Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 8 - How do I lay a floor?

Michaelab opened this issue on May 16, 2011 ยท 135 posts

bagginsbill posted Thu, 26 May 2011 at 4:50 PM

Nope.

Look at this render. I set up two small sections of tile, showing only a slice of the tiles. This reveals the shape as a cross section.

The top is the natural shape you get by using softness = 1 alone.

The bottom is what you get after running it through a Gain node. The number was .36, whereas I earlier suggested .32. Earlier I had just eyeballed it vaguely but I was more careful this time and concluded that Gain of .36 is close to perfect to cancel out the funny shape.

Now you may think this isn't such a great shape either, but I can work with this because it is a linear ramp, f(x) = x, going from 0 to 1. I like linear inputs and I like 0 to 1. I have a very large collection of math functions that manipulate ramps of this form. Any other sort of ramp makes it harder to figure out what to do. But f(x) = x, x = [0, 1] is awesome.

Starting from this I can show you many interesting things.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)