Welcome to the Blender3D Forum

Coordinators: Lobo3433

Welcome to the Blender3D Forum!
Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Making a face morph for genesis

Author
SickleYield  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Wed, Feb 8, 2012 1:46 pm

Excellent, thank you. :)

Quote  Report Print Save

bruce32466  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Feb 10, 2012 8:16 pm

OK, Finally got some time to play again and thanks for the help earlier. I was able to create the needed shape keys for additional morphs but exporting seems to be tricky(at least for me). If I export as .dsf to the morph directory, I have to select each shape key and export them separately in order to see the three of them.

In Daz Studio4 pro, I created a caracter and applied the first morph and saved the seen. Then after going back to Blender and creating the other two additional morphs and exporting those, I was able to see the all three morphs in a new seen. when I opened the saved seen, only the first morph was avalible in the menu.

Two questions:

1) When making more than one shape key, what is the proper methode to export them to daz? Please keep in mind I do need a little detail as iq is somewhat low:)

2) Is there a way to refresh the menu in parameters instead of restarting Daz Studio.

btw, the tutorial here was very helpfull, so thanks.

Quote  Report Print Save

amy_aimei  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sat, Feb 11, 2012 6:55 am

Quote - "Prepare the morph

After you have successfully loaded the Genesis loaded you can scale it down a bit, since it is very huge (around 100 blender units). Scale it down in object mode, not in edit mode, so the actual mesh will not be distorted. You can also rotate it in object mode if you want, because it is lying flat (DAZ-Studio uses Y-axis as up).
In the mesh tab create a new shape key for the Genesis mesh. Press the Plus-sign twice to create one base shape key and another shape key for the morph. The first shape key is the Base shape-key and not to be modified. The second one created is the one that holds the morph, which is currently empty.

"

Thank you for the plugin.  As I know, DAZ Studio uses Metre or Centimetre as the unit of measure and as you pointed out it uses Y-axis as up.  Is it possible to perform the scaling and rotation within the code?

Quote  Report Print Save

bruce32466  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Feb 12, 2012 9:29 pm

Bump!

Quote - "

OK, Finally got some time to play again and thanks for the help earlier. I was able to create the needed shape keys for additional morphs but exporting seems to be tricky(at least for me). If I export as .dsf to the morph directory, I have to select each shape key and export them separately in order to see the three of them.

In Daz Studio4 pro, I created a caracter and applied the first morph and saved the seen. Then after going back to Blender and creating the other two additional morphs and exporting those, I was able to see the all three morphs in a new seen. when I opened the saved seen, only the first morph was avalible in the menu.

Two questions:

1) When making more than one shape key, what is the proper methode to export them to daz? Please keep in mind I do need a little detail as iq is somewhat low:)

2) Is there a way to refresh the menu in parameters instead of restarting Daz Studio.

btw, the tutorial here was very helpfull, so thanks.

"

Quote  Report Print Save

SickleYield  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Feb 12, 2012 9:45 pm

11.) Set one key to 1 in object mode and follow the tutorial in Post 1 from there.  You will need to do this separately for each one.

2.) No, it's in the content tab.  Right click My Library or any tab under that and choose "refresh."

Quote  Report Print Save

bruce32466  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Mon, Feb 13, 2012 5:29 am

Thanks.

Quote  Report Print Save

razvanab  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Wed, Feb 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi millighost !

Is there any chance to update the script for the last version of blender 2.62 ?

Thank You

Quote  Report Print Save

millighost  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Feb 24, 2012 5:58 am

Quote - "

Hi millighost !

Is there any chance to update the script for the last version of blender 2.62 ?

..."

Sure, i could. But the old version still works (i tested with 2.62 from svn today). Do you have any specific problems?

