Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Renderosity Acquires Poser Software

jennblake opened this issue on Jun 20, 2019 ยท 654 posts

DaremoK3 posted Sat, 22 June 2019 at 3:18 AM

@ Afrodite-Ohki :

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Poser's Cloth Room regarding anupaum's request.

First, I believe the possible desire is for interactive cloth simulation which is available in Marvelous Designer (and VWD for Poser), but that is only a guess due to them only referencing MD's simulation functionality.

Where I disagree is your analogy of Poser cloth with sculpting for ZBrush in C4D.

I was compiling a treatise on Poser Cloth Room (shut down by SM's dismissal of my inquiries), and was in talks with a well know Poser Cloth Room expert with his own site who studied as much as I did regarding this subject, but we ended in odds regarding a fundamental fact of origins which can only be cleared up by the software originator (Size8 - now defunct), or possibly the licensee (SM - at the time).

I have written about this in length in the past, so I won't go into all the details again, but to sum-up: Poser's Cloth Room module is one half of the original 2 module cloth system named 'Stich' (for 3DSMax) which comprised of a cloth making module and a cloth simulation module. Size8 split up the modules, and licensed the cloth simulator to Poser (Poser 5 -- if memory serves, I believe under Curious Labs at the time).

It is now fully integrated into 3DSMax (possibly sold outright), and was renamed to 'ClothFX'. For a few years, one could still purchase it individually from Turbosquid under Size8, but that disappeared years ago (hence, the belief Size8 software is no more).

I am not privy to the licensing deal Poser had with Size8, nor the longevity of it, but it seems to be for a permanent lifetime usage/inclusion.

My hope, and what I have been waiting for for years, is for Poser to license the other half of the system, the cloth maker module, which would give us the full Marvelous Designer implementation just as we have with 3DSMax (if they upgrade to the current simulation module as well, which has the interactive drape functionality). I highly doubt it, and don't believe it might be possible if AutoDesk truly owns the full modules. If they were licensing as well, how did they get interactive simulation, and Poser did not get the update? I believe AD coded it themselves inhouse...

This is what prevented me from purchasing PP11, and will prevent me from purchasing PP12 when it comes out if not included as well. I already have several dissappointing versions up to PP2014, and own 1st generation Marvelous Designer 2, and VWD for Poser and DAZ Studio, as well as coding a MD clone with Blender, so I have my needs pretty much covered -- but, it would still be nice, and for others who wish it as well, if it came to pass.

Side Note : Congratulations Rendo, for the acquisition. I believe it is in good hands -- any plans to pull Larry out of retirement again? And, I don't know all the details of what happened with the original PP12 team change, but I would like to put in a vote to get Nerd back on board as managing director again...