Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Dynamic cloth - the cloth room For Compleat Dummies

RobynsVeil opened this issue on Dec 03, 2010 · 409 posts

basicwiz posted Sat, 04 December 2010 at 12:43 AM

The basic idea with dynamic clothing is difficult ONLY because it has so many steps as compared with conforming clothing. Once I had used a tutorial to step me through it once or twice, it made perfect sense and I was off to the races.

One of the problems is quality of the conforming items. A great deal of what is out there is freebees, and a fair percentage of them are VERY poorly done. Let's face it... a dynamic piece should not fall apart when you run the simulation, nor should it fall off of the character. That is not to say they are all sub-par. LaurieA's in particular are Gold, as are Trekkiegirrls.

The main reason that I have failures with properly grouped pieces is forgetting to have them collide with everything that they are supposed to collide with. Yes, it's a pain to set. Yes, there needs to be an easier way to do it. What we need is a person with the coding skills/intuitive uderstanding of a Bagginsbill, except with THIS area of expertise to bring some order to the cloth room like BB did the Material room.

in the meantime...

The real problem is getting all of those groups selected and working together. I'm getting better at correcting the designers' errors, but they are still often there. If someone is going to start in the cloth room, it is imperative that they get quality clothing... get one of Grappo's sets, for instance, so that you know that any problems you have are you, and not the person who designed the garment. No way should they begin by trying the nightmare that is converting a conforming piece to dynamic. Yes, it can be done, once you understand what you are doing, but it's no way to try to learn.

I've had great luck with dynamic clothing, and I'm one of the sub-par idiots for whom Gamma Correction is a total waste of time and trouble. That ought to tell you something about how hard it's not.