Quote  Report Print Save

razvanab  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Feb 24, 2012 8:09 am

I tried with the last version 2.62 and i get this error

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7108/blendv.jpg

Quote  Report Print Save

millighost  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Feb 24, 2012 8:19 am

Quote - "

I tried with the last version 2.62 and i get this error

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7108/blendv.jpg

"

This error is raised by the script complaining it cannot find a "geometry_library" in the file it tries to load (i.e. the file does not have a mesh in it). Most likely you tried to load the wrong dsf file. After you installed Genesis using daz's installer, you will have two files called Genesis.dsf:

<install-directory>/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf and
<install-directory>/People/Genesis/Genesis.dsf

You need to use the one in the data directory (first line), not the one in the People directory. Could this be your problem?

Quote  Report Print Save

razvanab  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Feb 24, 2012 11:37 am

Yes indeed i was trying to load the one from people...

Thank You ! 

Quote  Report Print Save

MWMPHX  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Feb 26, 2012 4:03 pm, Edited Sun, Feb 26, 2012 4:06 pm
Attached File: MWMEyesAngle.dsf.txt (192 kilobytes)

Superb work millighost. I was up all night playing : ) I registered an account here just to thank you.

Notes:

You can work on related morphs by giving each one it's own key and hiding all but the one you want when you export. As millighost notes above, you can see the other morphs in edit mode so I am a very happy camper with this setup. Model me with a huge grin.

Filename becomes the hidden internal name (as opposed to the exposed label designated by the shape key name) for the morph. So, for instance, I save the .dsf with MWM as the first three letters in the filename so all my custom morphs can be isolated when doing an FBX export.

X mirror the mesh for symetric morphs. BTW, proportional editing (o) doesn't work in X mirror.

Now we need to share our morphs : D. I'm working on a face modeling set. Here's one y'all will surely want. Just delete the .txt extension and stick it in the morph folder or a subfolder of that folder

Quote  Report Print Save

MWMPHX  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Feb 26, 2012 4:09 pm

Additional note:

Whatever value range you assign the shape key in Blender becomes the default range in Studio.

Quote  Report Print Save

MWMPHX  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Feb 28, 2012 2:23 am, Edited Tue, Feb 28, 2012 2:35 am

You can open up a .dsf in a text editor. Notepad ++ works better than regular notepad for this—it can read all the code and give it a clean nested look. The format looks like .json and it's not too hard to figure out the structure.

This means you can make a symetric morph of, say, a smile wrinkle, make two copies of it, and delete the negative vertices in one and the positive in the other so you have one for each side too.

Now I need an easy way to calculate bone push values to go with some of the more radical morphs. : )

P.S. Don't forget to halve the "count" value when modifying the .dsf. (Not the "vertex_count"!)

Quote  Report Print Save

millighost  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Mar 6, 2012 6:23 pm

Here is a little update to the morph exporter script; i have made some
changes and a few additions:

1) i added a script to load morphs as shapekeys, so you can create morphs that are based on other morphs (like Victoria 5 for example).
  2) i added a script to load uv coordinates for the imported figures. It does not load textures, you have to do that manually, but the UVs are there, so you could use blender's projection painting on Genesis.
  3) i packaged the scripts into a single directory (with lots of files in it), which makes maintenance easier.
  Here is a step by step how to handle these:

Only if you have the old version installed:

If you have the two scripts 'export_dsf_morph.py' and 'import_dsf_geom.py' (old version of this stuff) installed, best is to remove them first; disable them in the user preferences by unchecking the checkmark (illustration), then remove the scripts from your blender addons directory.

Quote  Report Print Save

millighost  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Mar 6, 2012 6:26 pm
Attached File: dsf_utils.zip.txt (14.2 kilobytes)

After that, unpack the attached zip-file into your contents into your blender addons directory (it is named with a .txt extension because this forum does not seem to allow attachment of .zip files). On my system that would be

v:/blender262/2.62/scripts/addons

If you are running linux, you can unpack it into your personal blender directory:

~/.blender/2.62/scripts/addons

The zip contains a subdirectory 'dsf', so after unpacking you should end up with a directory like v:/blender262/2.62/scripts/addons/dsf. The exact path, of course, can be different for your system.

Quote  Report Print Save

millighost  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Mar 6, 2012 6:27 pm

In blender's user preferences (in the addons tab in the Import-Export category) you should have one entry named dsf-utils. Enable it by clicking the checkmark. There is only one common checkmark for all the different import/export options.

