Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Daz Studio 4.9 Big Changes Incoming!!

ghosty12 opened this issue on Oct 28, 2015 ยท 502 posts

Male_M3dia posted Sun, 21 February 2016 at 8:12 PM

IceEmpress posted at 9:03PM Sun, 21 February 2016 - #4256615

The EULA specifically says what you can and can not do with the license. If you do not agree, then you can not use it. The EULAs have been in place for years and have been one user licenses.. so you could have it on multiple machines (like a home machine and a laptop), but only you are entitled to use it.. not family or friends.

TF that's ridiculous! And it seems that my dad and I have been violating this rule for years since we play the same games on a PC. And what in the world are schools and non-profits supposed to do? Get an indie license from DAZ or a commercial license from Rendo?! They are not businesses, they are NPOs! Wow, I had no idea that so many businesses do not support schools or higher education...

In the case of schools and nonprofits, they have worked out deals with companies for educational pricing. They simply don't buy something once and install it on mulitple machines as that is illegal. Corporations can work out multiple licenses directly with the software company as well. But the key is they've read the EULA and understand what they are buying; if if they need something different, they would see if they can get a different licence... not just do whatever they please once they buy something. Not only would the organization be in hot water legally, but the people involved would get fired at the very least.

And you actually support this?!

I understand exactly what my rights with any software licence I purchase regardless of the company: Adobe, Marvelous, Pixologic, Luxology and DAZ. You can't pass those programs around either legally because they have that stated in their EULAs as well. If you want your family to use a program or content, you have to buy for each or purchase a licence that covers multiple users. When you buy a product you agree to that licence.

EDIT: Keep in mind that for programs like Microsoft Office they may have a per machine licence, so that people can use programs like Word on one machine. But that does not mean that you can buy one copy of Microsoft Word and install it on your childrens' computers (unless you bought a family license)... that would be a violation as well.