Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Artistic "Lens"

bagginsbill opened this issue on Oct 29, 2008 ยท 247 posts

bagginsbill posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 4:09 PM

Here's a quickie demo. Click for full size.

Each row uses a different color space correction scheme.

Top row is linear - no correction.
Middle row is GC(2.2).
Bottom is sRGB, in shaders, built today after I studied the sRGB specification very closely.

The first column is with 128% infinite light in front and a 64% infinite light in back. These lights are rotated 20 degrees around y, and the back one is 20 degrees up in x.

As you go left to right, each column has half the light of the previous column.

So they are 128%, 64%, 32%, 16%, 8%, 4%, 2%, 1%, .5%.

The top row drops off to essentially black way too fast. That's why we want some color space conversion.

For months I've promoted GC(2.2) as the solution. That's the middle row. But look at the last few columns. They're too bright! And also, the second and third are slightly too dark, believe it or not.

The third row is new - you've never seen this before because I've never built it before, and probably nobody else would ever put all the nodes together that are required. Look at the last column - almost black - I think that's how it is supposed to be.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)