Welcome to the Blender3D Forum

Coordinators: Lobo3433

Welcome to the Blender3D Forum!
Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Poser Tools for Blender 2.5

Author
Reddog9  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Jun 10, 2011 12:40 am, Edited Fri, Jun 10, 2011 12:41 am

I was asked by a private investor to update and improve my Poser tools for the latest version of Blender.  They're going to be made available for free to the Blender community as they're ready.

I wanted to encourage everyone to try them.

The goals are listed here:

http://www.blender3dclub.com/index.php?name=PT2

The blog documenting progress as well as where you can locate the most recent version of the scripts is located here:

http://blender3dclub.com/PT2blog/

I'm sure there's bugs to be found but at the moment, I do not have a location to collect bug reports.

Quote  Report Print Save

Pol  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Jun 10, 2011 3:53 am

Very interesting Reddog9, thanks.

Quote  Report Print Save

RobynsVeil  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Jun 10, 2011 4:35 am

Wow, amazing, Reddog9... good ON you!!

Do the red dots mean WIP? Behind you all the way on these objectives: how awesome will these tools be!

Mint 17/Win7 - Blender 2.71 - PoserPro 2014 (inches)/Matmatic - GIMP - Lightworks12
Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[we realise that people hold in contempt that which they do not understand] 

Quote  Report Print Save

ice-boy  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sat, Jun 11, 2011 7:09 am

this looks very interesting.

where could we use this?

Quote  Report Print Save

ice-boy  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Jun 14, 2011 3:57 am

where can we use poser tools for blender?

Quote  Report Print Save

PoalaVandel  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Wed, Jun 15, 2011 10:30 pm

Wow sounds like a plan I can agree with. I'd love to use Poser and Blender together.

Quote  Report Print Save

NanetteTredoux  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Mon, Jun 20, 2011 1:45 pm

Stunning. I am very glad you are working on this.

Poser Pro 2014, Windows 7 64 Bit.

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.7a, Vue 2014, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 9 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch, Marvelous Designer

Quote  Report Print Save

Reddog9  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Jun 24, 2011 11:28 am, Edited Fri, Jun 24, 2011 11:29 am

Attached Link: PT2 6/24/2011

I've posted the first collection of scripts that contains an exporter now.  It's working very well at the moment.  It needs more testing (that's were you come in) and I'll be looking at making improvements where possible.

Check out the latest news: PT2 Blog

Poser Tools 2

• Unzip in the Blender Addon folder.. then enable from the User Pref / Addon menu

• Prop Exporter shows up as a panel under object properties.

• Set Each output folder (Geometries/Textures/Props).  The script stores each folder and remembers them when you restart blender.

• Create an object - Save Prop.

• Create Multiple Objects, select multiple objects - Save Prop

• The active object name determines the Prop Name.

• Create / Assign materials to faces

• The only Material Setting stored at the moment is the Color Value

• Add Textures, set to image, load or create images.

• ALL Images must be packed - to be saved as the Prop Textures.  An error will generate if not (I'm researching how to do this automatically.. but have been unsucessful so far)

• Saves textures enabled and used for Color, Alpha, Normal and Mirror.

• Saves Last Render as Thumbnail image (You'll want to do it at 91 x 91 pixels)

The thumbnails work for Poser but not Daz Studio for some reason.. I'll be researching that further when I can.

I'm aware of something I left out of the current Prop importer.. I'll be going back and fixing that soon.  A section that imports multiple external .obj files. 

Try it out.  It's really nice to be able to create a prop with just one click.

Sample

It's still a work in progress.  Just wanted to get this out so people could try it before I went away for the weekend.

SAVE YOUR BLEND FILE BEFORE YOU EXPORT!

Occasionally, blender would clear images generated within Blender when you try to export, so save your blend file first.  Not sure if this still happens.

I haven't checked it on another machine yet, so bare with me if there's some technical issues.

Quote  Report Print Save

Reddog9  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sat, Jul 9, 2011 12:53 am

I posted an updated version that now works with Blender 2.58.  It's still a work in progress of course but the prop import and exporter are working very well at this time.

