Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: Retopology Tools

kenmo opened this issue on Jun 07, 2017 ยท 67 posts

LuxXeon posted Fri, 09 June 2017 at 2:43 PM

SinnerSaint posted at 2:26PM Fri, 09 June 2017 - #4307082

Modo has automatic rettopology since version 10. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IPmzasXj2A

That's the 10.2 update, but interesting nontheless. Their solution actually seems comparable to Instant Meshes, and may actually be using the same fields alignment routines as a basis for the tool. In fact, I'm sure all of the automatic retopology processes out there are based on relatively similar processes, with the exception of 3DCoat's old quad output algorithm, which they have since made obsolete in their later AutoTopo feature.

Just for fun, I decided to run a test of my own in Zbrush using the ZRemesher algorithm. Note that there are actually two distinct algorithms for ZRemesher, the second of which can be accessed simply by holding down the ALT button on the keyboard when you click the UI button to engage the tool. This test simply uses the standard automatic retopology method. The only changes I made from the default values was that I set the Target Polygons Count from the default 5 value, down to 2. All other settings in the tool remained at the default.

Here is a screencap of the ORIGINAL geometry exported from 3dCoat to Zbrush from the Voxel sculpt. No, the object is not black, it's actually the red clay material which is default in Zbrush, but the polygon count is so high the polyframe view (wireframe edges) make the object appear solid black. There are over 4 million triangles in this object.

6-9-2017-icosahedra01.jpg

And here is the object after automatic retopology in ZRemesher. It now contains only 27,000 quad polygons. That's a reduction of around 675%. The process took about 12 minutes on my i7-7700HQ CPU running at 2.8GHz.

6-9-2017-icosahedra02.jpg

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations
Instagram: @luxxeon3d
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/luxxeon