Quote  Report Print Save

millighost  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Mar 6, 2012 6:28 pm, Edited Tue, Mar 6, 2012 6:37 pm

Now you have all the features enabled. The usage of the operators for importing a dsf geometry file (import dsf-geom) and exporting a shapekey (export dsf-morph) have not changed from the previous version (see the start of the thread), so i concentrate on the new functions:

To import a morph into blender, first you select the genesis mesh in the viewport, then you select the 'dsf-morph (.dsf)' entry from the menu (illustration) (the operator is called 'import dsf-morph'), which will open a file dialog, which you need to point to a DAZ-Studio file containing a morph.

Quote  Report Print Save

millighost  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Mar 6, 2012 6:32 pm

The morph files for Genesis are somewhere in the data-directory of your DAZ content installation, usually in a subdirectory named 'Morphs', sometimes they are not that easy to find, because they are scattered all over the place, and they have no definitive name (all dsf files end with '.dsf' but apart from that one cannot tell what some file contains without actually looking into it, so you might have to guess now and then. But files starting with PHM (partial head morph) or FBM (full body morph) are likely to contain morphs. In the screenshot i used the Aiko4 morph, which is located in "data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Aiko 4/FBMAiko4.dsf" within the daz studio data installation directory. Click the 'import dsf-morph' button in the upper right to load the morph.

Quote  Report Print Save

millighost  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Mar 6, 2012 6:33 pm

The morph gets loaded as a shapekey (visible in the mesh-properties panel), and will be based on the base shapekey of the mesh. If no base shapekey is defined, the script will create one. If you select the Aiko 4 shapekey and dial the value to 1, you will see the morph applied. Note, that this script only loads the morph, and no poses; some Genesis characters not only contain the morph, but addionally an automatic pose (usually to make Genesis or parts of it smaller), but this script does not handle this.

Quote  Report Print Save

MWMPHX  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Mar 6, 2012 6:43 pm

You da man.

Now to go play.

Quote  Report Print Save

millighost  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Mar 6, 2012 6:48 pm

The process to load a uvset is very similar to loading a morph, so i explain it only shortly: In the File-Import menu, you select the entry 'dsf-uvset (.dsf)' and point the file browser to a dsf-file containing a UV-set. UV-sets are somewhere within the data-directory of your DAZStudio installation within a directory named "UV Sets" (illustration top). For example the standard Genesis UVs are in the file

"data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/UV Sets/DAZ 3D/Base/Genesis.dsf"

After you load it, it will show up in blender under "UV Maps" within the mesh property panel (see illustration, bottom), with a name that was taken from contents of the dsf-file. Blender (like DAZStudio) supports multiple UV maps, so you can load more than one and switch between them.

A final note for these scripts in general and the uv-set import in particular: Because the blender developers are currently working on incorporating the bmesh into blender, the uv-map import currently does not work with any blender newer than 2.62 (it does work with the official 2.62 release). Also, i think there is a high chance, that if you use the bleeding edge version of blender these scripts will just stop working after some blender update. At time of this writing they still work with the svn-version, but from previous experiences i know that this can change any second, you have been warned. Have fun.

Quote  Report Print Save

DaremoK3  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sat, Mar 10, 2012 2:18 pm

Thank you millighost for the new update, and all your hard work.

Quote  Report Print Save

MagicWeaver  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Apr 22, 2012 6:14 am, Edited Sun, Apr 22, 2012 6:16 am

thank you, it's April and they still work just fine.

Quote  Report Print Save

manfrommars  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Mon, Apr 30, 2012 7:24 am, Edited Mon, Apr 30, 2012 7:25 am

i get errors with the 2.63 release.

Quote  Report Print Save

Vaskania  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sat, May 5, 2012 12:02 am

Quote - "i get errors with the 2.63 release."

Same here.

Here's my python console:

Quote - "

found bundled python: E:\Program Files\Blender64\2.63\python
INFO:mesh_import_dsf:execute (path = F:\Daz Studio\!!My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Gene
sis\Base\Genesis.dsf, kwargs = {'uvs': True, 'use_material': True, 'materials':
True, 'groups': True})
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\V\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.63\scripts\addon
s\import_dsf_geom.py", line 276, in execute
    import_dsf_file (self.properties.filepath, import_props)
s\import_dsf_geom.py", line 231, in import_dsf_file
    dsf_geom_define.define_model (geom, use_mat = 'use_mat' in props)
s\import_dsf_geom.py", line 175, in define_model
    mesh_obj = self.define_geom ('Mesh', geom)
s\import_dsf_geom.py", line 101, in define_geom
    mesh_dat.faces.add (len (f) // 4)
AttributeError: 'Mesh' object has no attribute 'faces'

"

Quote  Report Print Save

engetudo1  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sat, May 5, 2012 11:23 pm

Quote - "

found bundled python: E:Program FilesBlender642.63python
INFO:mesh_import_dsf:execute (path = F:Daz Studio!!My LibrarydataDAZ 3DGene
sisBaseGenesis.dsf, kwargs = {'uvs': True, 'use_material': True, 'materials':
True, 'groups': True})
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:UsersVAppDataRoamingBlender FoundationBlender2.63scriptsaddon
simport_dsf_geom.py", line 276, in execute
    import_dsf_file (self.properties.filepath, import_props)
simport_dsf_geom.py", line 231, in import_dsf_file
    dsf_geom_define.define_model (geom, use_mat = 'use_mat' in props)
simport_dsf_geom.py", line 175, in define_model
    mesh_obj = self.define_geom ('Mesh', geom)
simport_dsf_geom.py", line 101, in define_geom
    mesh_dat.faces.add (len (f) // 4)
AttributeError: 'Mesh' object has no attribute 'faces'

"

I got same error message. 2.63

I opened .pl  by text edittor once. 

I installed daz contents onother volume.

Quote  Report Print Save

engetudo1  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sat, May 5, 2012 11:49 pm

I import "//mylibrary/data/daz 3D/genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf

and I used dsf-utils.

Quote  Report Print Save

engetudo1  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, May 6, 2012 1:16 am

consolewindow log.

/////////

found bundled python: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.63\python INFO:mesh_import_dsf:execute (path = I:\myfile\dazstudio4\Mylibrary\data\DAZ 3D\ Genesis\Base\Genesis.dsf, kwargs = {'uvs': True, 'use_material': True, 'material s': True, 'groups': True}) Traceback (most recent call last):   File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.63\scripts\addons\dsf\dsf_ geom_import.py", line 100, in execute     import_dsf_file (self.properties.filepath, import_props)   File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.63\scripts\addons\dsf\dsf_ geom_import.py", line 54, in import_dsf_file     obj = dsf_geom_define.define_model (geom, use_mat = 'use_mat' in props)   File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.63\scripts\addons\dsf\dsf_ geom_define.py", line 120, in define_model     mesh_obj = self.define_geom ('Mesh', geom)   File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.63\scripts\addons\dsf\dsf_ geom_define.py", line 45, in define_geom     mesh_dat.faces.add (len (f) // 4) AttributeError: 'Mesh' object has no attribute 'faces'

////////

blender cant tell correct path?

Quote  Report Print Save

millighost  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, May 6, 2012 8:02 pm
Attached File: dsf_utils_263.zip.txt (15.6 kilobytes)

You are right, thanks for letting me know. The errors stem from blender currently implementing the bmesh model, which requires some changes in the scripts. The attached zip contains an update, containing some bugfixes for the bmesh. If you use blender 2.63 it should work. It uses and relies on bmesh, so it will not work for older blenders. I hope it will work for future blenders, too, but the bmesh stuff still seems to be a bit volatile, so it might break again.

The capability to import UV coordinates should work again; i did not check every polygon, but overall it looks right. It uses some functions from the blender api, which are less well documented, so there might be some things not right. If you notice something like that, please let me know.

Have fun - millighost

Quote  Report Print Save

Unread Post(s) Unread Announcement You are a visitor.