Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Artistic "Lens"

bagginsbill opened this issue on Oct 29, 2008 · 247 posts

bagginsbill posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 4:01 PM

Hi CD. I've been pondering your post for a few days.

With regard to the claim I made about "you don't ever need 100%" I meant "to get your figure lit indoors." Of course if you're doing a scene which is supposed to model the reality of a situation where the dominant light source is 10 times brighter than the ambient light, AND you're simulating a camera exposure value that is adjusted to the ambient light, then of course you'd have a light source that is way over 100%, as I did.

Meanwhile, I've been studying your issue about how hard it is to get dark with GC.

Guess what. I think you're right. I think Poser Pro is f'ed up, and the approach I took to mimic the Pro GC is also f'ed up.

Essentially, the point is this:

GC(2.2) does NOT equal sRGB. OH MY GOD.

It has taken me a few days to work out why and when this really matters. In a nutshell, when you're dealing with very dark things, GC(2.2) is too bright if you're going to display it on an sRGB monitor.

All the stuff I read about GC as the way to achieve accurate colors on a monitor is wrong, and I've been foolishly believing it instead of reading the specs and doing my own experiments.

I've now come to the conclusion that GC(2.2) and sRGB have a lot in common, and for most lighting situations they are enough the same that you can't really tell the difference. But in low light, you can tell the difference, and quite easily.

Kudos to you, you have a f'ing eagle eye. :) I didn't see it until I went looking for it, deeply.

I'll post more on this, soon.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)