Forum: Poser 12

Subject: Linux support?

Joe@HFG opened this issue on Nov 03, 2020 ยท 23 posts

blackbonner posted Fri, 20 November 2020 at 5:28 AM

@adp001 I have to update my statement quite a bit. The Poser Pro 2014 runs absolutly fine under Manjaro and Wine. All you need is install Wine and WineTricks which is a tool/graphic backend to have access to the parameters and setting in Wine. After the installation of PP2014, the Adobe Flash is missing, what means, the library is not working. But if you wait for a brief moment, the Adobe Air dialog pops up and ask if you want to update the software. Say yes and as soon as this is done, you good to go. There is after all the issue i mentioned before with the file browser of Wine. He did not show Thumbnails, only file names.

Poser Pro 11 needs NET Framework 4.0 or above, Vulcan Runtime and the MS C++ Runtime Library installed from WineTricks to run. If you start PP11, you get three errors dialogs, all are related to features in Poser that surrounds the Library and Internet connetions. One calles for a missing Vulcan Runtime, the other two are stating that the cefclient.exe is not working. After the installation of the Vulcan Runtime, PP11 starts and there are two errors left, but they are not effecting the usabillty of the software. The issue with the Wine File Explorer remains like in PP2014. I tryed to install a different file explorer from a later version of Windows, but i could not get wine to recognize the installed alternative browser. I digged myself deep into the registry and altered some entrys but without any positiv outcome.

Poser 12 started without any complains, works pretty fine, renders and loads librarys...one time! If you close the programm, it refuses to start with an error message the states the the C++Runtime Library is not working. I installed the latest versions of C++ directly from the MS webside, tweaked some file dependencis inside the registry but the error message keeps coming. At this point i decided to put the testing on hold, because i lack the necessary knowledge to come to terms with this. Sadly the support from the Wine guys and the Manjaro community is not that great, but it may be the case, that Poser is a bit to exotic, so there is not much responds. For Photoshop, you can find all sorts of tutorials to make the thing fly under eatch major distrobution, its just a popular software.

At least the testing was fun and i learned a lot about Linux and Windows. But i want to check out the new features and create some projects in P12, so i will put this aside for a while. What i really hope for is a native Linux Poser Version, because the advantages of the Linux file system are indisputable. It handles big chunks of data with ease and its light weight on the CPU and Memory. To copy my main Runtime for Poser from an external HDD via USB 2 Port to an internal SSD took 25 minutes for 80 GB of data under Linux ex4 file system. I did the same task yesterday evening with a brandnew Win 10 installation under NTFS and it took about 2 hours to get the job done. If you think of the possible cut on render time and the abillity to put more geometry into your scenes without getting a glitching viewport, that would be amazing. But thats not the way it is right now. One final word of warning, if you try to test this, the activation of the software remains, even after a clean deinstallation. I first tested Poser in Linux Ubuntu (same results btw) and switched to Manjaro, because it is a rolling release Distro, what means you always have the latest and best versions of the software at your disposal. This installations added up with my first install of Poser under Win 10 before i started the testing and now, back on Windows, Poser refuse to load, because the Server at Bondware looks at the three installations as they were done on three differend computers. The deinstallation did not get noticed and the Activation remains its status. I hope this little exeperimentation helps someone who is brighter then me as a starting point to bring our beloved Software to the Linux Platform. Have fun and be creativ.