Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser Apple future Mac OS compatibility

DalekSupreme opened this issue on Aug 02, 2019 ยท 55 posts

ssgbryan posted Tue, 04 February 2020 at 1:00 AM

EClark1894 posted at 11:39PM Mon, 03 February 2020 - #4378826

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 4:24PM Mon, 03 February 2020 - #4378825

I've never liked Apple. But a lot of it has to do with the fact that the cheapest Apple computers here are the price of a good, brand-new car, and the most expensive Apple computers here are the price of an actual, good house with three bedrooms and a backyard in a good neighborhood.

I remember when I was back in college, I used to joke that I could buy a used car for the price of a new Mac Classic. But a new car? Damn, girl, where do you live?

The 1st 5 generations of Mac Pros were price competitive with their Windows brethren. The trashcan, not so much, and then there is the 7,1.

A fully maxed out Mac Pro 7,1 is over 53,000USD. It is aimed at places like Industrial Light and Magic. Not the folks that kept the lights on during the 1990's.

That gets you 28 cores @2.5Ghz, 1,5Tb of Ram (the CPU can address 2Tb, but OSX can't, apparently), a Vega Duo (obsolete), Afterburner card (since AVX-512 has an additional 2.5Ghz offset), and a 2Tb of nand flash memory (that can't be replaced, because the controller hardware is on the motherboard as well as it being tied to the T2 chip). Another feature that was never requested by anyone. It has missed the boat on PCIe 4.0 (meaning that the I/O is 40% slower than a Ryzen 3rd gen system.

And a $8,000 Rome based Eypc system will outperform it.