Welcome to the LightWave Forum

Forum Moderators: petes, TalleyJC

LightWave F.A.Q. (last updated 2005-01-09 00:00:00)

Subject: "(Animation) Creating your own MoCap using your own camera(s)" By: newhere

Author
newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Thu, Oct 25, 2007 2:02 pm

Please do not reply to this post this is just a tutorial

"(Animation) Creating your own MoCap using your own camera(s)" (The basics)

Before starting I am assuming that you already know how to use Lightwave 3D (Modeler/Layout). If not Please go to your “help” option tab in Layout so you can understand the tools better that are going to be using in this lesson.

Using Camera(s) for recording:

First, we need to record the film we are going to use as a MoCap guide. Now using one or two cameras, record yourself throwing two punches at a “side view” and at a “front view” as shown in “Example1”……Please note: your recording duration should be no more than 1 or 2 seconds. Save the movie for the camera that recorded your side profile as “Side view.avi” and the camera that recorded your front profile as “Front view.avi” on your desktop. Now that you have recorded your MoCap, we are now going to use them in Lightwave.

Modeler:

Open up Lightwave Modeler and in the first layer create two polygon squares as shown in “Example2”

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Thu, Oct 25, 2007 2:03 pm, Edited Thu, Oct 25, 2007 2:05 pm

Example2

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Thu, Oct 25, 2007 2:07 pm

Like shown in “Example3” Select the polygon facing forward and give it a surface name called “front” and then hit ok.

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Thu, Oct 25, 2007 2:07 pm

Like shown in “Example4” Select the polygon facing sideways and give it a surface name called “side” and then hit ok. 

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Thu, Oct 25, 2007 2:08 pm

Change the upper left Viewport window option from Top (XZ) to “UV Texture.” Use “Example5” as a reference.

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Thu, Oct 25, 2007 2:09 pm

Select the surface call “front” and Click the “T” option (highlighted in red in “Example6”) to turn on the “Create UV texture map” window. Follow what it shows in “Example6” and then hit ok.

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Thu, Oct 25, 2007 2:10 pm

Select the surface call “side” and Click the “T” option (highlighted in red in “Example7”) to turn on the “Create UV texture map” window. Follow what it shows in “Example7” and then hit ok. When you are done, Change the upper left Viewport window option from UV Texture to “Top (XZ).” Use “Example8” as a reference.

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Thu, Oct 25, 2007 2:10 pm

Example 8

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Thu, Oct 25, 2007 2:11 pm

Press F6 on your keyboard to open up “Image Editor” and load (it is highlighted in red in “Example9”) up both movies from your desktop called “Side view.avi” and “Front view.avi”

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Thu, Oct 25, 2007 2:12 pm

Now that you have loaded the movies, close the “Image Editor” window and press F5 on your keyboard to open up the “Surface Editor” window. Click the surface called “front” and then click on the “T” button to open up the “Texture editor” window and follow the setup that is shown in “Example10”

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Thu, Oct 25, 2007 2:13 pm

Ok now Click the surface called “side” and then click on the “T” button to open up the “Texture editor” window and follow the setup that is shown in “Example11”. Once you are done with that, save the object as “Movie setup” and then close Lightwave modeler.

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Thu, Oct 25, 2007 2:14 pm

Layout:

Ok we are now going to use those videos in layout to make our MoCap data. Open up Lightwave Layout and load in the object called “Movie setup” once you do that save your scene as “MoCap setup.” Now we are going to add a null. Click the null button highlighted in red in “Example12”. Name the null as “Head_Top.” Change the “Item shape” to ball as shown in “Example 12” and scale it down to 20mm. Once you are done you are going to repeat this same step but instead of giving all the nulls the same name, you are going to name each null as follows:

Head_Bottom
Spinal_Top
RightShoulder
LeftShoulder
RightElbow
LeftElbow
Right_Hand
Left_Hand
Waist
RightKnee
LeftKnee
RightFoot
LeftFoot

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Thu, Oct 25, 2007 2:15 pm, Edited Thu, Oct 25, 2007 2:16 pm

Ok now that you have each null named and they have an item shape we are now going to place each null with a specific name to a specific location. Use “Example13” as a guide to place the nulls you named to a specific location. I am quite sure by now you are like (what in the world are we doing here!) well let me explain it to you. The nulls that you positioned are the reference data that we are going to use for MoCap data. Every time we move to a new keyframe the nulls are going to be placed in a new location according to the videos that you recorded earlier of you throwing punches.

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Thu, Oct 25, 2007 2:23 pm

Ok now here is the long part, What you have to do now is go to every new key frame and when you see the background video of yourself in a new position, you have to place the nulls you named in the a new position according to the videos. “Example14” and “Example15” will show the differences in the keyframes. Please note: in the examples 14 & 15 all I did to give it the look of a rig (even though it is not a real rig setup) is I made a certain null target another null corresponding to it. (Ex: LeftFoot targets LeftKnee – LeftKnee targets Waist, etc.) Once you finish and you are happy with animation save it again and load up a character with a rig already setup. Once your character is loaded in the scene, pose your character in the first fame of the timeline in the position of the MoCap data and then parent all the nulls that are on the Rig of your character to the nulls that you animated earlier as shown in “Example16.” If you don’t have a rig setup or don’t know how to make one please check http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/animation/rigging/index.html
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/animation/CharRigging/index.php to make your very own rig for your character(s).