There's a new download location on the main page as well as some basic instructions as well.

Suzanne in Poser

Quote  Report Print Save

Reddog9  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Jul 15, 2011 11:39 am

Update Posted:

Smart Props

This update to the exporter now handles parented objects as well as rotation locking.

PT2

Quote  Report Print Save

Pol  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Jul 15, 2011 5:36 pm

Thanks a lot Reddog9, nice job.

Have a great weekend

Quote  Report Print Save

RobynsVeil  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Jul 15, 2011 9:12 pm

Wow. So I won't need to import items I want to articulate on a main figure (say, like a door in a wall) as a separate obj ... this is really good!! Thank you, redDog9.

Mint 17/Win7 - Blender 2.71 - PoserPro 2014 (inches)/Matmatic - GIMP - Lightworks12

Quote  Report Print Save

Reddog9  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Jul 15, 2011 9:44 pm

Quote - "Wow. So I won't need to import items I want to articulate on a main figure (say, like a door in a wall) as a separate obj ... this is really good!! Thank you, redDog9. "

That's correct.  That is the model I was using was a cabinet and 2 doors.. parented to the base in Blender, then locked the 2 axis in Blender that you don't want to show up in Poser / Daz. 

It's working very well at this time.  I'm looking at adding a couple small upgrades possibly before moving on to a Character Importer / Exporter.

Quote  Report Print Save

Reddog9  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sat, Jul 23, 2011 10:41 pm

Prop Exporter Sample Video.

Poser Tools for Blender Export Demo 1 from Scott on Vimeo.

Quote  Report Print Save

kobaltkween  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Jul 24, 2011 5:20 am, Edited Sun, Jul 24, 2011 5:21 am

i've tried this in three different versions of Blender (2.57 with Yafaray & Lux, 2.58 with Yafaray & Lux, and plain, out of the box 2.58).  none have worked for exporting with this plug-in (for me).  that is, there are absolutely no options for the exporting tools.  there's a heading Poser Tools, but nothing underneath it. i haven't tried importing yet.

i've tried following your instructions pretty exactly in an effort to make them appear, but nothing has worked so far.  the only discrepancy i can find is that you say to put the plugin under Blender > Scripts > Addons, and every version i have has Blender, then a folder with the version number, then Scripts > Addons.  but other than that, i'm stumped.  i just downloaded the most recent version an installed it just to make sure the problem persisted before asking about it. 

if you have any ideas about how to get this working, i'd be very interested.  this obviously works for you, and the way this doesn't work for me is so absolute that i'm sure there's a particular cause.   and i'm aware it might be very specific to my setup some how, because i haven't seen anyone else mention the problem.   i'm just totally in the dark about what the problem is.

Quote  Report Print Save

kobaltkween  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Jul 24, 2011 5:42 am, Edited Sun, Jul 24, 2011 5:44 am

oh, and i just tested import, which said there was an error on line 1252 of PPI9.py, that child_parent was referenced before assignment.

Quote  Report Print Save

Reddog9  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Jul 24, 2011 7:31 am, Edited Sun, Jul 24, 2011 7:32 am

Quote - "

i've tried this in three different versions of Blender (2.57 with Yafaray & Lux, 2.58 with Yafaray & Lux, and plain, out of the box 2.58).  none have worked for exporting with this plug-in (for me).  that is, there are absolutely no options for the exporting tools.  there's a heading Poser Tools, but nothing underneath it. i haven't tried importing yet.

"

The latest version only works with 2.58 since there was Python changes from 2.57 to 2.58.  I had to re-write parts of the script to make it  compatible with the latest version of Blender.

Quote - "

i've tried following your instructions pretty exactly in an effort to make them appear, but nothing has worked so far.  the only discrepancy i can find is that you say to put the plugin under Blender > Scripts > Addons, and every version i have has Blender, then a folder with the version number, then Scripts > Addons.  but other than that, i'm stumped.  i just downloaded the most recent version an installed it just to make sure the problem persisted before asking about it. 

