Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: New competition figure Sneak previews - SM

Razor42 opened this issue on Nov 03, 2015 ยท 240 posts

DestinysGarden posted Wed, 11 November 2015 at 12:19 PM

Hi guys. I have to say that Bagginsbill almost has me convinced to try out the new version of Poser. It looks like new and different things are going to be happening in the materials department, and I'm interested. Dropping the Adobe Air for the library is a huge deal.

As far as Pauline goes, I actually sort of like her, except for the lips. What I do find worrying is they repeated statements that the new figures are meant to be resources, and since the tools to fix/complete/change the rigging etc., come included with Poser, they don't see a problem with letting "unfinished" figures out into the public. The major flaw with this thinking is that the professional artist on a deadline to get the book cover turned in, does not have the time to fix or create the content they need to use this very second. The professional content vendor does not have the time either. The artists who just wants to make pictures in the evening after they get home from the day job, does not have the time, or desire. These people are going to use the figures that already have the required add-ons, ready to go, that works out of the box. I'm not going to even go into the logistical nightmare of if a character maker thinks the figure should be rigged one way, and the clothing maker has a different idea. That really needs to be standardized, or things don't "work" and people get frustrated and move on.

The other really big problem is how many people that are still using Poser 7 are going to upgrade to Poser 11? I think most everyone who is using a version before 2010 that wanted to upgrade, would have already done it. If one wanted to support the new Poser tech, they are already facing a split market from the beginning. How many new users, the ones we all want to see join our community no matter which software they prefer, are going to have the desire to make their own content, or do their own rigging? How many of them are going to move onto more user friendly software, and how many are just going to give up completely? It is in everyone's interest to make the new user's introduction into 3D as smooth and painless as possible.

The entirety of the decision to market the new figures as base resources for the users to finish up as they like, is completely mystifying to me.