Forum: Poser 12

Subject: Free version of Poser a benefit to vendors?

davo opened this issue on Apr 21, 2021 ยท 98 posts

NikKelly posted Thu, 29 April 2021 at 2:11 PM

Yes, back in the distant past, I got freebie Poser_3 off a PC Mag's cover disk, fell in love, bought P_4. But, Poser is now such a complex beast that I'd hesitate to suggest what a free version should include, dare not exclude...

Sadly, what I'd leave out would only be stuff I do not yet use, but hope to learn...

Slightly tangential, I keep pleading for Poser's FBX figure import system to be fixed. Currently, too many rigged models appear as a mob of hierarchy-swamping sub-rigs or simply 'go splat'. Very few figures import 'correctly' correctly, so poseable beyond minimal. Beyond rare, almost honorary exceptions, only 'Maya Rigged' models seem reliable. Perhaps because they've licensed the Autodesk SDK, while the others are merely open-source, reverse engineered ??

And what of free 'Make Human' FBX figures ? Reliable Poser import of those would flabbergast DAZ, especially if Poser's clothing tool could dynamically clad them...

Is there a non-migraine-inducing rig editor that could sanitise a generic 'columnar' FBX to a proper 'cascading' hierarchy ??

IMHO, extending Poser import to eg PMX and XPS would open up a zoo of free and budget characters & accessories...

Also, Poser should publicise the little-known render queue, which allow brisk, CPU-only network rendering of scenes far beyond the capacity of even high-end GPU cards. A relevant forum would help ?

I do have DS and I do buy DAZ items, preferably heavily discounted. Most are very nice props, which I 'rip' or otherwise export to a portable format such as OBJ+MTL which I may edit. And I collect budget DS figures against the hope that I may export as Poser-compatible FBX or as OBJ etc to re-rig for Poser...

As you've probably gathered, my watching for aerial porcines is a lonnnng game...