue, 08 June 2021 - #4420911

Chocolate bar for scale... I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point.

Hmmm, I wonder how many chocolate bars I'd need for an almost 6ft. character. Hmmm . . . . ~puts on thinking cap~

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2021 at 10:31 PM

EldritchCellar posted at 10:30PM Tue, 08 June 2021 - #4420904

I wonder if OP is even going to notice I posted that freebie above. Oh well, the most tedious part was laying out all those numbers in photoshop.

Kind of you to make it. The OP will probably be back eventually. Looks like he only checks in every few days.

lakes123 ( ) posted Wed, 09 June 2021 at 3:08 AM

EldritchCellar this is nice. Thanks.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Wed, 09 June 2021 at 3:59 AM

You're welcome :)

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 11 June 2021 at 9:57 AM

Looks like I'll be without Blender for now. It won't run on W7.

My Store

My Gallery

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Fri, 11 June 2021 at 11:33 AM ยท edited Fri, 11 June 2021 at 11:35 AM

SamTherapy posted at 10:55AM Fri, 11 June 2021 - #4421030

Ordinarily I'd say "well there's downloads for older versions" but I wouldn't recommend that AT ALL... trying to use versions prior to 2.8 (when Blender had a gigantic overhaul) is like putting a caveman in a space ship. Plus it wouldn't have all the features that make it so impressive now.

My only experience with windows as an owner is 10 pro as my latest computer is my first non Mac, really glad I switched to a windows machine just because there's so many cool utilities and such made by people that just don't make things for Macs.

Off topic, not that it matters, and maybe off on a tangent but here's a few things I just got for Blender that are pretty damn nice. The only one I paid for is Retopoflow but worth the money... considerably cheaper than 3D coat or Topogun for retopology. Like a hundred other cool addons the rest are free...

G Scatter

https://youtu.be/56J9ZjUEwKs

https://www.graswald3d.com/gscatter

Retopoflow

https://youtu.be/X8kQiccJetw

Beer NPR renderer for Blender

https://youtu.be/PpZkFWQojmY

https://blendernpr.org/beer/

Now if I just had more time...

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Fri, 11 June 2021 at 11:40 AM

...Guess I'm starting to sound like wolf359 now. Shrug.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Fri, 11 June 2021 at 3:50 PM

SamTherapy posted at 3:45PM Fri, 11 June 2021 - #4421030

Sam, I'm not a Blender user, but I'd like to be one some day. However I don't want to be an unpaid Windows 10 beta tester - tried it once, didn't like it - so this might be useful: WIndows 7 support for blender 2.93

Or there's always Linux. :D

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Fri, 11 June 2021 at 6:16 PM

EnglishBob posted at 6:10PM Fri, 11 June 2021 - #4421062

SamTherapy posted at 3:45PM Fri, 11 June 2021 - #4421030

Sam, I'm not a Blender user, but I'd like to be one some day. However I don't want to be an unpaid Windows 10 beta tester - tried it once, didn't like it - so this might be useful: WIndows 7 support for blender 2.93

Or there's always Linux. :D

Reposting EnglishBob's comment above so Sam doesn't miss it.

Since this thread is a sort of open discussion type thing now, I have a, maybe, odd question aimed at anybody. What do you think would be a better name for a La Femme "creature" morph set, La Femme Terribles or See You In Hell La Femme?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.