Welcome to the LightWave Forum

Forum Moderators: petes, TalleyJC

LightWave F.A.Q. (last updated 2005-01-09 00:00:00)

Subject: How do you create lasers in Lightwave 8.0?

Author
BirdsofMay  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Oct 9, 2007 12:42 pm, Edited Tue, Oct 9, 2007 12:42 pm

I found and read the photon torpedo tutorial, but I haven't had any luck with finding a laser shot tutorial.

Does anyone know where a laser shot creation and animation tutorial is for Lightwave 8.0?

www.myspace.com/donovan448

I'm always looking for artists to join me in bringing to life a my new exciting science fiction series. If you would like to join me, please send me an email, and I'll send you a confidentiality agreement so that we can get started ASAP. Remember, George Lucas was not much of a writer, but he accomplish so mush regardless. Just think of what a real writer combined with artists can do. ;)

Quote  Report Print Save

pentamiter_beastmete  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Oct 9, 2007 1:34 pm

try just making a thin long cylinder in modeller, colouring it, red, green, whatever.. give it luminosity, enable glow.

Quote  Report Print Save

BirdsofMay  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Oct 9, 2007 2:05 pm

Quote - "try just making a thin long cylinder in modeller, colouring it, red, green, whatever.. give it luminosity, enable glow."

I've tried that, and it works okay; however, I'm having a bit of trouble animating it. Got any suggestions on how to animate it?

www.myspace.com/donovan448

I'm always looking for artists to join me in bringing to life a my new exciting science fiction series. If you would like to join me, please send me an email, and I'll send you a confidentiality agreement so that we can get started ASAP. Remember, George Lucas was not much of a writer, but he accomplish so mush regardless. Just think of what a real writer combined with artists can do. ;)

Quote  Report Print Save

onnetz  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Oct 9, 2007 2:56 pm

I'm not getting what your having problems with. You said your trying to animate it but thats like saying your having trouble getting to the moon without knowing by what means.
 Are you trying to ricochet it?

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or play with it,

just pee on it and walk away. :-)

I wouldnt have to manage my anger

if people would manage their stupidity......

Quote  Report Print Save

BirdsofMay  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Oct 9, 2007 3:14 pm, Edited Tue, Oct 9, 2007 3:15 pm

Quote - "I'm not getting what your having problems with. You said your trying to animate it but thats like saying your having trouble getting to the moon without knowing by what means.
 Are you trying to ricochet it?"

Okay, for example: While moving the ship, not the camera, do I move the laser cylinders along with the ship? Do set the laser or lasers at zero percent transparency then increase to one-hundered? Do I scale it using one size to another or do I simply just move the laser cylinder from one point to another?

In other words, what is the most realistic way of animating a laser?

Quote  Report Print Save

onnetz  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Oct 9, 2007 5:33 pm

Hopefully someone better at animation than I am will jump in but I can see several ways of doing it. Parent the laser to the ship (if thats whats firing it) and then animate the lasers size and surface. Or perhaps you could use object dissolve and an effector. Realistically I think the dissolve would work nicely because then you could show it building up before it actually fires.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or play with it,

just pee on it and walk away. :-)

I wouldnt have to manage my anger

if people would manage their stupidity......

Quote  Report Print Save

pentamiter_beastmete  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Oct 9, 2007 7:10 pm

Quote - "Do set the laser or lasers at zero percent transparency then increase to one-hundered? Do I scale it using one size to another or do I simply just move the laser cylinder from one point to another?"

u got 3 ways urself right there... all of which would produce exactly the same effect

Quote  Report Print Save

AlbertGriffin  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Tue, Oct 9, 2007 8:35 pm

A LOT depends on WHAT effect you are going for.
Lasars traval at light speed, so it would basically be an on off thing if done realistically, but no one DOES them that way.
They do beams that move slow enough for you to SEE them move.
In the most general sense, I would model a lasar beam as a long thin cylinder, along one axis. (say going down the Z axis)
Make the start at the origin.
NOW when you bring in the object to your scene, you move it to the point of leaving the ship that is shooting it.
You can 'aim' the beam with the rotation controls, and use the scale along the Z to strech it from the ship to the target. (This is why I suggested setting the start at the origin.)
To allow you to animate the BEAM, you could at a null parrented to the beam itself. Set your glowing with a gradient based on that Null, and by moving it you can set a buldge in the beam, color changes, etc.
By parrenting it to the beam (and matching the heading) you can traval that point along the beam just by moving along your Z axis.
All this would be easier to do visiually than my describing, but hopefully I have sugested enough for you to work.

And my ALWAYS important point for ALL my advice:
THIS is NOT the ONLY way to do this, or even the best. This is simply ONE way it could be done.
There are many many ways in LW to do what you want.

Quote  Report Print Save

BirdsofMay  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Thu, Oct 11, 2007 10:09 am, Edited Thu, Oct 11, 2007 10:10 am

Quote - "A LOT depends on WHAT effect you are going for.
Lasars traval at light speed, so it would basically be an on off thing if done realistically, but no one DOES them that way.
They do beams that move slow enough for you to SEE them move.
In the most general sense, I would model a lasar beam as a long thin cylinder, along one axis. (say going down the Z axis)
Make the start at the origin.
NOW when you bring in the object to your scene, you move it to the point of leaving the ship that is shooting it.
You can 'aim' the beam with the rotation controls, and use the scale along the Z to strech it from the ship to the target. (This is why I suggested setting the start at the origin.)
To allow you to animate the BEAM, you could at a null parrented to the beam itself. Set your glowing with a gradient based on that Null, and by moving it you can set a buldge in the beam, color changes, etc.
By parrenting it to the beam (and matching the heading) you can traval that point along the beam just by moving along your Z axis.
All this would be easier to do visiually than my describing, but hopefully I have sugested enough for you to work.

And my ALWAYS important point for ALL my advice:
THIS is NOT the ONLY way to do this, or even the best. This is simply ONE way it could be done.
There are many many ways in LW to do what you want."

Thanks, that will help a bit. I'll try some of these things.

Quote  Report Print Save

EagleWing1000  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Mon, Oct 15, 2007 4:34 am

Create 2 Cylinders in Modeler, one sitting inside the other, light the first with very high luminosity and with the other add some transparency based on surface thickness. colour this one a very slightly lighter colour than the middle cylinder, be sure to have radiosity enabled in layout or you won't get the full effect. :)

4GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTX SLI

Quote  Report Print Save

EagleWing1000  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Mon, Oct 15, 2007 4:44 am

Attached Link: Lightsabers.

I think this is what you're looking for mate....

4GB RAM

Quote  Report Print Save

EagleWing1000  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Mon, Oct 15, 2007 5:31 am

also as a tip, setting luminosity to 850% deals with any motion blur problems that might arise.

4GB RAM

Quote  Report Print Save

BirdsofMay  

Homepage »

Stats

Posted Mon, Oct 15, 2007 11:28 am

:) I think this will work. I'll try it out. Many thanks:)

Quote  Report Print Save

Unread Post(s) Unread Announcement You are a visitor.