Welcome to the 3DS MAX Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny

3DS MAX F.A.Q. (last updated 2003-04-17 00:00:00)

Welcome to the 3DS Max Forum!

Considering 3ds Max? Download the FREE 30-day trial here

Renderosity maintains a zero tolerance policy concerning the trading/use of illegal software.
Refer to the Terms Of Service for the lowdown concerning warez.

NEW! POSER/MAX FAQ This covers MANY of the issues involved when using Max in conjunction with Poser.
Take the time to look over this post before starting a thread in the forum.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Enjoy your stay and keep coming back!

Subject: Spline Trouble

Author
Darchind  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Jan 11, 2013 8:43 pm

Suppose I have one rectangle that I want to join into a shape below it so that they become one geometry, but simply "fusing" the vertices doesn't seem to accomplish the task.

What I am trying to do, specifically, is create the geometric piece for what would be a bra strap. What am I doing wrong?

Quote  Report Print Save

LuxXeon  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Jan 11, 2013 10:55 pm

Fusing only aligns the vetices to the same coordinates.  You need to weld them.

My CgSociety Portfolio: Cg Society Portfolio
My DeviantArt Page: DeviantArt Page
My 3DArtist Online Page: 3DArtist Magazine
My Free Models: Turbosquid, ShareCG
Video Tutorials: www.youtube.com/luxxeon3d

Quote  Report Print Save

Darchind  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Jan 11, 2013 11:25 pm, Edited Fri, Jan 11, 2013 11:26 pm

Hmm, I tried using Refine to create two points on the lower line to weld the vertices of the upper rectangle, and now it says..."Boundary splines do not form a closed loop" when I apply the Garment Maker modifier.

Quote  Report Print Save

Darchind  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Jan 11, 2013 11:53 pm, Edited Fri, Jan 11, 2013 11:53 pm

I think I may have found the problem. I've circled it in pink, but I don't know how to get rid of it. There are two "green" vertices that stick out past where the cut is supposed to be.

Quote  Report Print Save

LuxXeon  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sat, Jan 12, 2013 7:51 am, Edited Sat, Jan 12, 2013 8:03 am

Quote - "I think I may have found the problem. I've circled it in pink, but I don't know how to get rid of it. There are two "green" vertices that stick out past where the cut is supposed to be."

Those aren't vertices.  They are tangents of the bezier vertices in red.  They act as "handles", to add curvature to the spline segments.

At this point, I would really suggest going back to basics here.  Start with perhaps a few tutorials on clothing creation in Max using polygonal modeling techniques; even tutorials from other modeling applications would translate pretty cleanly to most of the tools in Max.

PS:  If you are determined to continue with splines, then you can, if need be, change those points to corner points or smooth points by selecting them as you have done, then right click in the viewport, and in the quad menu that pops up, select either corner or smooth as vertice type.  It appears they are currently set to Bezier or Bezier corner.

When you are doing spline modeling, you need to be very mindful of vertice type, and numbering.  For something like this, you are going to need cross-sections so you can apply a SURFACE modifier, and vertice numbering order is essential for that.  This is why I'd personally prefer to model it with polygonal techniques.

Quote  Report Print Save

LuxXeon  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sat, Jan 12, 2013 11:04 am

Remember, if you are going to export this and distribute it for use in other apps, Garnment Maker uses delaunay triangulation to approximate the surface volume, and smoothing the result can give you bad Ngon topology.  This is fine if you plan to use it directly in Max with cloth simulation, but could result in a bad topology or very dense object meshing, if you need to export for use in other apps.

Quote  Report Print Save

Darchind  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sat, Jan 12, 2013 3:17 pm

I've decided to scrap spline modeling and just edit raw primitives. I also decided that I wouldn't rely much at all on modifiers, but rather I'd freeform-sculpt it and add quickslices when need be. I only applied the Turbosmooth modifier one time, and this is what I came up with along the way:

Quote  Report Print Save

LuxXeon  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sat, Jan 12, 2013 7:01 pm

Quote - "I've decided to scrap spline modeling and just edit raw primitives. I also decided that I wouldn't rely much at all on modifiers, but rather I'd freeform-sculpt it and add quickslices when need be. I only applied the Turbosmooth modifier one time, and this is what I came up with along the way:"

Much better, don't you think?  I think the surface looks ok in shaded view, and I'm sure the topology is far better than it would be with Garnment Maker.  GM is ok if you plan to keep the results in the Max pipeline, and want to run cloth simulations; otherwise, I think you took the smarter route by starting with a good quadrangular mesh, and going from there.  Did you add a shell modifier for thickness?

Quote  Report Print Save

Unread Post(s) Unread Announcement You are a visitor.