Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Does Rendo's Poser 11.2 Allow working offline?

consumer573 opened this issue on Oct 11, 2019 ยท 139 posts

consumer573 posted Thu, 17 October 2019 at 9:17 AM

I'm hopeful, but also disappointed. The kill switch has been a real hassle under Smith Micro. I really thought Rendo would get rid of it. I can still run my older versions of Poser, those that are the pre-Smith Micro debacle.

I don't see what purpose a kill switch serves in a community like this, especially when competing against DAZ which is free. I'm not completely sorry I updated to Game Developer from Poser Pro 2014, but logging on to see the sudden planned death message unless I contort to keep it alive has been a large negative. I paid almost $200 ($189?) to buy 11.1 as an early adopter and I refuse to load it.

I think I would want a permanent lease on the machine before I upgrade to 11.2. I generally have not gone back to load old software on new machines, unless the old software had some features that were discontinued in newer versions, so the permanent lease on the machine would probably be an acceptable compromise.

The only way I would accept a kill switch is (a) if there were no other software alternative and I needed it professionally [think adobe] or if it were a "lease to buy", which means I couldn't afford to buy it outright, but once I did I'd be free of the kill switch from then on.

I'm thinking of switching to DAZ if my 'permanent license' on Game Developer becomes not so permanent.

For the moment my physical shipment of 11.1 will have to stay in its DVD case.