"

Where ever your Blender Addons folder is should work. 

Quote - "

if you have any ideas about how to get this working, i'd be very interested.  this obviously works for you, and the way this doesn't work for me is so absolute that i'm sure there's a particular cause.   and i'm aware it might be very specific to my setup some how, because i haven't seen anyone else mention the problem.   i'm just totally in the dark about what the problem is.

"

I appreciate the bug report.  I just set up a dedicated email address to receive reports.  Unfortunately, I'm down to one computer so I'm unable to test it on several machines personaly at this time. 

If Poser Tools is visible from the Addons section of the User Preferences menus, then you are installing it to the correct location.  If you're able to check the box to enable the addon, that's a sign that the script is starting.

Once it's started, you should see this panel listed under the Properties for Objects:

If it's possible for you, please send a screen capture of the console window of Blender that shows the error at start up when the script is enabled.

As far as the Prop Importer, please direct me to the specific prop you are trying to import or if it is a free prop, send it my way if that's possible.  There are many different versions of poser props out there and even though the goal is for the script to be able to load 100% of them, it may not be realistic.

Email bugs to:

pt2bugs@blender3dclub.com

Thanks again for the feedback.

I'll try to help you get this working ASAP.

Quote  Report Print Save

barri_allen  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Jul 24, 2011 8:30 am

Works like a charm for me in 2.58.

Thank you very much for the good work and the detailed information. Very professional.

Quote  Report Print Save

Reddog9  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Jul 24, 2011 8:35 am

Quote - "

Works like a charm for me in 2.58.

Thank you very much for the good work and the detailed information. Very professional.

"

Thanks for the feedback.  Glad to hear it.

Quote  Report Print Save

kobaltkween  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Jul 24, 2011 11:23 am

i only tried 2.57 because it wasn't working at all in 2.58 (again, straight unaltered and add-on packed).  i turned it on just fine, got the Poser Prop Exporter section, but it's empty.  starting it from Terminal, i'm not seeing any errors for Poser Prop Exporter, though i am seeing two statements of it starting up.

"--- Starting Poser Prop Importer Version 9 ---

--- Starting Poser Prop Exporter Version 5 --" 

that's only the one i updated recently.  the one i installed not that long ago just said

"Start Time: 1311523850.675335
PPI.py"

as for the import, the first one i tried that had that simpler error was parts of the Cistern set by Orestes at DAZ.  but trying random other props, items in Ruins of Alecto (DAZ, PC) , Drinking Horns (DAZ, former freebie), and Satin Studio  2 (freebie that i thought was here, but has been replaced by version 3)  also don't work by have an error in the same file at line 1199,  which then refers to line 40 and adjust vert and says that it's not finding a key that seems to relate to the prop geometry (key "[insert name here]" not found).  the only one that worked for me so far was the RDNA Organics freebie props that are very old.  does it only work with props that have embedded geometries?

Quote  Report Print Save

Reddog9  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Jul 24, 2011 11:54 am

Quote - "

i only tried 2.57 because it wasn't working at all in 2.58 (again, straight unaltered and add-on packed).  i turned it on just fine, got the Poser Prop Exporter section, but it's empty.  starting it from Terminal, i'm not seeing any errors for Poser Prop Exporter, though i am seeing two statements of it starting up.

"

The last 2 or 3 updates won't work with Blender 2.57.  I'll look at the props you mentioned and test them. 

The script will handle props with internal or external mesh data.

Quote  Report Print Save

Reddog9  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Jul 24, 2011 1:52 pm

Just to be clear, I assumed this but I better make sure..  the script will not read a compressed prop file.. I believe they are .PZ2 file extensions.

Quote  Report Print Save

Reddog9  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Jul 24, 2011 2:33 pm

Just purchased the Ruins prop set to test for you. 

Packaged in the achive is the Poser Version of the props that you'll want to install inorder to use them with blender.

Right out of the box:

Front view:

The prop loads with textures.  The script doesn't utilize Translation data at this time, so after a few minor translation adjustments:

Blender Render:

Looks nice.