I hope this tutorial has been helpful to you. If you have had any trouble reading this you can download the files from this lesson.

!!!4 Tutorial tips in one!!! Has been brought to you by: newhere on renderosity.com

Copyright * 2007

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Thu, Oct 25, 2007 2:25 pm, Edited Thu, Oct 25, 2007 2:33 pm

Sorry but i had to put Examples 13- 16 in a new thread please look for it. Or when it is on neighborhood news

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Thu, Oct 25, 2007 3:54 pm

UPDATE: EXAMPLES 13-16 below...

EXAMPLE 13:

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

EXAMPLE 14:

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

EXAMPLE 15:

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Thu, Oct 25, 2007 3:55 pm, Edited Thu, Oct 25, 2007 3:55 pm

EXAMPLE 16:

Quote  Report Print Save

crocodilian  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Sun, Nov 11, 2007 3:06 pm

Congratulations newhere! This is very clever.

Looking at your video source, I'd have said that you'd have all sorts of trouble-- the video is very cluttered, not what I'm used to seeing as mocap source. But your end result is extremely good, at a fraction of the cost, (not to mention the hassle), of traditional mocap solutions.

I'm impressed.

The only thing that I'd add is: Why not put some markers on the actor, so you record the null positions as you move? Just get a tight fitting pair of white long johns, and put red dots at the key null locations. . . this will make the process go more quickly in Lightwave.

Your technique is very impressive. One of the biggest problems I have with traditional automated mocap is the noisiness -- markers overlapping and "jumping" to illogical places. Your way involves more work, but will be much more robust to "bad data".

Again, thank you, this is very impressive.

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Mon, Nov 12, 2007 5:51 pm

Actually crocodilian i did try the long Johns thing.....it is just that when the postition point goes around corners of a person or thing, it does not pick it up as clearly as it would if you were to manually do it. Of course there is always the solution of buying the Equipment ($20,000 to $50,000 worth **sigh**)

Thanks to you and to all who have read my tutorials :)

Quote  Report Print Save

AlbertGriffin  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Nov 13, 2007 10:34 am

haven't commented yet, a little beyond my budget and skills.
It IS an interesting train of thought though. Pent had a tutorial on his site suggesting a very similar method.
I find myself limited to NO video cam, and only me as a model.
I severly doubt I can use mocap like this to help me (an fat old guy) to animate a more sexy tall woman. Nor is my old fat body likely to provide any nija moves or dance moves. <grin>

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Nov 13, 2007 12:17 pm, Edited Tue, Nov 13, 2007 12:20 pm

Well it depends on what you are going for. With MoCap it doesn't matter how you look, it's about what you are trying to get done as far as animated movement...that's all. If you can somewhat be an actor then you can do all kinds of animations with any kind of character (well......humanoid anyway).

Quote  Report Print Save

AlbertGriffin  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Nov 13, 2007 12:24 pm

true, but proportions and ability DO matter.

Let us face it, I couldn't do martial arts 15 years ago when I was fit for service, I can't do them now.

Usings videos of OTHERS may work, gawd knows Youtube has enough stuff there.

Of course, my needs for martial arts are far from here. If i DO do my space opera, near the end there IS a sword fight. (yes, I know, There are logical reasons for it. In the end, the villian cheats, and thus does himself in.)

Now I 'could' video tape two people who KNOW what they are doing, and work from that.
Or I could work manually and have less risk of people getting hurt.
(Mind you, neither of my characters are 'experts' which is part of why it works)

I have taken a break from animating characters for a while anyway. Working on my space scene and gettings some insight there.

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Nov 13, 2007 12:29 pm

lol..point well taken. As far as proportions goes......the video that i recorded was like a million times bigger then the actual character. All of my characters i make are 500mm tall (habit don't ask why). i had to resize the video down to fit my characters before i start rotoscoping.

Quote  Report Print Save

Tephladon  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Nov 30, 2007 2:28 am, Edited Fri, Nov 30, 2007 2:31 am

Heyas folks.  I just wanted to chime in.  This is a great topic and I commend you on your efforts newhere.   It's better than anything I've ever come up with.

Anyway I have a solution that doesn't cost 20k.  It cost 5k which is affordable in most respects.
follow this URL
http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/

Mocap is the only thing keeping my project from going forward.  I've got money aside and a team of people in my sight (actors) at a local acting, dance school, and gymnastics academy who are interested in what I'm doing.  I plan to make my purchase next year after I pay my taxes which is usually around the end of March.

Believe me when I tell you that children are by far much easier to work with as far as flexiblity.  Pre-teen children who are active are often very flexible, and those in the camps are general receptive to guidance.  The coaches here want their kids to be involved in projects like these to allow them to expand their engagement beyond the sport.  Just remember to gain support of their parents.  Atheletes generally don't mind the gimp suit.

Quote  Report Print Save

newhere  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Fri, Nov 30, 2007 12:20 pm

Thanks for the link Tephladon I think everyone will benefit from this :)

Quote  Report Print Save

Unread Post(s) Unread Announcement You are a visitor.