BIO Carina Dumais
In 1994 I started using new media, among which computer software as Poser, painter, Photoshop, etc. I'm using those tools to create visual art, design, artwork and illustrations. In my visual art I'm trying tot express a tension between reality and fiction, or between realism and artificiality, creating a style which is completely mine.
Education and Experience:
Rietveld Academy for visual arts, Amsterdam, The Netherlands Graphic Media Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands Autodidactic studies.
Work and expositions:
* Dos Mundos/Two Worlds: Exposition Musea Galerie Peón Contreras, Merida, Mexico. 29 -10 till 27-11, 2010. Support by the Mondriaan Foundation, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
In preparation for this exhibition I went to Mexico (October 2009). I kept two conferences, where the plans for the exhibition are presented, including an explanation of my work, the theme of the exhibition, and the techniques I use.
Additionally, I started my research into the Mayan culture, the traditions and their integration at this time. I used, inter alia, through photography, heard the stories and observed the customs and rituals of the contemporary Maya. The end of the Mayan calendar in 2012 today attracts worldwide attention. This creates a confusing picture in which legends of past and present are playing a role. Is the future a new culture, and what shapes and stories may all think? This I have studied and incorporated into my Art.
All models in my art are real Maya people I've photographed in Merida.
For more information visit:
* 3D Fashion Art Performance for the municipality Vlissingen, The Netherlands (2006);
* 3D Poser Art Route. Open air exhibition in the centre of Vlissingen, The Netherlands (2005);
* 'Poser best or the best Award 2005;
* "The secrets of Poser Experts", issued by Delmare Learning-Charles River Media (USA). Chapter 2,
* Cover illustration book De Lichtvlinder, published by Facet BelgiuM (2005)
* Different exhibitions at municipal institutions and galeries, The Netherlands (1980-2010)
* Sports Fashion Design for ABN-AMRO Bank, The Netherlands (1980)
* Different works in collection of art collectors.
For more information please visit: www.carinadumais.com