Forum: Blender

Subject: Blender 2.74 Released Today!

maxxxmodelz opened this issue on Mar 31, 2015 ยท 24 posts

pauljs75 posted Wed, 01 April 2015 at 4:30 AM

Well, it is true Blender has been playing catch-up to other software. (Not just the one's mentioned.) More or less developers cherry-picking certain features and ideas mentioned by users and finding ways of implementing them. They may do the same kind of things as other software, but it doesn't mean they're implemented or coded in the same way.

But I have this feeling Blender wont be playing catch-up for long. It's a pretty solid and unique program in it's own right. Which is likely a good thing for us users, but perhaps should have other software makers worried. Some things like retopo stuff being developed already looks better than what's available as a stand-alone or as part of some other software. (Albeit the plug-in for Blender that does it is being commercially developed.) There are also other things relating to animation where once the kinks are worked out should make this FOSS more than competitive.

Since free sets the baseline, some of those companies that we're familiar with in CG will be hitting that "limbo-bar" in terms of development cost vs. what they can do with thier software. I wonder if some of the companies more focused on content will eventually turn to developing plug-ins rather than trying to maintain their own particular in-house rendering software.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.