Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Daz Studio 4.9 Big Changes Incoming!!

ghosty12 opened this issue on Oct 28, 2015 ยท 502 posts

Male_M3dia posted Sat, 20 February 2016 at 11:26 PM

gate posted at 12:13AM Sun, 21 February 2016 - #4256379

how I read your statements it means you have been Pirated several times , and I guess you do agree to the Encryption project from DAZ ? and does it include that you are certain that it will not happen after the changes? I do not see your opinion about the incoming changes! is it good , is it Bad will you gain more or Less ? you as a experienced Vendor should be able to answer me these questions from your point of View. would be more constructive saying ! hey the Idea from Daz is great and I beleive that it will protect me and Increase my sales.

As far as as encryption goes, it probably bears a story that needs to be shared.

Previously, I would get PMs from users saying that one of my items was shared. I would get the copy the link to the site and create a DCMA takedown notice to remove the link. The site owner would see it and the link, and the file would be removed. Currently, I would see a file link, send it to DAZ and get a response basically shrugging their shoulders that nothing could be done to remove the line. Other vendors would basically stop looking at these PMs as nothing could be done to remove links and they basically would have to live with items being pirated as nothing could be done to remove it.

The issue then becomes, do you just sit and not do anything to remove the links? Or do you try to do something to slow down the piracy?

And that's really where the encryption comes in. It doesn't totally stop piracy, but it is an attempt to slow down the piracy of files. It doesn't increase sales, but it does mitigate the rate at which items are shared.

So far I've seen that people in the forums basically want to just want DAZ and vendors to do absolutely nothing in regards to slowing down piracy of items. Realistically, that doesn't make sense. The issue becomes do we try to make a compromise to slow down piracy without totally interfering with a customer's workflows or not doing a single thing.

That's really were we are now. Something really needs to be done about items being made but are pirated within hours of being released. The tech may not be foolproof, but something needs to be done so that there isn't a total loss on items added to the store.