Welcome to the 3DS MAX Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny

3DS MAX F.A.Q. (last updated 2003-04-17 00:00:00)

Welcome to the 3DS Max Forum!

Considering 3ds Max? Download the FREE 30-day trial here

Renderosity maintains a zero tolerance policy concerning the trading/use of illegal software.
Refer to the Terms Of Service for the lowdown concerning warez.

NEW! POSER/MAX FAQ This covers MANY of the issues involved when using Max in conjunction with Poser.
Take the time to look over this post before starting a thread in the forum.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Enjoy your stay and keep coming back!

Subject: Hair Farm and/or Hair Farm 2 Plugin for Max, anyone using this?

Author
William_the_Bloody  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sat, Jan 26, 2013 6:33 pm

Attached Link: Official Site

This potentially wonderful plugin *claims* to be able to take a strand based hair setup and turn it into polygon strips or a poly shell.

The sample pics of what is being done are pretty stunning, and the potential application for Market quality hair for Poser or Daz Studio is very high.

There is a downloadable demo, but unfortunately, the one thing you want to test is disabled.  Up to that point, it is very intuitive and hard even for bumbling noobs like me to get lost in the process.

Quote  Report Print Save

Tracybee  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Feb 1, 2013 12:32 am

Why not use the supplied modifier?

So easy to use, even for bumblers I would have thought?

It can give outstanding results and hair can be saved for Poser use as even a mesh if you wish !

And it's free with Max :)

Quote  Report Print Save

LuxXeon  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Feb 3, 2013 3:27 am, Edited Sun, Feb 3, 2013 3:30 am

Quote - "

It can give outstanding results and hair can be saved for Poser use as even a mesh if you wish !

"

Looks like there's a lot of features HairFarm offers that aren't possible with Hair/Fur modifier; modeling hair from a polymesh being the most interesting. They also claim to have perfect control over the strands, which is a huge headache if you've ever used the standard hair modifier in Max for complicated hair styles.  The stylling tools are very hard to manage.  I use the hair/fur modifier mostly for creating grass, which is very simple; fur is ok too, but when you try to style lengthy hair into certain complex styles, it becomes cumbersome.  I can definitely see the need for an enhanced plugin.  They also claim their hair can maintain it's style in animation, which is a known problem for the standard hair modifier.  Also, working with hair and GI, without turning the strands to mesh, or compositing, seems to be solved with Hairfarm.  Plus, it seems to be several orders faster upon rendering.

I personally will try it and see, but after working for several months with the hair/fur modifier, I can see a lot of room for improvement, which HairFarm seems to have solutions for.

My CgSociety Portfolio: Cg Society Portfolio
My DeviantArt Page: DeviantArt Page
My 3DArtist Online Page: 3DArtist Magazine
My Free Models: Turbosquid, ShareCG
Video Tutorials: www.youtube.com/luxxeon3d

Quote  Report Print Save

amileduan  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Feb 3, 2013 9:48 pm

Haven't used this before,but have on interest,what're its unique feathers?

render farm :Intel Xeon E5560 * 2, 16 cores with hyper-threading,Win7 64bit.

Quote  Report Print Save

William_the_Bloody  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Feb 3, 2013 10:52 pm

LuxXeon and of course The Link explain it best.

Quote  Report Print Save

Tracybee  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Mon, Feb 4, 2013 6:55 pm

Quote - "
Quote - "

"

Looks like there's a lot of features HairFarm offers that aren't possible with Hair/Fur modifier; modeling hair from a polymesh being the most interesting. They also claim to have perfect control over the strands, which is a huge headache if you've ever used the standard hair modifier in Max for complicated hair styles.  The stylling tools are very hard to manage.  I use the hair/fur modifier mostly for creating grass, which is very simple; fur is ok too, but when you try to style lengthy hair into certain complex styles, it becomes cumbersome.  I can definitely see the need for an enhanced plugin.  They also claim their hair can maintain it's style in animation, which is a known problem for the standard hair modifier.  Also, working with hair and GI, without turning the strands to mesh, or compositing, seems to be solved with Hairfarm.  Plus, it seems to be several orders faster upon rendering.

I personally will try it and see, but after working for several months with the hair/fur modifier, I can see a lot of room for improvement, which HairFarm seems to have solutions for.

"

How about some examples of what you've done with Max so we can see what you mean please.

You seem to be having such a lot of trouble.

Most folk just seem to like point and hope with Max and are always searching for something more "simple" when with a bit of work they find things are better.

Quote  Report Print Save

William_the_Bloody  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Mon, Feb 4, 2013 10:06 pm

Quote - "
Quote - "
Quote - "

"

"

How about some examples of what you've done with Max so we can see what you mean please.

Most folk just seem to like point and hope with Max and are always searching for something more "simple" when with a bit of work they find things are better.

"

Traceybee:

This thread is not about singing the praises of the Hair tools already available in Max. 

I want to know who is using this plugin and if it does what it claims.

I'm not interested in your opinion, since you obviously haven't.

If you don't have anything on topic to add to this inquiry, I invite you to move along.

Quote  Report Print Save

LuxXeon  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:43 am

Quote - "

"

There's examples in my gallery here, and also in the links in my sig.  There's specifically two images in my gallery where the grass in the scene was Max hair and fur.  I'm just saying there's plenty of room for improving the standard Hair and Fur modifier in Max.  The styling tools and using with GI, when rendering outside of Mental Ray, are just two issues.

Let's not hijack this thread, however. b:)

My CgSociety Portfolio: Cg Society Portfolio
My DeviantArt Page: DeviantArt Page
My 3DArtist Online Page: 3DArtist Magazine
My Free Models: Turbosquid, ShareCG
Video Tutorials: www.youtube.com/luxxeon3d

Quote  Report Print Save

Tracybee  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:33 pm

Hey william the bloody..

No need to be so rude.

It's folks like you that make this forum so desolate.

Try and be nice, old fella.

Quote  Report Print Save

William_the_Bloody  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Wed, Feb 6, 2013 7:32 am

I found you mildly insulting, Tracybee, like anyone who is interested in this plugin is stupid and/or ignorant, and we should all be as clever as you and use only stock 3dsmax tools because you've got them all figured out.

That's how you came off, and I would suggest that it is attitudes like that which prevent people from posting.

Quote  Report Print Save

Unread Post(s) Unread Announcement You are a visitor.