Forum: Vue

Subject: SIGGRAPH 2010

alexcoppo opened this issue on Jul 25, 2010 · 33 posts

Daniel1705 posted Fri, 30 July 2010 at 5:15 PM

I am converting the taped presentations right now. Since I want to upload them in Full HD for best viewing quality it will take my poor Notebook the whole day to finish converting. So expect to see the videos on Youtube tomorrow.

Siggraph was well worth the visit. First and foremost I want to say that the e-on staff is really nice and friendly. I had the pleasure to meet Dax Pandhi, Vladimir Chopine and Amy Chopine and they are all incredibly nice people. Really heartwarming and so talented :-). Nicolas Pellegrino was there, as well. It's nice to connect the voice of the asilefx tutorials to a face ;-). I also ran into Dave Burdick and when I read his name on the badge I was like "Wow. It's great to meet the amazing python guy who made SkinVue." He was sort of surprised and probably a little scared of that crazy young guy that he didn't know ;-). Anyway, I had a nice chat with all of them and it was great to get to know the people behind the software.

The showreel was very similar to the one from 2009. On the demo PCs there was a screensaver that showed a lot of C3D portfolio artwork. I recognized images from kenwas, Arthur, Lars, Gary Miller, offrench, Dax Pandhi, Geek at Play, Gill Brooks, me and many more.

On to the new products. First up: Carbon Scatter

Not much to say about this one, it's identical to the Material Editor's interface when you are editing an Ecosystem material. If you don't want to purchase XStream, but you do want to use Ecosystems, then Carbon Scatter is the app to purchase. Eco Painting, all the usual standard Ecosystem controls, it's all there in an absolute identical interface to Vue's material editor. Don't know about Dynamic Population, though. The demonstration was done in 3DS Max No info on pricing or availability.

LumenRT: I wasn't impressed at all with that one, the promo image in the press release is a bit deceiving. To me it looked like a simple game engine from the 2000s where the radiosity lighting and reflections where baked on low-res textures. Plants are 2D sprites, the sky is a usual skybox.  However, I am lacking the technical knowledge, so I am not the one to judge. Since they didn't show how to create your own LumenRT environment I don't know what to really expect from this one. If you want to show your client the 3D environement, all you need to do is send him the compiled executable file of your LumenRT scene. He doesn't need a special plugin or an extra viewer, it's just a normal executable. That's a good feature. Again, no idea about price or launch date.

Now for the interesting part, Vue 9. Unfortunately I appeared to be the only one in the audience who had used Vue before, so the demonstrations were merely showcasing to all the others how Vue works in general, what Ecosystems are etc.

Here's a list of a couple of new or changed things that I noticed nonetheless:

When I talked to one programmer I told him that I was very disappointed with the stability of Vue 8 and that 7 worked way better on my PC. I also said that I am not going to upgrade unless I read about truely improved stability in Vue 9. He agreed that stability is their biggest issue and that they are trying really hard to make Vue 9 way more stable and better performing than previous versions. That's also the reason why they didn't introduce a whole lot of new features this time around which is a good thing in my opinion. Another guy told me that e-on is indeed looking into a solution for creating waterfalls, but that might still take a couple of years until they are ready to implement it into a future version. For future versions I suggested to provide an option that enabled the user to drive the Detail amount slider for clouds with a custom function. He said that this is a very interesting idea that they haven't thought of and it shouldn't be too hard to implement. When I told him about Terragen 2 and its displacement possibilities he grinned insecurly and told me to screw that software ;-). At least he promised that displacement in Vue 9 isn't as memory hungry anymore as in 8 and virtually artefact free. I'd be glad if this was the case, but I'll take this statement with a grain of salt until I've seen prove for it.

Overall Vue 9 might finally be what we've all been waiting for. Although it was still in beta the software didn't crash during any of the presentations that I saw which is a good sign. If you're looking for a bunch of new features Vue 9 isn't probably worth an upgrade at all, at least as far as I have seen so far. But if e-on makes a very stable version for the first time then it's probably worth the money.