You may want to set up a dedicated Poser directory if it's not convienent to use poser versions with Daz inorder to use them with Blender as well.

Hope this helps.

Quote  Report Print Save

Reddog9  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Jul 24, 2011 6:14 pm

I just look at the Daz files and didn't notice any difference.  Still appears to use the same .pp2 file and syntax. 

Based on the error you mentioned.. it sounds like it's not finding the geometry for some reason.  It's trying to adjust verts of a mesh that it was not able to create / locate.

Quote  Report Print Save

kobaltkween  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Jul 24, 2011 8:16 pm

i don't use DS  at all.  i got this error from using Poser installations of various and unassociated props.  they are not compressed files.  the only commonality seems to be that they use external geometry.   checking one of my own props, it works on the early version that had the geometry embedded but not the final version with the geometry externalized.  i also noticed that it didn't give me the error that the RDNA Organics prop did, whch alerted me that it couldn't find associated textures.  i just figured that they didn't have textures (being old and pretty basic), but now i see that it doesn't say anything in that case. 

i figured that it couldn't locate the geometry, but i wasn't sure whether that was a built-in limitation or not.  knowing it's supposed to actually find external geometry, and that it can't find textures, makes me think the issue is paths and the question you haven't asked me yet: what OS i'm on.  i'm not on Windows, i'm on Ubuntu 11.04.  i went poking at the code when i first had problems with the exporter options showing up because i thought that path problems might be the reason.  i thought it might not be finding some sort of file.  i didn't find anything obvious, but i'm still guessing that might be the issue.  if you relied on Windows backslash syntax for paths, that might explain issues i'm having.  it might also mean there would be a problem on Mac or any other non-Windows OS.  but that's really just speculation.

Quote  Report Print Save

Reddog9  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Jul 24, 2011 9:44 pm, Edited Sun, Jul 24, 2011 9:45 pm

OK.  I'll make a note of this and look into it further.  I do have one other computer that runs Linux.  I'll look into this and try to come up with a solution for you.  I was playing with it a week ago looking to load Blender on it to work with, but I don't remember if there was a version of 2.58 available for Linux.  Blender's site is not loading right now for me to check.

I use to work with Linux and Blender quite a bit a few years ago and remember some issues like that.

For further reference, are you using Poser with Linux or are you just looking to be able to use Poser props with Blender?

Bare with me and I'll look in to it this coming week and get back to you.  Again, I appreciate the feed back and I'm working on making this available to everyone.

Quote  Report Print Save

Reddog9  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Mon, Jul 25, 2011 12:36 am

You're correct about the error with directory syntax.  I had a few minutes to look at it in Linux tonight.  I'll work on that over the next couple of days and get it going for you.

Quote  Report Print Save

RobynsVeil  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Mon, Jul 25, 2011 12:58 am

I'm impressed with this! Good ON you, Reddog9... I'm ashamed to admit I haven't actually tried your utility yet, but I will tonight (Win7, etc). And I do intend to use it in Ubuntu as well.

Quote  Report Print Save

kobaltkween  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Mon, Jul 25, 2011 2:22 am

oh, thanks!  both statements are true: i'm using Poser and Blender on Linux, and I would like to move to either doing half of my rendering from Blender or almost all.  especially once PyNodes return to the main trunk.  Matmatic is one of the big advantages to using Poser Blender always has a Linux version if there's a Windows version, though the converse isn't always true.  they tend to support the OS community first.  same is true for a lot of the OS renderers and Blender exporters. you can always count on the latest version of Blender being available for Linux distros. 

i'm sorry i couldn't find the problem on my own.  i looked some at the code, but just didn't know where to begin.  it's a prodigous program. 

Quote  Report Print Save

ice-boy  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Jul 26, 2011 10:41 am

now i understand what this script does. it not only imports the object but also adds all teh textures.

can we also import poser figures with textures?

Quote  Report Print Save

Unread Post(s) Unread Announcement You are a visitor.