Forum: Blender

Subject: Blender 2.74 Released Today!

maxxxmodelz opened this issue on Mar 31, 2015 · 24 posts

RobynsVeil posted Wed, 01 April 2015 at 6:00 PM

Well, it is true Blender has been playing catch-up to other software. (Not just the one's mentioned.) More or less developers cherry-picking certain features and ideas mentioned by users and finding ways of implementing them. They may do the same kind of things as other software, but it doesn't mean they're implemented or coded in the same way.

But I have this feeling Blender wont be playing catch-up for long. It's a pretty solid and unique program in its own right. Which is likely a good thing for us users, but perhaps should have other software makers worried. Some things like retopo stuff being developed already looks better than what's available as a stand-alone or as part of some other software. (Albeit the plug-in for Blender that does it is being commercially developed.) ...

Just to let you know: there is a free flavour of a retopology tool developed by pitiwazou: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?355154-Addon-Retopo-MT

I'm a big supporter of Jonathan Williamson's work, so I went ahead and purchased RetopoFlow: got it for a discount because I'd purchased Contours back in the day. I feel that supporting the Blender community like this ensures that Blender itself will prosper. We're not just a bunch of freeloaders that want everything at no cost, which is why Blender Foundation gets a small amount from me from time to time as well. I'm huge on free software, but people gotta eat, hey? so supporting plugin developers and content creators - if one can - is really important. Nice thing about this and other free software: there is no obligation. We do it because we believe in it, believe in the community and believe in free, open-source software in general.

I have a git account, so I can download and build the latest flavour, but it's great that we're not limited to that approach. I also download the official builds for use in Windows and on my other laptop (the el-cheapo one that goes with me to work - it's my sanity-break when things in post-op recovery go to custard, as they do from time to time) ... it's this flexibility that makes this programme such an amazing one. And as far as a feature existing in it that exists in other software: hey, why not? doesn't mean they pinched the code. They were able to arrive at the same functionality using their ingenuity and development skill! that's a good thing, and we can be grateful we have developers of that calibre in our community. I see the same thing in LibreOffice, in Linux Mint, in all sorts of products I use: an idea, a process, a means to accomplish something should ALWAYS be free. Development of software to accomplish this can be - if the developer sees fit to do so - or not, depending if you're of a "proprietary software is critical to civilization" mindset. I'm not - I've always found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Letter_to_Hobbyists 

one of the most reprehensible acts in the software community world, ever, but others may see it differently. Thank goodness not everyone agrees with that mindset, or we wouldn't have our wonderful Blender to enjoy.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks