Forum: Blender

Subject: 3dsmax user with some questions. Learning Blender.

maxxxmodelz opened this issue on Jan 31, 2015 · 56 posts

maxxxmodelz posted Tue, 03 February 2015 at 5:01 PM

Here's a quick example of where I am finding the most difficulty adjusting my modelling workflow to Blender, due to the apparent difference in the way Bevelling works here.  This is one reason 3dsmax uses two different kinds of operations for "bevelling" edges, and faces.

Let's say I'm hard surface modelling an object using extrusion techniques from a simple primitive.  Very fast, easy techniques I would think.  In 3dsmax, I would use the Bevel Face tool to make some extrusions from a selected face or two, then, if I desire, scale that face smaller or larger all within the same motion, with just a mouse click.  When I'm done, I just click again off the object, or select a new face with the tool still enabled, and keep going.  Simple and fast, without even the need to touch the keyboard.

In Blender, I use the Extrude Region tool to make my extrusions on a selected face or faces, which I find very fluid and fast.  Even moreso than 3dsmax.  However, to create the "face bevel", or scale that same polygon or group of polygons, I need to enable the S scale tool (an extra hotkey click over my previous 3dsmax workflow, but not a big deal).  I can handle that.  UNTIL....

I come across a situation where I want to bevel (extrude) the faces on opposite sides of a non-symmetrical model.  In this case, I need to use the Extrude Individual tool in Blender, right?  BUT... now when I go to scale those opposing faces, the S hotkey is no longer working right, and instead of scaling locally, it's scaling them inwards or pushing them OUT (using the Global coordinates).  See attached image.

file_140f6969d5213fd0ece03148e62e461e.jpPreviously, in the 3dsmax workflow, this was not an issue.  The Bevel Face tool could be set to work from "local normal", and I just continued on without needing the keyboard to enable any hotkeys, or change coordinates.  It did the job as expected.  However, now it seems I may need to change coordinates to "local"?  Ok, I tried that, but even that didn't work.  I changed to local coordinates in the scene and in the bevel tool itself, and still the S hotkey is not scaling the two selected faces correctly.  At the very least, this is going to be a big time hog, if it's even a problem that can be fixed without selecting each face one at a time?  If someone can resolve this issue where my workflow is at least just down to ONE hotkey click, that will make me semi-happy. LOL.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.